Post Thanks / Like

gti-r gearbox

hi all
    i'm half way though changing a gearbox on sunny gti-r i have drop the engine and gearbox out on the floor and took off the old box but i cant get the new box back on the engine . it's the last half inch wont go. i have checked the clutch and all the dowls. but the box will not slide on the last half inch.
    can any one help me?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: gti-r gearbox

done a few of these...

i) did you check the centre plate fits the box output shaft splines

ii) if that's okay - is the support A frame on the back of the engine? sometimes this can catch on the transfer casing of the gearbox and stop it locating back properly..

iii) also, are the engine and box both supported as the gtir box almost weighs the same as the engine, not sure if your doing it on a 2 post lift or on the deck, but if you support the engine on a jack or engine bar, then put a sling round the box and suspend with engine crane or something - helps take some of the pressure off the output spline shaft, then it usually pushes back nicely.. Is also possible to seperate the transfer box and the box, as i've heard of somepeople doing it that way, but never tried myself..

Had a mare the first time I tried doing it with the engine in situ, always dropped the box and lump together and separated them on the bench ever since..

Post Thanks / Like

Those brackets on the back of the block that have been mentioned, take them all off, they make half the jobs a ball ache and they're not needed.

Just line the box up and get two bolts into the block, it'll pull the two together, I had the box off so many times on my old motor it became a doddle doing anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    Those brackets on the back of the block that have been mentioned, take them all off, they make half the jobs a ball ache and they're not needed.

Just line the box up and get two bolts into the block, it'll pull the two together, I had the box off so many times on my old motor it became a doddle doing anything.
    cheers adam i will give it a go and let you know how i get .
    thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

i now have the gearbox, engine and transfer box all part i can get the gearbox on the the engine together easy without the transfer box in place. so that tell me the clutch is line up ok.

i then tried to put the gearbox and the transfer box together and that's where the problem is. as i cant get the two box's to meet right without the half inch gap.

does the transfer box shaft have to be a certain way?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olidaviesuk View Post
    done a few of these...

i) did you check the centre plate fits the box output shaft splines

ii) if that's okay - is the support A frame on the back of the engine? sometimes this can catch on the transfer casing of the gearbox and stop it locating back properly..

iii) also, are the engine and box both supported as the gtir box almost weighs the same as the engine, not sure if your doing it on a 2 post lift or on the deck, but if you support the engine on a jack or engine bar, then put a sling round the box and suspend with engine crane or something - helps take some of the pressure off the output spline shaft, then it usually pushes back nicely.. Is also possible to seperate the transfer box and the box, as i've heard of somepeople doing it that way, but never tried myself..

Had a mare the first time I tried doing it with the engine in situ, always dropped the box and lump together and separated them on the bench ever since..
    thanks for the info bud