Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Megane Coupe 225 Conversion

Gaz, not wanting to put a dampner on things but can you get a tow bar for a 225 meg?

I know on the rating plate of my 182 it says zero. As the twin exit exhausts make it impossible to fit.

If it was me now that you've got a 225 I'd spend the money tuning that instead of the coupe.

Both looking good though.

Post Thanks / Like

Paid exactly 10k for it however, its not the 225 petrol version.

Its the lesser known 175 DCI, so towing won't be a problem with 360NM torque standard. Stage 1 rempas show 200+bhp and 400+NM

Renault do a removable bar for it, according to my local dealer and owners manual.

Don't really want to playa round with the new one though as I use it for work.

I'd rather tune the 225 engine in a much lighter car.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry mate, I just saw the 18 inch meg sport alloys, brembos, recaros and just assumed it was a 225.

I didn't realise that the dci came with all the above.

But a v nice car, and as it's not the 225 disregard my previous comments and get the coupe finished

Steve

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz2405 View Post

Its the lesser known 175 DCI, so towing won't be a problem with 360NM torque standard.
    Great car, thats what i was gona buy to replace the V6 until I got a works car!!

Post Thanks / Like

Had a few parts arrive today, ecu, clocks, coil pack, dual mass fly and clutch and struts.

Going to work on it this weekend so should have some more stuff done by Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

doing well gaz ,your new motor is well nice like that colour as well, whens your target to get the car finished ??

Post Thanks / Like

Gaz, i would check the dual mass flywheel. If there is more than 5mm play in the drive, then its paggered!! They dont seem to last very long!

Post Thanks / Like

whats the reason behind using the 172 ecu and not using the omex 600 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Target to getting it finished, well there isn't really one its just asap really but fnds depending.

Matt, there's no play in it at all came from a car with under 10k on the clock, I was going to hold out and wait for someone to make a solid fluwheel, but i got impatient.

Decided to go for a 172 ecu for a few reasons, can pick them up really cheap (£30), Paul at rstuning can map them through the ODB for turbo and supercharged applications and get awesome results (he's only 10 miles away too!). Unlocking them is under £100, plus I can get the car running NA as it were with the boost pipes disconnected on the standard 172 map well (roughly running anyway)

I just want to get it sorted as soon as possible now and in the future I may well go stand alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Target to getting it finished, well there isn't really one its just asap really but fnds depending.

Matt, there's no play in it at all came from a car with under 10k on the clock, I was going to hold out and wait for someone to make a solid fluwheel, but i got impatient.

Decided to go for a 172 ecu for a few reasons, can pick them up really cheap (£30), Paul at rstuning can map them through the ODB for turbo and supercharged applications and get awesome results (he's only 10 miles away too!). Unlocking them is under £100, plus I can get the car running NA as it were with the boost pipes disconnected on the standard 172 map well (roughly running anyway)

I just want to get it sorted as soon as possible now and in the future I may well go stand alone.
    I assume you're using a PH1 ECU and cable throttle?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah phase 1 and cable throttle, may have to drill and tap the plenum for icv, but I'll cross that bridge when i get to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Right been working on it this weekend, no pictures as i didn't get off to a good start, so i didn't trust myself holding the camera for fear of throwing it through the windscreen.

First job was to take of f7r flywheel and put on the dual mass one, this is where my problems started! The dual mass fly has slightly smaller heads on the bolts, but it didn't get supplied with them!! arrgghhhhh! So that job was out of the window.

Second job, sorting an icv out, made a bracket to mount it, and plumbed it all in, easiest job of the lot just drilled and tap'd the plenum.

Then onto the easy task of fitting the decat, offered it up, thought this doesn't look right. Out came the grinder, to take off a slightly large lug on the manifold that was fouling the decat, once that was off fitted like a glove!

Whipped of the old struts (going off to get reconn'd with diff springs) and whacked the ones from brucie on with some new gmax 40mm springs.

