Post Thanks / Like

My 5 is being repaired. Quick advice on sills?

Some of you may remember my 5 got backed into a couple weeks ago. Well good news they valued the car at quiete alot so are doing the work. As it goes i took it there for the assesor to look at, and he wasnt to clued up on them, i told him they where pretty rare and as i said that a few lads from the bodyshop walked over saying 'gt turbo, not seen one in years' 'i used to have one when i was young, wish i still did' etc etc, so that must have helped haha

Theyv got it all stripped down, (there fitting a new n/s rear quarter panel and door) and they rang me to say that behind the skirt the sill is quiete bad, and they want me to come and look at it 1st thing tuesday morning. Im thinking while its there if its that bad get them to fit a new sill, and just pay the extra.

Just wondering what sort of price i should be expecting to pay as i have no idea how much sills cost, and to be done, are they availlable from renault? (take into account that they allready have to strip it down, mix paint etc so it shouldnt be to much extra work?)

Just hoping its not really bad and spread to floor pan etc...

heres what they are repairing, they valued the damage at 1700 for new rear quarter, new door, and all painted (with all new door pins, arch cover etc)

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My 5 is being repaired. Quick advice on sills?

Sills from Renault are stupid price...

Best place is Beevers Auto panel http://bap.dominohosting.biz/members/bap/bapdb01.nsf/$$ViewTemplate%20for%20MakeModel!OpenForm&Restrict ToCategory=RENAULT%20R5%20(2/85-1/93)

I even linked you straight to the page you want, BOB @CGB sell them to...

Ofcourse the garage may just plate it themselves if its easier...

Dont think it will cost the earth to replace a sill & tbh it will be worth it as the car will look mint & be clean when its all done.

Post Thanks / Like

At a guess 200 plus the part.

Post Thanks / Like

im suprised the insurance company didnt write that off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHIE View Post
    im suprised the insurance company didnt write that off
    me too... parkers value thm at stupid money like 200 quid! id say re shell it personal

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a sill for as little as £20, i fit them for a living and i charge £70 a side...

Normally job all in £100

If there painting it and doing a top job then £200 all in tops....

Post Thanks / Like

you can get away without any paint.. just cut the sill down at the far side pmt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    Sills from Renault are stupid price...

Best place is Beevers Auto panel http://bap.dominohosting.biz/members/bap/bapdb01.nsf/$$ViewTemplate%20for%20MakeModel!OpenForm&Restrict ToCategory=RENAULT%20R5%20(2/85-1/93)

I even linked you straight to the page you want, BOB @CGB sell them to...

Ofcourse the garage may just plate it themselves if its easier...

Dont think it will cost the earth to replace a sill & tbh it will be worth it as the car will look mint & be clean when its all done.
    nice one penfold, il take that link with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minty83 View Post
    me too... parkers value thm at stupid money like 200 quid! id say re shell it personal
    Im surprised to, parkers value is bollocks. I took along printouts from piston heads to back up what there worth.

Re shelling it would just get another gtt of the road.

To be fair i was expecting them to pay me out for it, hopefully would of claimed a nice amount and got my mate to repair it at his work, and with the money got a few other bits done on it, going to have 1 side mint now lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

sorry to hijack, and good to see they are fixing the 5! as you say, if they had decided it wasnt worth it it would only be another off the road

with reference to sills, on mine i plan on replacing the entire sills, even though they could be patched. But i was wondering.

the OEM sills have the wee "nipples" to allow the skirts to click on and be held in place, on the replacements do they still have these mounts? and also, when original metal holders that remained on the skirts that are usually rotten to dust, where would you get these?

good luck with your 5, cant beat a car with fresh paint

Post Thanks / Like

exzactly mate.

Cant answer your questions though, will have to leave that to someone else.

Im going there 1st thing tomorrow, hopefully its not that bad, but am thinking to do the whole sill

Post Thanks / Like

the side skirt clips can be bought from cgb.
    when you fit the new sills they do not come with the little lugs for the side skirt clips either. if you say your sills only need patches then why not just cut out the rot and weld in new patch. much cheaper and alot less agro than fitting new sills unless your inners have gone too.
    when i have fitted new sills i cut the old ones just below where the lugs are and weld the new ones up to the cut, it makes life easyer when fitting the skirts and the sills are not often rotton that high up.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

i see what you mean. All my sill clips on the skirt are intact, its mainly the nipples and the metal brackets that slide on to the sill which allow the skirt to click in im also concerned about replacing

i dont know a lot about welding but i thought surely it would be handier for the welder to cut out an entire sill and weld in 1 complete unit?

i`m going to be repainting the entire car and i`d rather do it once do it right mainly, instead of possibly patching it and worrying that it might return in an area that wasnt repaired?

surely a lot of people have replaced their sills? i`d reckon bonder could be used, but i`d personally prefer not to bond them on.

