Post Thanks / Like

am i wrong?

hello chaps
    ive got a bit of a problem...in my head.lol
    to start i put the car up for sale..nothin but idiots contactin me about it but a guy came to see it last night...liked the look of the car...checked over it fairly well.
    shook my hand and said hed be back tomoro to pay for it.
    great
    came today with his dad who was about 60...dad carryin an old box that had ''block tester'' on it.was raffling on about the over heating blah blah.he left with no car and a mouthful of pi55 telling me my cars burning up oil and its over heating and the temp gauge is sitting too high...... look at all the smoke and r5s dont smoke on idle.

is this old fart wrong or am i just blind to a problem?
    there is no blue smoke it is a very faint noticeable steady flow of exhaust smoke from the back which looks no different from any other car exhaust ive seen in my puff.what is this old block tester contraption he has

question i have is
    do r5's pass non visible exhaust gases out the rear end or does anyone else have this smoking problem coming from there exhaust as its bugging the life out of me
    and between the 1st and 2nd line a normal temp gauge reading??with the fan kicking on just under the 2nd line?

thanks chaps
    p.s yeah its probably a dumb question but as im not any sort of mechanical figure i really do doubt myself lol

Post Thanks / Like

Re: am i wrong?

Sounds like a normal 5 to me...

Post Thanks / Like

same mate...im just totally stuck for words to be honest how i managed to lose a pretty important sale of my car(leaving the country btw) because of some old guy whos mate had one years ago lol
    hilarious.

Post Thanks / Like

tell him to stick it were the sun dont shine, some one else will be along mate.

tbh some times the oil beather chucks oil splats in to the compresser side, which is were most people think there turbo has gone. take the inlet pipe of the i/c see if its oily

if it is then its most likly the oild breather pipe,

mine dosnt smoke but every now and again itll smoke very lightly, thus i pursume is the oil breather coughing up a little oil residue.

so long as its not smoking on idle and may happen now and again then i wouldnt worry

Post Thanks / Like

your temp is fine, ur fan kicks in when it should. The light smoke is normal, but could be your valve stem seals, but think that would just be on start up!? I wouldnt worry to much mate, im sure someone else will come along soon!

Post Thanks / Like

honestly its the type of smoke youd see and go sh1t everyone elses car must be fcuked aswell then lol
    was amazing to hear what he was saying earlier.

still kinda gutted though
    any ideas what this block tester thing he had was?
    was an old looking box lol

Post Thanks / Like

Dont sweat it mate! there just chancers hoping to scare you into lowering the price! stick at it! yours is mint condition!

Post Thanks / Like

What anoys me to be honest is when you get folks tell you your car isnt running correctly because it hunts slightly, or beacuse its ticking over high and not at 600/700rpm, typical folks who havnt owned a old car and expect a 21 year old car to be as smooth to run/drive as there mondeo tdi. I wouldnt worry about it , plenty of folks out there will come to view/buy im sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it smoke or is it condensation?

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Block tester is a glass tube with a seal top and bottom, you pour a blue liquid that is sensative to exhaust fumes into the tube and place on the header tank (with the cap removed) you then bubble any gasses in the header tank thorough the blue liquid, if the blue stuff turns yellow it will indicate a head gasket leak...thats all really.....
    The Kid probably told his old fella he was after a R5, his old man heard about the poss. head gasket problems that the R5 suffered with and was being cautious.........

Post Thanks / Like

cheers lads for the help and info
    guy as you say was a chancer...

headgasket is new so would be a miracle if its gone lol
    cheers anyway chaps mind is now at rest.
    til tomorow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgdogz View Post
    headgasket is new so would be a miracle if its gone lol
    Oh one of my favourites! A classic case of; "It's new, so it can't possibly break"

Post Thanks / Like

well its done all of 90 slowwwwwwwwwwwww miles after being fitted but who knows if it is itl get fixed again
    haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgdogz View Post
    honestly its the type of smoke youd see and go sh1t everyone elses car must be fcuked aswell then lol
    was amazing to hear what he was saying earlier.

still kinda gutted though
    any ideas what this block tester thing he had was?
    was an old looking box lol
    probably just makes it look worse comin out of a big bore s/s with a big tail pipe compared to a tiny standard car zorst..... mine have been the same.