Got some help from the misses, so got her to prep and spray the gearbox and some other engine bits in hammerite smooth silver. She loves playing with cars really!

Once everything had dried, slung the engine into the bay to check for clearance with the decat.

Low and behold, it was ****ing catching on the brake cylinder! That was awesome thought all my christmases had come at once!

So thats going to need sorting next time! Can't wait.

So started on the loom, took at quick look at it and thought, there seems to be a few sensors missing of that?! Brilliant!

So spent the rest of the afternoon today tracing back the loom from the ECU using the pin out diagram and soldering on new connectors where they were needed.

So next time, I'm going to have to whip the engine out AGAIN!!! to sort the flywheel and clutch and hopefully my decoded ecu will be back by then so fingerscrossed it could be turning over next time. Although knowing my luck it will probably be seized!

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update on parts, just bought another TD04 14T turbo for it so it can go away and get reworked with bigger wheels.

Right had a full morning on it today.

Things are starting to get tight in the engine bay now, as with the deact pipe on and the engine ounted on all three mounts, I'm about 5mm away from the brake master cylinder. So I'll be having a look at solutions for that next time. I may have to play around with the thrid mount to pull the ceact away from it, or look at using a remote brake servo and diff pedal box.

Welded up the holes in the steering rack as I'm going manual not assisted, may look into trying to use a clio manual rack.

Started tidying up the loom and getting rid of any stuff not needed.

Also made a bracket to fit the idler pulley I had bought for an MX5, the tension on the aux belt will now be adjusted by moving the alternator.

Tomorrow I'm going to swing the engine back in check al the clearances are ok, then i need to order a few things from renault, new turbo oil drain pipe, some clutch parts and few nuts and bolts.

Swung the engine back in this morning, it would seem that the master cylinder was taking quite a bit of the weight of the engine. So thats come out!

Looks like I'll need to use a universal 3 in 1 floor mounted pedal box and go unservoed on the brakes and use a bias bar instead.

Once the engine was in though, I came across another problem. It is a very very tight fit for the exhaust once its mounted to the de cat pipe.

So instead of having a full exhaust made up, I've cut away the existing exhaust tunnel upto the gear lever mount.

So next time I'm over I#'ll be putting my welding skills to the test and making a new exhaust tunnel, the gear lever hole needs plating up anyway as I've decided to run the changing mech inside the car away from any heat.

Ill be making a new rear mount next time as well, that goes across the subframe similar to a lower strut brace and bolting the rear mount to that, unsure whether to use a rubber mount or go solid.

So jobs for next time are.

1. Exhaust tunnel.
    2. Rear mount
    3. Plate up servo hole
    4. Fit new pedal box
    5. Fit clutch and plumb up the hydraulics for it.

That'll do for now I think!

But overall had a fairly decent two days on it and got back into it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Whoops!

Just bought this

My bad (don't tell the misses!)

Post Thanks / Like

I see that there is a lot of work and this project is interesting to read! Good work!

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic project, cant wait to see it finished

Post Thanks / Like

Its been a while since an update.

The neighbours just brought round a parcel that was delivered this morning!!!

First up, is a brand new gear lever and change cables specifically for the Megane 225.

As the last one I got turned out to be from a laguna and it wouldn't fit.
    £120 plus vat from renault or £50 on ebay BARGAIN!!

And my pedal box finally turned up!!!

Just slung it together quickly in the front room to get some pictures.

Very impressed the quality, Wilwood cylinders are a nice touch as well.

Just need to drill and bolt the throttle pedal on.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice project mate looks good. Where did you get the pedal box from?

Post Thanks / Like

I got it from either Merlin motorsport or Rally design, ordered it ages ago can't remember receipt is at home

Post Thanks / Like

Notupdated this on here for a while..

So here goes.

Right then posties been today.

We've got 10 stainles clamps, 6(ordered 7!!) flywheel bolts, exhaust manifold gasket, bulk head sealer, sikaflex, and a sheet of teflon, also had a load of aluminium heat shield delivered too.

