Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This might be a great help to some of us "older" lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    I'm older than most people here, and I have standards.

I 'inherited' these from my parents, grand parents, teachers, role models, mentors, even TV and Films from the 60's and before. Back then people tried to live up to a perceived set of rules influenced by the Victorians. Victorian Britain ruled about 1/3 of this planets land surface area and set the standard for the rest of the world to aspire. They didn't achieve that by not giving a ***k tbh!

I do care about not appearing to be a retard, even though in one way, at least, I am one, dyslexic, but my written English is still far far far better than many users of this forum. I have a lot more difficulty than they do just to type out meaningful words at all. Yet I achieve so much better.

Not being bothered to use correct English, Grammar and spelling on a text based forum like this says a lot about someone, none of it good.

For once i finnished reading one of your posts ian... you didnt fail.... well said

Post Thanks / Like

The whole thing confuses me.

In schools up and down the country, every word is spelt EXACTLY the same, the only things that change are the accents they're said in and sometimes the order of the words is amended for regional dialects.

For example, a lot of Northerners say "oop" instead of up...but they still spell it, "up".

I think it's sheer laziness (in my personal opinion, before I get shot down). Where you're from makes no difference at all, the English language does not vary it's actual spelling. We were all taught the same language in school weren't we?

I'm bored of reading people using being dyslexic as an excuse for poor spelling and grammar, do you even understand what it is? My dad is dyslexic and is an Accountant, playing with figures for millions of pounds every day. He just goes over everything twice or three times, just to ensure it's correct. It's called making an effort to be the best you can be, instead of just saying "oh I can't spell, I'm dyslexic". That is NOT what dyslexia is.

Some "txt spk" is silly, the words aren't even shortened, just replaced with other letters and some words are even longer than the original word! This just reminds me of that old scene from the Ali G movie where he's texting the word "batteries" and it comes out as something stupid like B-8-A-REEZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5GTTdrew View Post
    FAIL on ur part, thats how you speak where you come from not where I come from, this thread is gona get ****e, like I said people type how they type..... LIVE WITH IT
    I thought we were talking about English, not Scottish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D4WNO View Post
    This just reminds me of that old scene from the Ali G movie where he's texting the word "batteries" and it comes out as something stupid like B-8-A-REEZ

It reminded me of that to, but mine isnt as bad as that!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    I thought we were talking about English, not Scottish?
    Well all am sayin is thats the way I speak and have always spoke, if anyone has a problem then its ur problem not mine. I get by in life just perfect the way I speak and spell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    I'm older than most people here, and I have standards.

I 'inherited' these from my parents, grand parents, teachers, role models, mentors, even TV and Films from the 60's and before. Back then people tried to live up to a perceived set of rules influenced by the Victorians. Victorian Britain ruled about 1/3 of this planets land surface area and set the standard for the rest of the world to aspire. They didn't achieve that by not giving a ***k tbh!

I do care about not appearing to be a retard, even though in one way, at least, I am one, dyslexic, but my written English is still far far far better than many users of this forum. I have a lot more difficulty than they do just to type out meaningful words at all. Yet I achieve so much better.

Not being bothered to use correct English, Grammar and spelling on a text based forum like this says a lot about someone, none of it good.
    Haha I love you, brilliant post Entertaining & True, even though the first wasn't intended

Post Thanks / Like

I just use proper English and Grammar purely because IMO, not using it looks dumb, and I don't see the point in dumbing myself down. It's just chavvy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post
    I just use proper English and Grammar purely because IMO, not using it looks dumb, and I don't see the point in dumbing myself down. It's just chavvy.

If you smell what bric is cooking..... hahahahahahah chavvy... Ile take that back to my padded room with me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    If you smell what bric is cooking..... hahahahahahah chavvy... Ile take that back to my padded room with me

Post Thanks / Like

Dont mind me... You should know im not normal by now dude.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Dont mind me... You should know im not normal by now dude.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post

Post Thanks / Like

All very interesting points.

Ian, couldn't agree more to your post, well said.

Its not so much the 'written accents' (or whatever you'd like to call it) that upsets me, its the 'txt speak', simple grammar mistakes, pure bone idle attitude of some people on here.

I'll end on this... it is a free country, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and write how/what they wish.

However...

If you expect me to sit here as an educated human and read your posts/answer your questions when you write like an amoeba, expect to be treated like one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quite. They'll soon get the message when no-one is replying back in their 'tech help' threads.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can't be bothered to make a reasonable effort to write properly on this forum when it matters (i.e. in proper discussion, not jokes and banter), then you can't have any complaints at being seen, labeled or treated as a reprobate. In my opinion that's what you deserve in reponse to your laziness, stubborness and refusal to accept that you're fuelling certain fires of the underclass.

