Post Thanks / Like

bp ultimate or so your led to believe???

i filled up the 5 with bp ultimate from my local garage the day , and when i put my 5 on the rollers it was det'n really bad , i hadnt changed anything on the car, so the only thing it could be was the fuel drained the tank and filled up with v-max and problem was sorted , im almost 99% sure its only unleaded i filled up with at my local garage from the ultimate pump

thing is i fill up my clio every week from the same garage , thats sum skin the garage is making if its just regular unleaded ,im contacting trading standards and my local paper ,im fuming , i went back to the garage and spoke with the manager on my way home , hes got my name and number and said he would get back to me .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: bp ultimate or so your led to believe???

well yes at the end of the day, how would any person know when you pick up the super pump your not getting normal unleaded, best thing to do is go get a sample, i donno use the rest for the lawn mower!!, but just have a jar full and then give it to tranding standards
    i had to do this when i got sediment in my fuel filter, luckily it had a inline one thats them clear cone shape ones, even had water in the petrol, didnt get jack all for it,all i got was a letter of applogise!

Post Thanks / Like

i work at the refinery,so on monday ill be looking into getting the sample ive kept analised , i know there is a Lab on site so ill see if i can pull a few strings

Post Thanks / Like

BP are fekin hiddiously expensive too for any of there fuel. The garages are always run down too.

Post Thanks / Like

personaly i go to shell

i take it you work for bp?

what a laugh if you did and your the one to find there super hasnt got enoth octane and to much hectaine (think thats right )

Post Thanks / Like

bp near pod do 102 ron i wonder how good it is as theres always a queue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHIE View Post
    bp near pod do 102 ron i wonder how good it is as theres always a queue
    Im not sure about this but doesnt the Ron go off (reduce) over time Ie if you put it in ya car then left it 2 weeks it would be lower octane?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenobi View Post
    Im not sure about this but doesnt the Ron go off (reduce) over time Ie if you put it in ya car then left it 2 weeks it would be lower octane?

Yeah thats true.

Post Thanks / Like

Petrol degrades over time. Sadly, the higher the octane, the quicker the bugger degrades

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So could it be that when the 97 ron BP ultimate is pumped into the undergound tank, it's 97 RON, but if say not many people in that area are filling up with BP ultimate and it sits in the tank for three weeks could it by that time be standard 95 ron? Bit like getting a bottom of the barrel pint at weatherspoons

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hub View Post
    So could it be that when the 97 ron BP ultimate is pumped into the undergound tank, it's 97 RON, but if say not many people in that area are filling up with BP ultimate and it sits in the tank for three weeks could it by that time be standard 95 ron? Bit like getting a bottom of the barrel pint at weatherspoons
    It could be exactly that. Thats why I never fill at my local BP, as no bugger EVER buys the goodstuff, and the girl at the desk once told me that tank only needs a once a month fill.

I use Shell V instead.

Post Thanks / Like

i used to use tesco's 99, but recently started using shell v, and it now does more miles to a tank?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hub View Post
    that aint a bad theory bud,

luckly i have 4 petrol stations with in miles of each other from the a25 and a225 cross roads, i live close to that and shell is all ways busy, so im lucky!

is it right that the r5's run better on 4 star? and as its rare its best to use super

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    i used to use tesco's 99, but recently started using shell v, and it now does more miles to a tank?!?
    yer mate thats what i was trying to explain, does it feel like better power and alot smoother

i think its due to shell detergants and aditives that helps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5GTTRaider View Post
    yer mate thats what i was trying to explain, does it feel like better power and alot smoother

i think its due to shell detergants and aditives that helps
    My derv does 50mpg to a tank more on the good stuff.

Saying that, I also mix the derv with 2 stroke oil to protect the pump, and that makes a big difference. A helluva lot quieter for a start.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always put v power in the 5, bp is always more expensive. Mud, what rollers did you go too?

Post Thanks / Like

AVA

Post Thanks / Like

Good show, i'm guessing the car is in good health judging by the pics of you on the strip at the pod.

Post Thanks / Like

just to update on this ,

i was contacted by BP and instructed to hand in a sample of the suspect fuel , which i did on friday , also there was a sample taken from the forecourt pump where i filled up .

I was just called and informed that both fuels met the spec of ultimate
    spoke with ava and we will do some more tests with the fuel ,just to see if they are at it
    but in the mean time it seems im a v-power customer from now on ,only prob is my nearest is 10-15 miles away.

you wouldnt have thought there would be that much difference between the shell and bp as its the same petrol but different additives but only 1 octane diff and the car was det'n pretty bad
    Last edited by Mudslinger; 09-06-2009 at 11:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Esso s.u and/or Tesco 99 FTW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
    I was just called and informed that both fuels met the spec of ultimate
    They're hardly gonna hold their hands up & say it's 95ron are they, as then that would leave them wide open for lawsuits galore

Imho, BP Ultimate & V-power are simply a waste of money. If you need to run higher octane, which in itself is questionable, fill up with Tesco 99.