Plus you can see the royail mail delivery note, that i missed today!!

Should only have one thing coming special delivery so that should be my ECU from Mr Scoff!

Working on the car this weekend so should have some more progress by then, need to pick up a few things from renault today too.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

any devolpments with yours gav

Post Thanks / Like

Yes mate, had it turning over on the key this weekend just gone.

Got an ECU from adaptronic, just need to finish off the engine loom and its nearly there!

Ordered a few mote bits this week, fse adjustable fuel pressure reg and braided fuel lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update,

Just done a little more spending.

These bad boys should be winging their way towards me next week, courtesy of our friends at FK-Automotive.

New wheels arrived today.

Last time I worked on the car spent most of the time measuring the engine bay for boost pipes.

I've had a load of silicone hoses delivered aswell but can't be bothered getting them all out of the garage to take pictures.

Drivers seat, gear lever, hand brake and steering wheels are all being moved backwards 8-10 inches to accomodate the floor mounted pedal box and also to even out the weight distribution a bit better.

Post Thanks / Like

Those wheels are sick

Post Thanks / Like

Another little parts update.

Intercooler elbow pipe work, lockwire and pliers, 57mm silicone hose and exhaust wrap.

Got some more stuff due this week.
    where did you get those 90 bends and 57 silicone from and how much was it???
    car looks sweet by the way, lovin the seats and the matt paint!!

Post Thanks / Like

Got them both from autosiliconehoses.com can't remember exact price, but I've been back there since for other stuff, delivery is very quick.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Whoop whoop luckily my girlfriend was ill and off work today so could stay in nd collect my parcel for me

And here they are:

I'm just on the shop around for some tyres at the moment.

Having a little play around with the car this weekend so should have some more pictures by then!

Post Thanks / Like

Well....didn't spend too much time shopping round for tyres.

Just ordered 4 x Yokohama Parada spec 2's, it was a toss up between those and some Toyo proxes T1R.

Just on the look out for some new top mounts now, but can't seem to find anywhere that do them for the 2.0 16v!!

Post Thanks / Like

Right then its update time!

Had a fullish 1 1/2 days on it.

Managed to get done most things I wanted to do.

Got the misses on with the job of sanding down my headlights and front grills.

After she'd done that she sanded down the front inner archers treated them with rust preventer and the waxoyled them.

Whilst she was doing that I started the task of moving the hand brake back 6 inches, probably the easiest job on the car to date! Once I'd moved that back I then moved the gear lever back six inches and the seat all the way back. (all this for a bloody floor mounted pedal box!)

Once the arches had dried it was coilover time, got them on no problem the rear shocks where a bit of a ball though!, then it was new wheels time!
    Car is now sitting very low, with plenty of thread left on them.

New brake discs on, whilst the wheels were off I took all of the brakes calipers off and I've brought those home to rebuild.

Also managed to fit in a quick oil change and bleed the clutch through properly.
    Couple of pics of how I left it.

Post Thanks / Like

looking good m8 tell your misses she doing brilliant job

Post Thanks / Like

Liking the wheels mate and the motors looking mean

Post Thanks / Like

superbe style que tu lui as donner !!
    vivement la fin du projet

superb style that you have to give to him!!
    highly end of the project

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update, the car now has some doors on it again.

Got a load of wiring to be getting on with, as I'm getting rid of the standard renault loom altogether and doing my own, so I'm up to my eyes in relays and fuses at the moment!

I'll be fitting a gloss black polycarb sunroof next time i'm over there as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Been doing some wiring this weekend.

Worked out all the pin outs for the indicator and wiper stalks.

Started of working out pin outs and ins for the speedo, got most of them and then decided, I wanted to go down the LCD speedo route.

Stripped back the interior loom to the bare bones.

All the wiring is in and routed round the back of the dash for the electric windows, doors solenoids, boot solenoids, central locking, interior blower, fuel pump and starter button.