I've seen members, who have solid advice to give in threads, withold that advice because people refuse to interact and communicate properly. Not because they are being high handed or selective but because they are exasperated at the level of difficulty associated with conveying a quality message through the utter garbage that both the recipient and other participants are generating en masse.

Post Thanks / Like

Livid, how did you two get in before me

Post Thanks / Like

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vivian.c/TestsFrame.htm

you all know i cant spell to well but i do try .
    take the test above and see how well you get on
    thing is my job does not involve a pen a 13mm spanner is to me mighter than a pen, but at least i try to spell the best i can .
    i have to say though i dont realy like this text sheit stuf whit the M8 cawap thats just bad english but i do like a bit of how you speack (local)

i say ole chap is that your horse
    ey opp is iz that ya donkey

can you see were wear where(ive put all three) im comming from.

to put things straight if your typing an important document. the spelling needs to be correct. but if your just having a chat on an internenty thingy wotsizity chaty thingy jobby mis spelling words puts fealing into wot your trying to say
    ive always said that bashing the keyboard carrys no fealing your all a bunch of cccaaaooouuuhnnnttttsssssssssssss
    see how ive spelt sommate and used a smiley to

bbovvveerrreedddddddd

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
    I'd have to disagree with that Stu. My wife works in a school and I know several teachers. It's nothing to do with fear of being stabbed etc. Half the kids just cant be bothered, they dont want to know. Either that or the parents are a massive cause.

The kids are a product of the generation... Why bother trying in school when daddy gets paid each week by the government for sitting on his ass... he's got a PS3 and 47" LCD flatscreen in his living room, what more does he need?

Oooohhhh dont get me started on the scum that sit on their arse everyday watching Jeremy Kyle because they know how easy it is to get benefits. Too many chavs getting pregnant purely to get housing and benefits. Thats what gets to me more than anything. Should have laws like China when it comes to pregnancy.

Its so true, kids cant be bothered these days because they can get away with everything, and chavs will do ANYTHING to get money, (shanon scenario).

I think you should run them all over in your Jap Muscle Tim, dont worry about the consequences, just do it

Post Thanks / Like

Dont get me started again. Myself and a neighbour were involved in an 'altercation' with the local ped crew yesterday evening. Im not proud, but ended up with a verbal warning from a police officer for an alleged comment I made

Honorary Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I think you need to differentiate between those that cant spell and those that cant be bothered.

I've come across kids with no education that can barely write there own name, its not there fault, its down to the parents and the system failing them, and its actually very sad when you look at there lives and where they are destined to end up.

Then you have those that are very good at English and Grammer but choose to use text speak because they cant be bothered to write or type sentences out in full, this i cant abide. I always write text messages out in full even if it does go on to another page as not doing so is lazy and doesn't set a good example.

Its hardly surprising text speak has come so far when look at the examples we set, for example, how long has Toys R Us been trading for ?!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rach

Absolutely. It's all about reasonable effort according to your personal ability.

Although parents are the culrpits for much of the current malaise, at some point each person has to take responsibility for thier own actions. I don't think there is anyone in this club under the age of 16/17. Given that, if they are also clever enough to navigate the internet and sign up for a forum then they should be taking responsibility for their input to the club.

Post Thanks / Like

trev its all about being a good paront(whoops)parent. buggered if i can spell it but i know how to be a good loving daddy to my two

Post Thanks / Like

tell ya wot pisses me of more than poor spelling is poor hand writing .
    you know the senario when somone writes somthing down with pen a paper and you cannot read or work out wot has been writen . sqiggle

it is all disproportionate to one's abilities to how one spells
    i think the world is a sade place without carrol V
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzcO9JxlMRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xnSD2nab1w

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5GTTdrew View Post
    Well all am sayin is thats the way I speak and have always spoke, if anyone has a problem then its ur problem not mine. I get by in life just perfect the way I speak and spell.
    Like it or not, in society you are judged by the way you express yourself. If this expression hides your true intellect and capabilities, then the only person that will lose out in the long term is yourself. If you are happy with that, then that's fine.

In the UK, we write English to communicate. Not a *******ised form of it.

Everyone in the UK has had the benefit of a free education which is, despite the recent problems, world class. It's up to each individual to make the most of that opportunity.

If you dont, and then get hacked off because people think you are a 'chav', 'ned' or otherwise, then don't blame them, blame yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THE MASTER View Post
    trev its all about being a good paront(whoops)parent. buggered if i can spell it but i know how to be a good loving daddy to my two
    Aye Colin. At some point however, no matter how well you've done, eventually they will fend, make decisions and answer for themselves. And I'm sure they'll do great.

In general it's the ones that are taught right from wrong at every stage who still go onto make a nuisance/sloth of themselves that are the biggest disappointment. Some less fortunate kids/grown ups have good reasons for being militant in this world. Although it's easier to understand and sympathise, that doesn't make what they do right and it shouldn't go unchecked. We all have issues and difficulties.