Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: new big tv

done a bit of scouting about on my lunch, and read up on the 'myths' of leaking plasma tubes etc.. only thing that concerns me is image burn and things on the larger plasma's would i be better off going for say a 42 inch or similar,

Post Thanks / Like

*sigh*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    A wise man in the know once told me that if it's over 38", forget LCD and go plasma.

Invisible post bump...

Post Thanks / Like

i can see a handbags at dawn moment coming up

Post Thanks / Like

i don't quite understand what is with the attitude ? Have i actually done something wrong, or is it simply because i have not been on these boards for a very long while.

Either way my apologies..

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my pals a few months back bought an LG 42" 1080p LCD for about £700 or so.

For PS3 and PC games, it's pretty good.

A fair bit better picture quality, colour, contrast, than he Acer 37" 720p LCD that he bough a few months before that.

With 1080p TV, it's very good. 720p TV is less good than on a 720p TV I would guess as when setting the picture size on the LG to 720p for a 720p program it's fully sharp. It loses it a bit when scaling that to 1080p.

Dynamic contrast ratio is only 10,000 or maybe 15,000. But good looking picture, non the less.

Viewing angle is a factor in an long big room like another pal, 30' x 15' as the TV will be at one end facing across the room but people will be watching the footy, or whatever from a settee at the other end as well.

In both cases their perpendicular viewing distance is about 9 to 10 feet. The pal with the LG, the 42" seems fine. Quickly get used to it being there. I scarcely noticed the size increase from the upgrade from 37". Seems like bigger would be fine as that distance. Pixels might start to look more apparent though.

In my listening room, which is also my TV room, the speakers are about 13" from the settee. At that distance I'd need a screen with a 12 foot diagonal to equivocate to the width of the cinema screen showing a 2.35:1 film (cinemascope) or 10' diagonal for 16x9.

Next year OLED TVs should be around in large sizes. Static contrast ratio, 1 million to one. Screen thickness, 3mm. Seems they can roll up, like projection screens. Whether they will, and the size and cost remains to be seen. The screens are made using inkjet printing. Apparently they last indeffinitely.

No-one here has mentioned picture judder with LCD TV's. For me it makes the picture unwatchable. I had to get out of Curries as the LCD judder was giving me a headache.

I'm not sure if Plasmas have this problem. The response time on them is, apparently, instant. I don't if that will do it. The larger room pal just when off to buy the new Panasonic Plasma. There are several in the range. Price for the 2nd best, without the FreeSat, was about £850. 47" maybe that was.

Post Thanks / Like

By juddering, do you mean the picture phasing you get with detailed images such as peoples hair?

Post Thanks / Like

No I mean as images move they appear to flash / strobe across the screen.

Toshiba tried to do something about this with the Regza range by creating a new image and fitting it in between each other normal image, thereby doubling the number of images per second.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tobester View Post
    i can see a handbags at dawn moment coming up
    Not at all, and no need to stir the sh1t either.

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all, and no need to stir the sh1t either.
    T'was a throw away remark, and on reflection out of order, apologies.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my friends has a 42" Samsung Plasma (I forget the model) and it is pretty kick ass. I was impressed with the picture quality of his sky channels (non HD) compared to the inferoir picture quality that my 32" Goodmans (yes, I'm cheap) produces. When plugged into the HDMI port on the PS3 it really comes into its element, perfect picture quality and awesome gaming all-round! One thing I have noticed with his TV though is that when watching some sky channels the picture occasionly flicks to a greeny tinge bu then disappears again, but I think this may be down to his scart leads. Otherwise, a fantastic TV and at a pretty good price.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive always bought the biggest Toshiba I could afford. That rule has never let me down ever.

Sony are overpriceced. Toshiba are generally as good a picture but wih fewer features.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy-G View Post
    Biggest pile of pish I've read in a post for a long time.

52" Phillips Ambilight is what I have in the main room, mounted and angled. No leak or screen burn.

Thats because you havent got SKYSPORTS NEWS on 24/7 or fall asleep with it on the sky tv guide page.

lol

Plasma do burn images into screens, thats a fact, however, like with anything if you look after it theres no need to worry.

LCD is superior in most respects, Plasma is kinda to the wallet.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not gonna bother arguing which is better.......but

Gotta go with Mart on this! Plasma all day long. Ive had a Panasonic plasma for over 5 years now,used everyday tv and xbox 360. not one problem in that time. its getting on a bit now but it still plays everything i throw at it, for a 852x480p set, a 720p and 1080p picture from my HTPC is faultless.

Without getting too technical, IMO LCD give a computer screen type image, if you want a cinemalistic feel go with a plasma.

Ive also got a DLP projector which i bought over an LCD, again for the superior picture.

Like Dawn said, Join the AVforums great site!

As always though, whenever anything like this is debated, you get your for example... i love LCD team...and I love Plasma team.

The fact that you know little about the subject (no offence) to the untrained eye, you prob wouldnt tell much difference between either, whichever you buy im sure you will be over the moon with it.