In 99.9% of other scenarios though, Esso 97 does the trick nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

if i had the extra cash, id run down to brands hatch n fill up with there high octane fuel

you can send it to the ombusman (however its spelt) or some one other that bp, like said they wont tell you, there just go empty them tanks and not say a word!
    like when i got sand/debrie in my fuel, no compo or applogise, not a word realy aprt from there be investigating it, now dont bother, i fill up and shell or jet if i have to

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    They're hardly gonna hold their hands up & say it's 95ron are they, as then that would leave them wide open for lawsuits galore

Imho, BP Ultimate & V-power are simply a waste of money. If you need to run higher octane, which in itself is questionable, fill up with Tesco 99.

In 99.9% of other scenarios though, Esso 97 does the trick nicely.
    Tesco,esso,bp and shell and any other brands you can think off is all just the same petrol all coming from the same place , its the additives that are added that make the diff , ive actually got hold off the full spec and lab sheets from the mix of all the fuels , what i found interesting was that the blend is changed depending time of year / climate mostly all the same specs with the octane and vapour pressure the only diff's , ill scan them and post them up . oh also i asked about the fuel becoming flat so to speak ie losing octane due to lying to long ,it got laughed at by the lab techs and they said it was very unlikely .

just to recap

with the bp ultimate i could only run 15 psi any more and it was det'n /knocking
    drained the fuel and filled up with v-power and now the boost is running 28psi with no knock, pretty black and white for me ?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe, or maybe there's another underlying problem elsewhere? I personally can't see how you can run an additional 1bar of boost without any det' by simply swapping fuels for another one with a similar ron/mon/pon rating. If you were going from 97 to avgas, for example, then I could appreciate that, but not from BP s.u to Shell s.u

Perhaps I'm a cynic (ok, I am ) but don't you think it's somewhat concerning that you say detonation is induced at anything higher than 1bar boost, regardless of what fuel is being used? (unless of course your engine's c/r is into double figures?)

I know from my own logs (from the Evo and my old Raider) that detonation can be easily induced running a 95ron rated fuel as opposed to 97/98/99; I'll happily agree there, but that can be simply eliminated by backing off the ignition a degree or 3, or by reducing boost a few psi. In either scenario though, it's certainly not at a 'mediocre' level of boost akin to 1bar, and that's with regards to normal 95ron being in the tank as well.

Post Thanks / Like

well thats what happened

thats why im thinking the lab are telling porkies ?

but honestly m8 the car has never det'd in all the time it was being mapped, thats why it was strange that day , but all we did was change the fuel and it ran without det , no tweeks of the map nothing ? and yes if the car was run on 95 ron it would det , it doesnt have the safety of auto retarding the ign like most every day cars .

i need to get it back through and on the rr to try the fuel again , then try it with fresh bpU from another garage and see what the outcome is

Post Thanks / Like

maybe you had crap stuck in the 2nd jet making it run lean?

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe you had crap stuck in the 2nd jet making it run lean?
    It is fuel injection not carb

Post Thanks / Like

oh my bad didnt relise! thought we were on about a c1j!

edit: just seen he has efi, which does look awsome!

Post Thanks / Like

We are on about a C1J, but the engine code has nothing to do with the det problem...

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    We are on about a C1J, but the engine code has nothing to do with the det problem...
    Though technically the 1 does mean Parallel valves - single carburettor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    na i thought we were talking about a normal 5 turbo, then didnt relise it was a c1j with multi tbs and fuel injection,

Post Thanks / Like

na i thought we were talking about a normal 5 turbo, then didnt relise it was a c1j with multi tbs and fuel injection,
    5 Gt turbo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gttnutter View Post
    5 Gt turbo
    yar yar i know!!

Post Thanks / Like

Mud, on the drive back from golspie on sunday night i had to refuel at kinross bp, and the car was good all the way back to Edinburgh. Mind you i only run 14psi .
    I have had to put 95 ron fuel in on one occasion when the tank was really low and there was no high octane fuel available for miles.

Post Thanks / Like

suppose if you REALY have to fill up with 95, suppose its ok to drive off boost home, i know its doable but it would be safer, isnt 4star better to use?

Post Thanks / Like

95 ron isn't poison. I use it in my cup car at 15psi with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    95 ron isn't poison. I use it in my cup car at 15psi with no problems.
    ahyer i know but you never know, i know it wont kill it but its not safe to use on full boost every day surely

Post Thanks / Like

ahyer i know but you never know, i know it wont kill it but its not safe to use on full boost every day surely
    When Mart bought Trusty, it had 80k odd on the clocks, and he always ran it on 95 ron fuel. When the engine was taken out and put into my cup car it had done around 145k miles. Since then it's done around 2k miles, all on track, and all with 95. The only failure that that engine's had in all that time is a blown h/g, and that was down to a split water hose.

