Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Extra turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Done some testing today at York raceway.

Seem to be heading in the right direction, have gained 4mph on my trap speed 104mph now, times were poor as expected with road tyres. My run was b170 on the lh side.

Highlighted a couple of problems though.

Carb needs more fine tuning as it was too rich causing it to bog down/hesitiate on launch & some gearchanges. I think its needle jet not sealing, the afr's are very rich on part throttle though so it could be a combination of both.

I probably could get away with it as is using slicks/full throttle launch, but with feathering the throttle on road tyres it didnt work.

I have damaged the gearbox, possibly the syncro on 2nd. It was ok for the first few passes then it wouldnt go into 2nd. It will ram into gear at low rpms on the road but game over for the strip so will have to change the box.

Oh i didnt know york wa son today.

Great Project young man

Well done.

We all kwow how good these Jc box;s are i did 3rd Syncro down at Pod

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see more power from your motor.. i was going to pop over to york but passed.. ....

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Did you stop over or come back again today ? yesterday was a bit of a crap do!

Post Thanks / Like

Its been a bit of a washout really for last 2 days, the track has been fairly slippy all weekend!

Went back down again this afternoon Scoff, was a bit of a last min decision when sun came out. A few of my mates stayed over & said it was baltic temps lastnight

Ran with a load of tools in the back today & other stuff so not exactly lightweight by any means.

Might put the van on a diet for pod day. Been thinking about this for a while as the standard weight according to the board in my local mot station is a ton or slightly under.

I still have spare wheel, jack, carpets, sound deadening, stereo gear even tools/spares in cubby holes behind front seats. I could even bin the tow bar i know that will weigh a fair few kg's.

I also fancy upping the boost to 25psi @ manifold, will i may be flogging the turbo too much though? i guess it will be near the 40 psi mark at the turbo.

Post Thanks / Like

Offered the racemasters up against the van & they should fit without too much hassle. The overall diameter looks about the same as the 15" willy wheels. If i have the ££ spare ill get my rims away to be banded this week.

Post Thanks / Like

They look at home ... yes side by side they are very close to a 15, dont forget they balloon out once spinning so make sure you ride height will clear that.. If your unsure and want a good test, get it on a dyno see how close they go...

Post Thanks / Like

Me mate has a video off Monday whose is the White 5 ur racing?

Post Thanks / Like

Tell him to get it uploaded mate The white gtt is Glenn's (hi five)

Post Thanks / Like

Tell him to get it uploaded mate The white gtt is Glenn's (hi five)
    How did he get on brigsy.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he had a few teething problems as to be expected on first run out, the whole setup looks excellent though

Heres a pic of glen blowing my doors off when i had big misfire on launch.

Post Thanks / Like

A thort something must of happend wen I watchd the video of this race, il see if he can get it up on YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Only got one clean run out of ten really mate, the carb needs a bit of fine tuning. It seemed to be moving in higher gears though, with decent traction i should see some half reasonable times this year

Have got a box sorted now too, will get it fitted this week.

Also need to reseal sump again as its leaking worse than before, timing chain cover is fine though which is typical. I might use stikaflex this time as i know it goes off hard, im really starting to lose my temper with it

Got my gtt steels away for banding out, looking forward to trial fitting the m&h.

Post Thanks / Like

Only got one clean run out of ten really mate, the carb needs a bit of fine tuning. It seemed to be moving in higher gears though, with decent traction i should see some half reasonable times this year

Have got a box sorted now too, will get it fitted this week.

Also need to reseal sump again as its leaking worse than before, timing chain cover is fine though which is typical. I might use stikaflex this time as i know it goes off hard, im really starting to lose my temper with it

Got my gtt steels away for banding out, looking forward to trial fitting the m&h.
    that's the game mate, how wide they guna be? Think my sump needs sealing like it's pissin oil on me drive, is it easy to seal up?

Wen ya get it all sorted it should do well on the strip!

Post Thanks / Like

Good effort brigs

Post Thanks / Like

5 weeks until pod day & this is how it stands at the moment after 2 hrs work tonight

List of jobs to do-

Reseal sump once again, got a tube of stikaflex for the job.

Fit new gearbox, fingers crossed its ok as its an ebay special.

Tune carb & possibly turn boost up, to boost or not to boost is the question at the moment...

Fit my other armtech rev limiter with full throttle gear change, may attempt to use it as a two step/full throttle launch on strip

Lose a few kgs of weight, the towbar has to go!

Before pulling engine out i comp tested it to see how it was fairing up after 80 odd thousand miles & plenty of abuse, hot engine all cylinders were between 145-150 psi, not bad for a 25 year old engine...