Wiring also in from the stalk control and routed down to where standard fuse box used to be.

Well here's the dash as it stands at the minute.

I was getting fed up of it moving around so I decided to screw it to the cupboard.

Starter off by sanding down some of the fibreglass and adding some additional fibreglass to the back of the gauge pods to hold them in place better.

And one off my new spanners for track days.

There's still quite a bit to do, biggest pain is that the car is 90 miles away so I can't work on little things during in the week, so when I do work on it I've got to do all niggley things to it first. As well as trying to remeber what I did last ime on it!

Got the dash sprayed tonight in a textured primer (tester) that I'm using next up will be the finsh colour which I'll try and get done this weekend.

Pics below.

Its going to need rubbing down again and another coat adding as I'm not happy with the finish, but you get the idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update, most of the dash is finshed now and all the wiring behind as well.

Should be able to get to the car next week to get some more stuff done it.

I've bought a steering column from a scenic hoping its going to be longer than the standard Megane one.

Ordered a new speedo to.

Post Thanks / Like

wow nice project

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

all this hard work and your putting green stuff pads in CRAZYYYYYYYY

Keep up the other good work tho my son

Post Thanks / Like

LMFAO @ Andy, i was thinking the same

this has had me hooked, really really good project!

keep up the good work

Post Thanks / Like

Haha I knew someone would mention the pads, I've never had any problems with them personally.

Any other pad wise recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Haha I knew someone would mention the pads, I've never had any problems with them personally.

Any other pad wise recommendations?

ferodo ds2500

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see where you've sorted out driveshaft, do you have them, where from, or do you know where you'll get them from?

I've just tried cutting my 172 ones, and they're made of tough stuff

Post Thanks / Like

I've sleeved the F7R ones and 225 ones, can't remember measurements of the top of my head there was something like 4mm diff in diameter.

So I've machined one end down to match and then sleeved over.

This is only yo get it running mind, as I plan to get one piece solid shafts made.

I'm looking to get them made at a company called pro shaft.

I've got the guys business card somewhere I'll dig it out and get his details.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r5 rich View Post
    ferodo ds2500

Plus 1 if you cook 2500;s your trying far too hard LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Speedo has just turned up at work, looks very cool.

Brief spec is.

0-225 mph speedo
    0-10,000rpm tacho
    speed warning
    Top speed record
    Shift light
    Pre-Shift Light
    Max rpm record
    water and oil temp
    over heating warning light
    Fuel level reading
    Indicators, high beam, low beam, engine management light.

Basically all the things a normal speedo does and more.

But it only weighs 240g!!

Need to start making a mounting plate for it when I get home tonight

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting project keep up the great work

Agree with the others green stuff are terrible in my experiance

DG

Post Thanks / Like

Speedo has just turned up at work, looks very cool.

Brief spec is.

0-225 mph speedo
    0-10,000rpm tacho
    speed warning
    Top speed record
    Shift light
    Pre-Shift Light
    Max rpm record
    water and oil temp
    over heating warning light
    Fuel level reading
    Indicators, high beam, low beam, engine management light.

Basically all the things a normal speedo does and more.

But it only weighs 240g!!

Need to start making a mounting plate for it when I get home tonight
    may i ask where you got it from and how much? i'm going to be converting the other halves KA to a 1800 zetec and need temp gauge, revcounter etc and that looks ideal

Post Thanks / Like

I got it from digital-speedos.co.uk, was just over £200, there's a couple of different versions you can get.

They are originally designed for ATV and motorbike use, but carbuildersolutions have started selling them as they are SVA approved, but they sell them at £280 plus vat.
    Last edited by Gaz2405; 05-05-2010 at 22:22.

Non-member Pete@Backyard Racing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

0-225 mph speedo

ever the optimist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pete@Backyard Racing View Post
    0-225 mph speedo

ever the optimist
    Haha, can't beat a bit of over engineering, just like everyone always choosing tyres with the highest speed rating. Knowing full well its going to go 190+mph