Post Thanks / Like

suppose if you REALY have to fill up with 95, suppose its ok to drive off boost home, i know its doable but it would be safer, isnt 4star better to use?
    4star used to be put in fives because it did have a higher octane than normal unleaded back in the day. No use in todays world though as its a load of pony and the valve seats are good enough.

Mud
    oh also i asked about the fuel becoming flat so to speak ie losing octane due to lying to long ,it got laughed at by the lab techs and they said it was very unlikely .

Thats a load of bollocks, every one I have spoke to about higher octane, higher oxygen content fuels have always said to be carefull how you store it as leaving it with the lid off for periods of time will fcuk it, also if you fuel system is not properly sealed it will go off too, i.e a breather pipe with no one way valve on etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    When Mart bought Trusty, it had 80k odd on the clocks, and he always ran it on 95 ron fuel. When the engine was taken out and put into my cup car it had done around 145k miles. Since then it's done around 2k miles, all on track, and all with 95. The only failure that that engine's had in all that time is a blown h/g, and that was down to a split water hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    4star used to be put in fives because it did have a higher octane than normal unleaded back in the day. No use in todays world though as its a load of pony and the valve seats are good enough.

Mud
    oh also i asked about the fuel becoming flat so to speak ie losing octane due to lying to long ,it got laughed at by the lab techs and they said it was very unlikely .

Thats a load of bollocks, every one I have spoke to about higher octane, higher oxygen content fuels have always said to be carefull how you store it as leaving it with the lid off for periods of time will fcuk it, also if you fuel system is not properly sealed it will go off too, i.e a breather pipe with no one way valve on etc.
    well its hardly going to go off by the time i drive 20 miles is it ? and im sure the tanks on the forecourt arent going to be sitting with the lid off when i asked the question i was referring to how long the fuel was sitting in the tank at the garage not lying in the car tank or in canisters.

"my car runs 95ron bla this car runs 95 with no probs "calm doon nobody is saying it wont , my car has been mapped to run on v-power and if the BPU i bought turns out to be geniuen then it seems in my case the shell is the better fuel , i could quite easily go back to the rollers and get the car re-mapped using the BPU ,but it would mean not running as much boost as it can with the shell , I still think this fuel is only 95 unleaded but without doing more testing its pretty hard to prove .

Post Thanks / Like

Coincidence or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    Coincidence or not.
    Think you have found your answer mate.
    You said you ran out of fuel too so your tank would have been nearly pure bp ultimate.

Post Thanks / Like

As ive always used 4* In my previous R5's I've always been dubious about what to use and lead replacement. A friend on rtoc suggested i just use unleaded
    I opted for the 97 and have nothing but crud.
    My light was on and I filled £20 worth. I didnt touch anything mechanically
    And used plain unleaded and things changed dramatically.
    Last edited by StuHERTS; 27-10-2012 at 22:56.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

me and jp and olli (aka ipswich) where talking about this months ago, and came to the same conclusions, but being out in the wilderness travelling to tesco or nearest shell is a bit of a trek, so went with plan b which involved buying tolulene of the bay 99% pure delivered to your door in big enough amounts, and mixing with the fuel from local stations, job done and no det, just dont get carried away 5% per volume is enough and should keep all your pistons clean and carbon free dont get tempted to run big amounts though, as you might come back to your car one day and find that all your rubber hoses have gone mine are all teflon lined

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    me and jp and olli (aka ipswich) where talking about this months ago, and came to the same conclusions, but being out in the wilderness travelling to tesco or nearest shell is a bit of a trek, so went with plan b which involved buying tolulene of the bay 99% pure delivered to your door in big enough amounts, and mixing with the fuel from local stations, job done and no det, just dont get carried away 5% per volume is enough and should keep all your pistons clean and carbon free dont get tempted to run big amounts though, as you might come back to your car one day and find that all your rubber hoses have gone mine are all teflon lined
    tolulene crazy stuff burns really fast not muct mpg but does stop det on c1j on a carb at 30psi+

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turbo ted View Post
    tolulene crazy stuff burns really fast not muct mpg but does stop det on c1j on a carb at 30psi+

how goes the beast, and hows the little pinkies doing

Post Thanks / Like

So regarding the thread I started(strange noise on boost)is it quite possible that my car which ran fine suddenly started to detonate because of some dodgy/old fuel I put in.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    So regarding the thread I started(strange noise on boost)is it quite possible that my car which ran fine suddenly started to detonate because of some dodgy/old fuel I put in.

if you checked the aei line and you fueling is okay wot, then i would say yes. it could well be enough to det, but maybe timing etc might be worth checking if it happens again on 99/shell at 16ps+