Last edited by Brigsy; 16-04-2010 at 00:20.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the new box in today, a bit dissappointed with it really. I almost foreseen this as i noticed somebody has been in the box before, some sealant is around the joints & chemical metal bodged onto the bottom of the diff housing/lashings of silver paint.

Shifts great for the first couple of miles then gets difficult to get into gear, after 20 mile it crunches on the downshift into 3rd first is also temperemental, sometimes great sometimes poor. Its driveable & sounds 100% better than the last box but still not right, i think the quickshift makes it worse than it actually is.

I have filled it up with elf trx80 gearbox oil, got it cheap. Not sure whether to drop it out & try some 75/90 in it see if it sorts it out?

As last resort i have a good condition 11t gearbox here, with shorter ratios than the gtt box is it a total waste of time for the dragstrip?

On plus side i absolutely blew the doors off a new 10 reg focus rs in it earlier, the look on the drivers face was priceless

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck man, working from the heart

Post Thanks / Like

Not good about the box mate, think id be swaping it again or rebuilding it to be safe, the 11t box mite work better with the 22" drags

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a shame Brigsy. I think you might want to start playing with the ratios for a bit of 'long pulls' in third etc. Not that im an expert or owt!. maybe a 172 box would be better suited to the heavier van and higher reving cam?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jon,

With the 11T box, plus the one that's in situ now and the other bits you've got, have you not got a set you can mix and match?

As for the one you have in at the moment, given that it's ok until it warms through properly, you're right, it might be down to the fluid.

GL buddy.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this a lot. Would run the banded steels on this all the time for x 3 cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

Im going to pull the box, it feels knackered to be fair cant get 1st most of the time fitting the 11t box for pod. Over winter im going to attempt to build a good box out of the pair

Im having other issues at the moment, it never rains it ****ing pours!

Now the weather is slightly warmer the van is running much hotter, the coolant temp is flying up on boost. When cruising at low speeds the temp goes high, the rad fan was keeping it under control in a fashion but that appears to have failed tonight

I comp tested the motor a couple of weeks back & had between 140-150psi on each cylinder when hot, the cooling system isnt pressured up but im not entirely convinced the headgasket is 100% so time for a sniff test/another comp test.

All i can think is that i possibly damaged the h/g when it nearly overheated in traffic due to rad fan failing last year, its only done a few miles since i did have a bit of mayo in the breather pipes but it has cleared, tune is fairly safe at the moment too.

Post Thanks / Like

Some good news tonight! the headgasket is fine, the sensor for coolant temp gauge had failed. Turned the ignition on to see the gauge go up to above 2/3's on a cold engine I should have thought on when i cracked the header tank cap off the other night & there was hardly any pressure.

New sensor/rad fan relay & its back to normal running temps. Now to get this gearbox changed bring on the pod.

Post Thanks / Like

Some good news tonight! the headgasket is fine, the sensor for coolant temp gauge had failed. Turned the ignition on to see the gauge go up to above 2/3's on a cold engine I should have thought on when i cracked the header tank cap off the other night & there was hardly any pressure.

New sensor/rad fan relay & its back to normal running temps. Now to get this gearbox changed bring on the pod.

mine is doin this briggs ever since i fitted the new dials it has played up if i tap the clocks it goes back to normal but its so annoyin i have messed with everything tightened the nuts up behind the clocks and its still iffy where is the sensor mate might be worth me having a look at this cheers

Post Thanks / Like

The sensor is on the back of the water pump mate

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The sensor is on the back of the water pump mate
    good man briggs, i changed the one on the cup , remember at brands it did the same thing, ive had it running now a few times, im glad to say the temps are much lower.., keep up the good work buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Aye same problem mate ,easy fix for once!

Well the 11t box is in & ready to go, havent road tested yet but should be ok.

I dropped the subframe to change the box this time, bit of a fecker to get the box back on by myself this way, would be quick on a 4 post lift though with 2 people. In the end it took exactly the same amount of time to do it this way as removing/refitting engine, or taking box out thru the top.

Not my favourite job fingers crossed this box lasts a bit longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Small update, all back together & working well (touch wood).

New gearbox is a little noisy but works ok, the 11t box is a bit short for my liking but my only choice for now.

Carb is sorted for 20lbs at the manifold, i wanted to go for 25lb but in fear of breaking something else i will leave it be for now. Feels quick for a van anyway, lots of wheelspin in lower gears in the dry

Have binned tow bar & spare wheel/carrier, should save a few kg's there. Still waiting for my banded steels to arrive, i can see me going to pick them up at this rate!

