Post Thanks / Like

better cooling track use?

right today on track my temps got rather high rather quickly, the car has a brand new oe rad with a low temp switch and stat, the only thing i have that could cause it is an intercooler that sits infront of the rad. its suposed to be an open fin design so that the rad still gets good flow and on the road i never have a problem, but on the track your obviously flat out. as i see it ive got to options, remove the intercooler and fit another one that goes behind the bumper or move the rad to the boot floor? or both? what do you lot think? what ever i do the rad will be ducted in properly to stop air going around it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: better cooling track use?

Quote Originally Posted by Adey aka Ewok View Post
    right today on track my temps got rather high rather quickly, the car has a brand new oe rad with a low temp switch and stat, the only thing i have that could cause it is an intercooler that sits infront of the rad. its suposed to be an open fin design so that the rad still gets good flow and on the road i never have a problem, but on the track your obviously flat out. as i see it ive got to options, remove the intercooler and fit another one that goes behind the bumper or move the rad to the boot floor? or both? what do you lot think? what ever i do the rad will be ducted in properly to stop air going around it.

it tends to be the oil that makes you temp high have ypou got a seporate oil cooler if so if its a ten core try a 13 core to allow the oil to cool faster and as for rad get a double capacity alloy one works a treat!! i carnt get my 5 over half on water temp and 75 degrees on oil!! thats cool and thats wen she getting her ass kicked

Post Thanks / Like

good shout, only thing is there isnt that much space up front in a 5, and id like to have the rad fully open to the air if possible, have many people tried rear mounting the rad? an oil cooler is next on the list. outa intrest are you running stock boost and such?

Post Thanks / Like

Reposition the intercooler and let the rad breath That few degrees increase in charge temp will not reduce the cars performance on track by any noticeable level .

Post Thanks / Like

will be a completly different intercooler if i do try and sort it, tho i think if i planning to abuse the car somemore it will have to be done

Post Thanks / Like

dont mean to take the piss, as im fully aware you know the score addy...

No air in the system is their? just a thoughtm as for other comments id tend to agree, seperate oil cooler, and expose the rad a bit more wouldnt hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

defo no air, was quite warm out, the intercooler ive got is fairly big but blocks the rad, was a thread more to see if there was any benefit in putting the rad in the rear of the car or to throw the idea about a bit, tho a slightly smaller intercooler in a different position will make a huge difference to frontal area of the rad in the path of clean air so i think ill go down that route, going to order up a 13 row cooler at the same time and possibly fit another new rad without a built in oil cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I know Haz uses a radiator in the back of his car. I know he had some initial problems but i think he has them sorted. It may be worth a pm.

Post Thanks / Like

true, forgot haz did it cheers

Post Thanks / Like

ive never had a problem with water temps, oil temps or charge temps with having a oe radiator, 18psi, and a front mount intercooler (mounted below rad).
    maybe just shift the intercooler and save the pennies rather than buying an oil cooler.
    but im no expert

Post Thanks / Like

will swap to a fmic that goes below the crosmember before i try anything else

Post Thanks / Like

I had problems too with the stock tempt gauge reading high!

But on my after market ones the water temp was fine but it was the oil that was getting hot! water never saw over 90 but the oil was getting to 120+ with track abuse and long motorway thrashing and the stock gauge would start to peak at just over the 11 O'clock point on the gauge!

Post Thanks / Like

have you still got the OE scoops on the rad, that funnel the air into the rad?

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed this on day to day driving since i have put my grill mount it. The engine bay used to get warmer on spirited drives, as you would expect, but would dispearse very quick when i had the CC. Now the engine gets to 80 and stays there no matter how well i am moving, its like the air cant escape anymore.

I would move to a bumper mount and things should calm down again!

Post Thanks / Like

good shout, only thing is there isnt that much space up front in a 5, and id like to have the rad fully open to the air if possible, have many people tried rear mounting the rad? an oil cooler is next on the list. outa intrest are you running stock boost and such?

no ime not running stock boost ime runngin around 20psi at the mo but am putting it up bout 24psi shortly is it that you have a standard rad in at the moment as the oil and water are in the same unit as a radiator and as for this the oil boils the water get seporates!!

Post Thanks / Like

WOT ???

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by renault5gtboi View Post
    no ime not running stock boost ime runngin around 20psi at the mo but am putting it up bout 24psi shortly is it that you have a standard rad in at the moment as the oil and water are in the same unit as a radiator and as for this the oil boils the water get seporates!!

You need some of these.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

what's rather high? Did you block up the hole where the old intercooler was as well as all the other holes?

Post Thanks / Like

about 1-2mm before the 3rd mark, nope not blocked the old intercooler hole up

Post Thanks / Like

what's that in a recognisable unit of measurement? and, errm, FAIL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    what's that in a recognisable unit of measurement? and, errm, FAIL
    A bit less than 90 degrees C

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    A bit less than 90 degrees C
    not even hot enough to make a decent of of tea then

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    not even hot enough to make a decent of of tea then
    Exactly

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming the needle position is relatively true, there's nothing wrong with that operating temperature. You should know that already squire.

Having an intercooler (or anything else) blocking the top half of the rad' isn't gonna be helping matters mind you, neither is running the rad' setup without the plastic deflectors, or a gaping hole where the o.e intercooler once sat.

Post Thanks / Like

i will knock up some cowlings for it at work then, outa all the 5s ive had this is actually the first c1j powerd one ive ever used on track

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about the diesal R5 rad, it doesn't have the built in oil cooler and its about an 1 wider than the gtt item, dead cheap to if ya go to GSF

Post Thanks / Like

right will try with cowlings on first, plus ill get a oil and water temp guage riged up. if that still shows hot ill switch to a proper fmic. but if my guage is about right them im just been a pansy and theres nothing wrong atall lol

Post Thanks / Like

Alternatively, switch to an o.e intercooler/o.e position intercooler and let the rad' get a nice full flow of air to it.

No remote oil coolers and/or larger rad's required, me ol' fruitcake.

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

i have the same problem and was just about to make a thread.. just did a trip to portsmuff and it was hot hot hot most off the way when on boost but cooled ok off boost.. my little t2 @16psi must be toasting the intercooler and doing the rad no justice..

the only thing that saved me when stuck in traffic and all the way home was having the heater on

i know why mines being poor but didnt realise how knackered it would be..
    rad ducting needs made up, oil coolers inline with the ally rad&intercooler and i need to duct up the bumper... a larger turbo doing less work will also help me..

air flow is key so i need to sort it

Post Thanks / Like

just an update for people who use the search function, i made up a plate to block the place where the stock intercooler was and ive tried hard to get the car hot, but can not. will need a proper track workout to see whats going on but all is looking good at the moment

Post Thanks / Like

What abut the deflectors along the bottom and sides of the rad, Adey ? Have you got those ?

Post Thanks / Like

since ive fitted my grill mount intercooler my temps seem2 be lower......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris M View Post
    What abut the deflectors along the bottom and sides of the rad, Adey ? Have you got those ?
    not yet buddy, when I get another spare 5 min at work I'll knock them up too

Post Thanks / Like

As stated - cowling will make a massive difference you could also look at sealing the gap between I/C and rad to furhter force the air through. If you clever with the cowling you can also force a larger area of air through. Was what I was goin to do next on my 5 (vag) but never got round to it and never overheated.

DG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post

Alternatively, switch to an o.e intercooler/o.e position intercooler and let the rad' get a nice full flow of air to it.

No remote oil coolers and/or larger rad's required, me ol' fruitcake.

bread bin springs to mind.