Like everything in this world though, You get what you pay for!

All the best.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Ive got a 40" LCD sony bravia and well pleased with it. I paid a grand for it a few months back, but it can be had a fare bit cheaper now. Its 1080p and contrast ratio is 16000:1 so not amazingly high but a very good pic in my opinion. There is alot of views on which to go for and i must say the chap i spoke to in the shop advised to go LCD at 40". I looked at a 50" plasma but it was a poorer quality pic ,this was due to the TV being of poorer quality not because LCD is better. You would need a big room to go over 40" really? Ive got a 25 foot living room and chap in shop said id need to sit roughly 17ft from a 50" to get the quality??? how true this is im not sure but up close in the shop it was poo! My one however is good at 2ft or 15ft+.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenobi View Post
    Plasma do burn images into screens, thats a fact
    Fail. We've already established the new units don't, and that's a legit fact.

LCD is superior in most respects, Plasma is kinda to the wallet.
    Fail again. Twice.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a big screen at the moment a nice panasonic plasma is the TV of choice for me. Even though you can get 2ms LCDs you still end up with ghosting and it pisses me off a treat.

Any screen if left on a constant image will "burn" an image after a long period of time.

As for the life of the unit, who the funk is gonna be watching an LCD in 40 years time lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clio GTT View Post
    Any screen if left on a constant image will "burn" an image after a long period of time.
    How many static images are likely to be displayed 24/7 on a home tv?

Post Thanks / Like

Brad has a Panasonic Plasma. He told me it retains an effect of a morning TV logo.

He also said the logo 'burn' does fade by the evening or next morning.

Post Thanks / Like

How many static images are likely to be displayed 24/7 on a home tv?
    very few but i've seen images left from E4 etc, it does happen

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh the big lcd vs plasma debate still raging a year after I bought mine

I spent ages researching mostly on avforums but I finally went with a 42" Panasonic plasma.. I've never regreted it, the picture is fantastic..

Basically my findings were that plasmas were generally better on the larger screen but generally you get what you pay for and the other but is that you generally find you get a better quality plasma for the price of a lesser quality lcd. However if you have the money the processors in the LCD's have improved alot..

as for screen burn this shouldn't be confused with image retention, yes if I'm having an epic game fest sometimes I'll see a faint logo or static element on the screen but this disappears pretty swiftly. Screen burn is considered as permanent and I haven't experienced this.

I got mine from empire direct for a greand with 5 year parts and labour
    Personally I would pic from one of the following and you wouldn't regret it.. (make sure it comes with a stand or pedestal unless you're wall mounting) but it's always worth checking reviews available around the net
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...creen+Size.htm

However I found this whilst I was there £799 reduced by £700 it sounds a steal but I would just check through all the reviews first - oh and I found watching normal terestral tv always looked better on the plasma.. I spent ages staring at screens in John Lewis

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...DL46D3500U.htm

Hope that helps

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I always thought Plasmas only had a native resolution of 1024 x 768, so couldnt do true HD, but the way the screens are lit, they look better at nights (Blacker blacks) whereas LCD`s look better in the day, but all I do know is I have a Projector on a 6ft wide screen and Double Dragon looks the ****ing nuts

Post Thanks / Like

in the end i brought the lcd toshiba 42 inch 1080p , i took a look through the plasmas aswell but problem being im using my tv for the pc aswell, meaning yes there is good chance a static image may display on there for a long time, for exampel the start menu logo in the bottom left.. thanks for the advice given etc

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one glad you found one !!

Post Thanks / Like

Plasma do burn images into screens.
    Not the new generation ones. Technology has moved on from the 1st and 2nd generation and the Phospherous reaction process. Do try to keep up at the back.

LCD is superior in most respects
    Not what any genuine expert I've ever talked to has told me. Or any on line review. Or what the Glasgow branch of this lot told me when I had my house kitted out - http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/home.aspx

Oh, and Ian makes a good point about the LCD judder. I've noticed that as well on them. Apparently the cheap screens are famous for it.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy-G View Post
    Oh, and Ian makes a good point about the LCD judder. I've noticed that as well on them. Apparently the cheap screens are famous for it.
    that's probably down to the frame rate.. plasmas don't seem to suffer from that ..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Warren View Post

as for screen burn this shouldn't be confused with image retention, yes if I'm having an epic game fest sometimes I'll see a faint logo or static element on the screen but this disappears pretty swiftly. Screen burn is considered as permanent and I haven't experienced this.
    I think this is what a lot of people are getting confused with. If I'm playing a game through the S-Video port on my PS2 through my 32" LCD I will sometimes see an image on the screen even though the actual picture has changed. For example, when I play Tourist Trophy I have a rev counter down the bottom right, when I finish the race and the screen loads up the next track I can still see the rev counter very faintly. This only happens though if an image is on the screen for a long time, kinda like a rev counter in a game I guess... Not a problem, won't damage your TV, happy days

Post Thanks / Like

ghosting... yea LCDs do that.

I would advise Plasma, and probably Pioneer.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Plasma's FTW!