Post Thanks / Like

About 10kg for a tow bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Decent saving then Tim, yours back together yet?

Got my rims back yesterday, gtt spares banded to 7.5". Cant wait to try these out at the pod Test fit later, hope they will fit without too much hassle.

Welding is superb on the rims, tig welded on a positional welder, rims are straight as a die. In the hurry to got my tyres fitted i forgot to take pics of the inside of the rims.

Cup steel in comparison

Post Thanks / Like

Decent saving then Tim, yours back together yet?

Got my rims back yesterday, gtt spares banded to 7.5". Cant wait to try these out at the pod Test fit later, hope they will fit without too much hassle.

Welding is superb on the rims, tig welded on a positional welder, rims are straight as a die. In the hurry to got my tyres fitted i forgot to take pics of the inside of the rims.

Cup steel in comparison

Horny as......................

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mate, just like my wheels and tyres.

I still got to see if my 9" wide ones will fit under the campus wheel arch's as i'm tempted to use them on friday, if they don't means i'll be stuck with the 20" wheels for the day.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice set of wheels for the pod that

Where did you get the tyres from .... a uk company ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    Nice set of wheels for the pod that

Where did you get the tyres from .... a uk company ???
    Me...

There from M H race masters California... he got a bargin .... You cant buy MH drags in uk so cost a few quid for shipping and import, you can get MT`s tho, LA racing sell them in UK...

Post Thanks / Like

You need a set of 4, Jon. Get some tyres stretched over them and they'll look badarse

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm slicks

Post Thanks / Like

Test fitted them this afternoon, with a bit of work they fit They actually fit better than i expected, dont hang out the arches too much & i can still get full lock even with bumper on.

First try with the konis, about 5mm gap between tyre & arch.

Dug out my old avo coilovers & raised it up an inch (does anybody fit coilovers to raise a car)

Im hoping an inch will be enough, it passed the catch test on the rough alley outside my unit OK. The springs are 250lb on the coilovers so its pretty firm.

I was tempted to test them out in the alley, dont think the neighbours would like it though

Post Thanks / Like

Looks the nuts.... awsome...... looking forward to friday...

Post Thanks / Like

Express delivery anyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Too right

What psi did you run the tyres at Rob? in the pics they have 9 psi in, dont look flat at all like my m/t's.

Post Thanks / Like

Like the look of them mate!

Will give mine ago this week, see how mine fit on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    You need a set of 4, Jon. Get some tyres stretched over them and they'll look badarse
    Exactly what I was thinking

Post Thanks / Like

Too right

What psi did you run the tyres at Rob? in the pics they have 9 psi in, dont look flat at all like my m/t's.
    start at 8psi and keep dropping half lb each run till you get a feel, but i run 5.5 - 6psi..

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Feckin hell, imagine if all delivery vans where like that

Post Thanks / Like

Looks the nuts mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Like the look of them mate!

Will give mine ago this week, see how mine fit on.
    You should be ok if its not too low mate

Post Thanks / Like

You should be ok if its not too low mate
    The campus isn't mega low but its not on height adjustable suspesion, also mine slicks are 9" wide hopefully they won't caych the arch's.

I've tried them on the gt and had to trim little off the plastic arch but no metal so should be ok.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. Who banded the steels?

Post Thanks / Like

Looking fat mate Hope you get some good passes at the pod. Cannot make it myself (on holiday) Engine still in bits but there is some forward progress. May make it fot USC.

Post Thanks / Like

Long time no update..

Done 12.8@106 best pb yet at frog of pod in may.

After rtoc frog of pod i drove the van home & just parked it in the garage as it needed a couple of small jobs doing.

I have slowly been chipping at the block & have renewed suspension top mount donuts with poly versions, have fitted another driveshaft on o/s too as that was kaputt.

Still have a few things to do though so time for a new list before USC/Nd.

1. Sort out cooling system, on way to the pod the temp was sat at 2/3 on the gauge whilst cruising at 70, can only be down to the intercooler blocking the rad.

I have bought a new mocal 13 row oilcooler & stat, Still undecided if the o.e rad will be up to the job without the oil flowing through. If not i may go for extra diesel rad.

2. Fix random mis-fire/leaning out i had last time i ran it, i have new fuel pump here as the current one is making funny noises & adjustable fpr if needed.

3. Fit Ian S charge temp gauge.

4 Buy & fit permanent wideband gauge in car, still undecided whether to buy aem or zeitronix $$$.

Mocal cooler turned up today, lets hope it fits with no major hassle.