Post Thanks / Like

Breather system

At the moment I have a hose off the rocker going to the pot which has a breather filter on top then off the bottom a pipe that drains back to the sump. Question is can I just fit the breather filter to the rocker cover and blank off the drain pipe or is this used as a crank case breather?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Breather system

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    At the moment I have a hose off the rocker going to the pot which has a breather filter on top then off the bottom a pipe that drains back to the sump. Question is can I just fit the breather filter to the rocker cover and blank off the drain pipe or is this used as a crank case breather?
    the sump an be bloked off as thats not a breather. i woulnt run just a filter off the rocker due to the mess it can make. run it into a seperate catch tank ie lucazade bottle. as long as it can breath.

Post Thanks / Like

only prob with not running the oe breather system is that the crank gases and pressure isnt sucked of by the turbo, which means you wouldnt be getting negitive pressure in the crank which in turn keeps seals and gaskets leaking/failing as it keeps the inside pressure lower than the outside pressure, thats if ive got that part right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5GTTRaider View Post
    only prob with not running the oe breather system is that the crank gases and pressure isnt sucked of by the turbo, which means you wouldnt be getting negitive pressure in the crank which in turn keeps seals and gaskets leaking/failing as it keeps the inside pressure lower than the outside pressure, thats if ive got that part right

I don't know who told you that but its a load of b******s The turbo doesn't suck anything from the breather system...

I run rocker cover to breather pot then to a catch tank. Id recommend keeping the crankcase breather especially if your running a lot of boost.

Post Thanks / Like

Another fail

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Technical advise on here should be thought about before being offered.... people's cars and lifes could be put in danger!

If you dont know the answer dont say f*ck all!

Post Thanks / Like

Posts Per Day: 10.89 it shows your keen to give advice mate but please have a think before you post

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to get shot of some more hoses, oh well

o.e breather system pah, weighs to much

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    I don't know who told you that but its a load of b******s The turbo doesn't suck anything from the breather system...
    If it doesnt suck anything why is the standard breather system connected to the turbo telephone hose ?

I thought the one way valve in the inlet manifold closes on boost so surely the only place the vapour from the breather system can go is into the telephone hose and through the turbo?, enlighten me please

Post Thanks / Like

BUMP !

There are a lot of people online now so someone should be able to give an answer.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Well yeah, the whole point of the GT's breather system is to create some vacuum in the rocker cover at all times. below boost the inlet manifold is creating the vacuum while on boost the turbo is creating some (but not a lot!) of vacuum too. either way the vapour is drawn back into the engine rarther than being vented.

No harm in blocking the sump drain off and running a breather like richie says, a lot of the big boost lads run like this to save oil and crap being blown back up the drain. One big bore breather from the rocker to a catch tank works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post

I run rocker cover to breather pot then to a catch tank. Id recommend keeping the crankcase breather especially if your running a lot of boost.
    oh doesnt it,

oh right so the breather pipe to the telephone hose is there for no reason then, and its connected to the brether pipes for no reason to, mm strange that

Post Thanks / Like

It'd be in your interest to stop posting on this thread... Its like a repeat of every other thread you've posted in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    It'd be in your interest to stop posting on this thread... Its like a repeat of every other thread you've posted in.
    and whats that supposed to mean

Post Thanks / Like

Why are you pm'ing me?

Your information isn't constructive, its plain stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    Why are you pm'ing me?

Your information isn't constructive, its plain stupid.

A feeling widly felt, (edited post due to feeling like i was being nasty, thinking about others feelings)

Post Thanks / Like

realy.. and it dosnt phase me in the slightest
    so tell me what purpose do you sugest the pipe from the top of the catch tank to the telephone hose serves

and i pm'ed you becasue i wanted to know what you ment.

sorry for the effort i caused you to lift your finger and click the private message link

Post Thanks / Like

realy.. and it dosnt phase me in the slightest
    so tell me what purpose do you sugest the pipe from the top of the catch tank to the telephone hose serves

and i pm'ed you becasue i wanted to know what you ment.

sorry for the effort i caused you to lift your finger and click the private message link

For the record. I do not give two ****s about anything (except for people's well being, also NOT wishing anything bad happening to them or their car)

R5GTTraider Open your eyes and ears mate. It strikes me your knowledge is what i call ''cruis knowledge'' Almost like chinese whispers. Possible the info was correct at the start, but i feel you were at the end of the line all to often.

Total truth, if your posting somthing your unsure of at least say... ''iam guessing at this'' or i think but i could be wrong.

I for one am fed up of shady advice, (cue mart... ohhh wait he is in belgium)

Also dont get the arse with people when they give you stick, for example adam. He has been around so long he baby sat jesus, (not the member jesus either)

Your breaking my balls, but i even still try help you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Total truth, if your posting somthing your unsure of at least say... ''iam guessing at this'' or i think but i could be wrong.
    u
    im not arging the fact here but

this is my o/p

Post Thanks / Like

fail You Just Went Bowling And Landed The Ball In The Other Lane

Post Thanks / Like

I heard once it went into the telephone hose to help with emissions is this true?

Post Thanks / Like

well im not all that good at bowling any way

any way before this gets even more stupid, and likley to dig myself a bigger hole, sorry if it came across wrong

and adam i wasnt having a go mate, was asking what you ment by your post

and jrp i did put thats if ive got that part right
    Last edited by R5GTTRaider; 04-05-2009 at 15:54.

Post Thanks / Like

We've discussed this before.

PLEASE DO NOT POST INFORMATION YOU'RE NOT ABSOLUTELY SURE ABOUT.

Post Thanks / Like

The breather pipe from the filler cap to the air intake on the GTA is there for emission purposes in that it's against some EU reg to dump the gases to atmosphere .

Post Thanks / Like

lol
    we should have a thread where we can just hurl abuse at each other for a laugh like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    A feeling widly felt, (edited post due to feeling like i was being nasty, thinking about others feelings)

rtoc goes pc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Young View Post
    lol
    we should have a thread where we can just hurl abuse at each other for a laugh like
    And the point of that would be? About as construtive as a demilition firm.

I,ve just ordered some 11mm hose to do the job with, is this big bore enough? Just need an catch tank now.

My mates zetec fiesta burnt oil a little and that was down to the breather system, to much pressure so it blew oil past the seals in the turbo and burnt it off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    And the point of that would be? About as construtive as a demilition firm.

I,ve just ordered some 11mm hose to do the job with, is this big bore enough? Just need an catch tank now
    i got 15mm plumbers pipe on mine mate that does the job so 11mm id should be good to go catch tanks are cheap on ebay

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered 11mm because it fits nice on the little 90 degree plastic elbow on the rocker.