Post Thanks / Like

im just cheap then as i just scrape / sand off all rust down to the shiny stuff around the rust holes, cover it in karust then fiberglass over the hole sand it down and repaint ,lol, not a proper job i suppose but gives me a few more years befor i need to think about cutting and welding plus just dont have the time these days ,,,, and the mot man cant see any nasty holes,

Post Thanks / Like

There was a few patches on the bottom, only came up a inch, decided to cut it out as there wasnt that much. There going to get back to me a price, but surely cuting out a 30/40cm by 4cm tall bit of sill and welding in a fresh bit of metal should cost to much?

They had to remove the rear bumper to fit the new quarter, apparently the bumper mounts either side fell away, least ill get some fresh metal there now though

One side will be mint, the other not so, haha, after iv driven it for abit am going to have to get the other side done, get here looking sweat (oh and the rust arround the windscreen)

Post Thanks / Like

update***

Picked it up, window not working (fixed it today myself), they jacked it up right on the front wing at the bottom and creased it, scractched the inside of the window glass, door only shuts with a slam, scratches on the arches where looks like it hasnt been polished properly, messy bonder around the spoiler, bonder down the tailgate, paint work around the edges of windows etc looks rough edges, and if im being really fussy door isnt completley flush, and to top it all off polish all over the car and masking tape... going back tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Defintly mate, take it back asap and demand an answer !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gttjames View Post
    update***

Picked it up, window not working (fixed it today myself), they jacked it up right on the front wing at the bottom and creased it, scractched the inside of the window glass, door only shuts with a slam, scratches on the arches where looks like it hasnt been polished properly, messy bonder around the spoiler, bonder down the tailgate, paint work around the edges of windows etc looks rough edges, and if im being really fussy door isnt completley flush, and to top it all off polish all over the car and masking tape... going back tomorrow
    Thats a full on piss take mate, every place I have ever worked at would give the car a valet after any paint work. I should start painting cars again seems like theres to many cowboys in town these days If theres paint on the windows that means they did not strip the car properly which is ****, these scratches you talk of are you sure its not the paint sinking? Check the rear quarter has been replaced and not repaired. How do you mean door not flush, not straight? Chances are they may have repaired the door also. What a bunch of
    Last edited by rs250nut; 29-04-2009 at 18:43.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint left on the windows is pisspoor tbh, but if they replaced the rear quarter, doors why would the windows be in there before painting, surely you'd have to cover the edges?
    Last edited by wrightygtt; 29-04-2009 at 22:06.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrightygtt View Post
    Paint left on the windows is pisspoor tbh, but if they replaced the rear quarter, doors why would the windows be in there before painting, surely you'd have to cover the edges?
    I should have wrote above, to replace the rear quarter you would have to remove the rear window Probabley tapped it up and slopped it up

Post Thanks / Like

check the panels that have been replaced/repaired with a magnet if its a new panel the magnet should stick if its repaired it will just fall off, but i would kick off over it if it was my pride an joy

Post Thanks / Like

make sure they have been replaced man, the diffrence in cost over slapping a wedge of filler and getting the rough shape and then blowing some paint over shudnt be anywhere nearr 1.7k, where as to replace the rear quarter and do the job all propelly its a fair price.

Post Thanks / Like

They have deffiantley been replaced, went in and checked on it, i saw the brand new door skin and quarter before it was painted, looked sexy!

No paint on glass??? I mean around the edge of the window seal the paint looks 'rough', as though its just overspray as its obviously at a little angle must not have got it properly.

I am really f~~kd off, and i know when i go back to get it therl be bits i can moan about. And the worst of it, its a big place! with a big name. Have used other '1man owned, but with 4/5 workers' before and had good results. Go to this big place and i was expecting it to come back mint, boy was i dissapointed.

And scratches in paint... On the rear plastic arch if you look carefully its all nice and flat, looks mint, but then theres a couple of small patches that have loads of swirly 'scratches' in the paint, someone said it looks like after where they flat it back on the car theyv done it a bit quick and missed a few bits

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

nightmare mate, hopefully they will sort it, if not and it is the insurance companies choice of bodyshop then i think you can request the work to be redone at another company if the current ones wont fix it.

my insurance company triple checked i didnt want their approved centre and chose my own painter, and pointed out that unless i used their approved repairer that i basically had no comeback..... and knowing the quality of their approved centre, id have been better letting my wee brother paint it with his crayolas.

they should sort it tho, its just hastle, but when its 100% it`ll be awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Got it back, they repaired and repainted the damaged front wing, also got out what looked like overspray around the window seal 'heavy paint look', and got out scratches on roof. And got the bonder off the tailgate.

Not to fussed about scratch on glass as its on the tint, so il just re tint it.

Can still see lines in the spoiler, oh well got a gaurntee on it so if it really annoys me it will go back for a respray.

And the other thing, door has loads of play in it and needs a slam to shut it. - they havnt sorted that, i think it was either take the car or loose my rag,

il get some pics up later, gota love fresh paint

Post Thanks / Like

This is the extra damage they did and tried giving ti back to me

this is how it looks now