Post Thanks / Like

Renault 5 popping and banging

My r5 which has been running really sweet on standard boost, and standard fueling however it has all of a sudden developed a pretty constant popping when coasting or the revs drop. Another problem that has started at pretty much the same time is that the idle has dropped by slightly and the idle is now very lumpy. Im guessing that this is all going to be down to fueling, and once i get home ill give the idle jet a clean out , however is there anything else i should be checking.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Renault 5 popping and banging

possibly loose manifold ,inlet gasket or carb.(something drawing air under carb)

Post Thanks / Like

need to check the co level, mixture screws probably worked it way loose a little.

Post Thanks / Like

mine pops on down revs in gear (like you would get from any car like gurgerling)
    tho mine does eat petrol like theres no tomorrow, im going to part own my local petrol station soon

Post Thanks / Like

All of mine have done that, lol the vee even does it.

Lean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    My r5 which has been running really sweet on standard boost, and standard fueling however it has all of a sudden developed a pretty constant popping when coasting or the revs drop. Another problem that has started at pretty much the same time is that the idle has dropped by slightly and the idle is now very lumpy. Im guessing that this is all going to be down to fueling, and once i get home ill give the idle jet a clean out , however is there anything else i should be checking.

my manifold gasket is slightly leaking, and does all of the above, lumpy on idle, and slight pops

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gttjames View Post
    my manifold gasket is slightly leaking, and does all of the above, lumpy on idle, and slight pops
    same as.... got the gasket just need2 change it!!! just bein lazy! will probably have a go the wknd as the poppins gettin on my tits.

did ask my local garage how much it would cost 2 change, said the book times 7hrs 2 change on a 5 turbo but said it would probably take him 5. he wanted £150 notes. rather do it myself than pay that.

Post Thanks / Like

all the popping is a slightly weak setting on the idle screew . eather one or two thigs have happened
    this is the most likley fault
    1: the idle jet has picked up a bit of fluf and is restrickting the fueling for idle
    or
    2: the co srcew is loos in it's mount and has wound/vibtated itself in a bit

anyways i set my camparse up to pop and bang like a beeatch at one of the world series @ donnington.
    sorry cant find the vid

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

anyways i set my camparse up to pop and bang like a beeatch at one of the world series @ donnington.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old skool turbo power View Post

looks like im gonna spend all night looking for the vid

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is doing the same as yours djinuk when i went to Haz's on saturday scoff was there an he said it most likely to be the carb so i have a new one coming tomorrow so should be on by the weekend fingers crossed an if it sorts it out i will give you a shout

Post Thanks / Like

aight then, well im going to give my carb a blast through to clear it out and go from there. First things first though, i still gota sort this oil leak

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I rebuilt my carb recently and the car is poping and farting all over the shop !

The only gaskets i didn't replace are the carb base one's withe the plastic in between, could a leak path there cause the popping ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    I rebuilt my carb recently and the car is poping and farting all over the shop !

The only gaskets i didn't replace are the carb base one's withe the plastic in between, could a leak path there cause the popping ??
    PM me your address mate I have a spare 2 if you want them.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Misky View Post
    PM me your address mate I have a spare 2 if you want them.
    Cheers mate but i already have the gaskets, i just didn't replace them as the ones that where on already where tanged, and these ones are just like compressed paper !
    How you going on with your motor matey ?

Post Thanks / Like

check your co b4 you dig too deep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blick View Post
    same as.... got the gasket just need2 change it!!! just bein lazy! will probably have a go the wknd as the poppins gettin on my tits.

did ask my local garage how much it would cost 2 change, said the book times 7hrs 2 change on a 5 turbo but said it would probably take him 5. he wanted £150 notes. rather do it myself than pay that.
    same here, got the gasket jsut being lazy. Will sort it out soon though!

Think i looked on autodata and book time was about 5hours i think, cant remember

Post Thanks / Like

just out of intrest which garages did you ask like ???imo id get stuck in the old mannual not tooooo keen of leaving the car at the garages anyway,you never know what there like could take it for a "quick" blast!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

just out of intrest which garages did you ask like ???imo id get stuck in the old mannual not tooooo keen of leaving the car at the garages anyway,you never know what there like could take it for a "quick" blast!!!!
    i know the guys! ex renault mechanics in stourport.... just thought if it was cheap enough i`d get them to take it off and save me the hassel. obviously not!!!

just been givin the car a once over round by the carb, check everythin was tight etc... 1 of the nuts didnt seem to be to tight, lost my rag and now its cross threaded 2 f*** and in my neighbours back garden.

im never touchin the car after a long day at work ever again........ f****** renaults!!! grrrrrrrrrr......

Post Thanks / Like

i know the guys! ex renault mechanics in stourport.... just thought if it was cheap enough i`d get them to take it off and save me the hassel. obviously not!!!

just been givin the car a once over round by the carb, check everythin was tight etc... 1 of the nuts didnt seem to be to tight, lost my rag and now its cross threaded 2 f*** and in my neighbours back garden.

im never touchin the car after a long day at work ever again........ f****** renaults!!! grrrrrrrrrr......

ha ha thats why you love them mate

Post Thanks / Like

think ive sorted mine.. one of the main screws holing the carb top down was loose

Post Thanks / Like

ha ha thats why you love them mate
    yeah when i calm down mate.....

Post Thanks / Like

Did mine today, what a difference that makes... Used to be lumpy on idle, seems so smooth now. (Think i kind of miss the od pop from when i used to let off the throttle).

Was worried about doing this so didnt want to run out of time, went about it quickly, and what do you know, had both the manifolds off and on the bench cleaning them up in a 1h30mins. Was surprised as had been really put off this job.

Changed 3 studs aswell, 1 came out with a bolt, one was very long, and one wasnt a stud, a bolt someone had put in

Re tightened all head bolts, and used those nuts from cgb. Will i have to re-tighten them at any point?

Also didnt do as the rtoc guide said, did it all from up the top. (apart from puting the 2 nuts on the underside of the inlet manifold, did these from underneath).

Cleaned all the carb up while it was off to, now is clean

Also got a little trick for anyone with problem of exhuast scraping on bumps, i hung the downpipe onto the 2 studs from the turbo elbow, then with a jack underneath jacked up the downpipe very slightly so it was abit higher, and did up in place, this way its held abit higher, tested it over a bump i normally scrape on and all is good

Post Thanks / Like

Now then, who fancy's setting my carb up for more boost?