Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

My 5 Raider Resto Project

Sorry if this sounds odd in places as I have cut and paste from another local forum where I had been cataloguing everything recently.

Hope I dont bore you all to death, my aim is to restore it to OEM glory, but with a special engine bay.... thats the plan... now i need the money!

I know i dont do euro, but i make an exception for these

Some people knew this was coming, a lot didnt as I spotted it at lunch and had it bought by 7pm that night. I`ve sort of reached my limiti with the scoob without spending several fortunes so i needed somethign else to entertain me.

I`ve been after one for years, and been so close to having one then let down so many times I lost count, but thanks to some fluke autotrader searching and 1 very kind mum lending me the extra reddies to have it on my drive, I finally bagged myself a Renault 5 GT Turbo - Raider

Its been garaged from 2003. 4 owners over 2 families, has pretty extensive history from new, and loads of reciepts, mot`s etc! it does need some love tho, the paint has suffered from being stored and does have its share of blemishes. So the pennies are being saved and counted to do a good quality rebuild.

spec :

1990 R5 GT Turbo - Raider
    57K miles

nearly 100% standard bar :

Koni suspension
    GT Tuning Group N clutch
    GT Tuning Dump Valve / Hardpipe
    GT Tuning heatshied
    GT Tuning Intake
    Devil exhaust system

theres also a Ktec / gt tuning or Prima grille in the boot... and it`ll be going bin bound, there is a campus grille fitted atm, which is also destined for the bin. other minor things are the OEM bumpers have been modded and smoothed and fitted with the GT Tuning bumper oval for the intake, they are also going for the bin.

its not going to be a very exciting car, just standard, and clean

but heres a few pics :

************************************************** ************************************

heres what i did yesterday, ill try not to make this into an epic, heres the bolt i removed yesterday thread also :

Full bodykit removed, front and rear bumpers, rear lights, bonnet, front brakes changed. I might try to clean up the arches some more today as I cant really tackle the rear brakes yet, plus i need my garage cleared before the interior comes out and my mums cracking up because her conservatory currently houses 2 subaru seats, 4 wheels and a full boot install from the integra.

sills arent the worst ive seen... to be fair my crx was 10 times worse.

some pics :

i`ve pm`d countless people about parts, no one has any.

so the shopping list is starting with :

2 new sills
    new front and rear bumpers and rubstrips
    new sideskirt mounts
    new bonnet
    new rear calipers and discs with bearings.
    that should blow a few hundred quid rather quickly

************************************************** ****************************************

after yesterdays attack on the front arches I thought that would do until today when I planned tackling the rear.

until simon (mr.sheen / scoobyireland) and michael (resintooth / RMS) decided they would like to visit late last night..... and here are the results. Massive thanks to them also, as I needed the boost of a few more opinions as to whether i`m going mental or not, plus it made me grow some balls for pulling the engine out

couple of shots of the arches from earlier in the day :

the engine before the carnage :

the engine during the carnage :

the smallest turbo in the world :

thats as far as we got until I find out if the engine comes out of the bay north or south.

************************************************** *****************************************

quick update, I`ve been out of action for about 10 days due to a chest infection, so most of the time i felt ok was spent taking out interior bits rather than lying on my back inhaling more crap.
    I`ve done some bits here and there, mainly sourcing, buying and collecting bits I need, and at the minute cash flow is slowing me down as i`d really like to get the welding sorted.
    Some of the bits removed from the engine and put in the aptly named "****e Bin"

Rear Arches stripped and sealed, and reserve petrol tank removed, again to allow better access to strip and seal

Interior removed and tidied

that was it up until i got the death cough and was bed bound. So I bought these :

Replacement Boot badges (the blue and gold one will be repainted all raider blue)

Replacement OEM front and rear bumpers (thanks to maxwell who also supplied a host of OEM goodies and spares)

OEM replacement lower boot trim as mine was strangely kinked in places?

Stainless Steel Battery tray (also aquired rear discs and bearings from the same seller)

Also managed to pick up a brand new, unused OEM phase 2 front bumper at a price I couldnt refuse so its currently in the post

and today, feeling not hung over and with most of the death cough gone i set about attacking the bootfloor :

and took a picture of the bad sill, can anyone say rust holes?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My 5 Raider Resto Project

Good work fella!