Post Thanks / Like

who went to uni?

How many of you guys went to uni, i didnt , i stayed on for 6th form , did alevel spec double buisness and i.t, but dropped the i.t as it was useless. I then finished that, never went to uni, got a job through agency working within the building industry, now im 21 still in the building industry, designing roofs on autocad but i really dont wish to be here, and im thinking maybe i should go to uni to take a severe career change hmmm.. Why does the uk suck sooo badly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: who went to uni?

So you decided which path of education you wanted to take, and now you're blaming the UK in general for a job (that anyone is lucky to have in this current climate) that you don't like?

I tw@tted my big toe into the corner of my bed-frame this morning ( ) but does that mean I should now whinge on about the excessive amount of wood used on Ikea beds?!

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody students

Post Thanks / Like

sorry im not blaming the uk for that , im blaming the uk for the ****ty current climate. Id like to move into training for a diffrent career, however no companies can afford to take on students on etc, that is what i was getting at , so for now im pretty much stuck in this. I guess its a bit selfish having a half decent job within the industry and not being happy with it, when many people in the same industry have lost there jobs, but its just not what i ever intended on doing and i have no ambition to continue doing it., We will see though, there are a few diffrent plans within the pipeline.

Post Thanks / Like

Its never to late to change your career bud! With the climate as it is, it just means you've got to work alot harder at getting what you want, not to sound rude but whinging wont get you anywhere !

Mart as for Ikea to be fair they do use a hell of alot of wood, I would say a letter was in order!

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to uni (10 years ago now ) I'm glad I did now as it has paid dividends!! My opinion would be that if you can afford to go then you should do it while you're young. However, I would do a degree in an subject that will lead to a decent carreer rather than doing business studies etc that every man and his dog has!

Post Thanks / Like

yea i know whining gets you know where, just a interesting topic. I have a friend in a similar situation, he has always done car bodywork, he owned his own buisness, did very well, but come this recession the work dissapeared, so he ended up selling up. Hes just got a job as a van driver as there isnt any more work in his previous career, dispite his talent/qualifications for it. (not saying there is no cash to be made in bodywork but his buisness was a high cost , large spec, with high prices and high quality finish's.)

Ah well bring on summer , and car shows and all will be good again

oh and if i went to uni , id probably do a cisco course , but not 100%, only problem is a think you have to go to scumthorpe for them ,

Post Thanks / Like

i went to uni at the age of 24, absolutley the best time of my life all the pussy i got was unreal im now fat and married
    oh and i studied animal management.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

It is amazing that a piece of paper can make a difference despite most of things you are taught are out of date before you leave! I did two years then put it on hold went and got a job, then finished it off part time. This worked for me, glad I did finish it, but lots of my friends have done well without any GCSEs etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I think im going to look into i some more, i recon my big bro would back me up with funding for Uni if i did a cisco course , Guess i need to look into it some more.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't go, I did look into going however. I didn't fancy the £20k in fees alone that my course was going to cost, so instead went and gained 4 years work experience in that time instead. I now earn far more than any of my friends that went to Uni do, and have double the amount of work experience. I do wish that I had gone just for the social side of it though, sounded a lot of fun

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt go to uni, I just went out with a girl who did... best of both worlds... earn money and get the parties.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm at uni...its awesome! enough said

Post Thanks / Like

If anything i would always reccommend apprenticeships! You get on the job traing four days a week and then you get the classroom qualification also! I am not a studier i hate college work, but today the piece or paper means more. (Ok thats not quite true because things are being based more on experience again!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    yea i know whining gets you know where, just a interesting topic.
    Yea it is a very good topic indeed! You can already see theres many different options and its not always the academic route that will get you the better job

Post Thanks / Like

I did, but I'm doing something completely different than what I studied.

It's good to have the qualification though as you never know what tomorrow brings

Post Thanks / Like

I almost went, well, I got as far being accepted by a few lol

I managed to complete 4 A - Levels, I'm looking at doing Maths at A - Level as I have the time off at the moment.

I wanted to go into IT/Computing as that was what I grew up with but with me being a design geek aswell at that time, my main aim was to become an architect. I loved autocad etc.

Then that changed to accountancy LOL

I've experienced alot outside of not going to Uni but I still feel I made the right choice. I have a relatively well paid job for what I do but I just don't maximise my potential. That doesn't mean I want to do what I am doing for ever

Just like everyone else, finding a job that fits your individual skills and experience can be very time consuming and people end up just slotting in. I suppose a degree adds an element of singularity, makes you stand out. Like Ash says, having a degree in something worthwhile makes a difference, not something that looks good on paper.

If someone has a real desire to succeed, they would do whatever is required, university degree or not.

Post Thanks / Like

i went to uni, got a degree in materials science, was over 13years ago now.

i didnt get a good enough degree to get into one of the premier manufacturing companies, so i ended up getting a job via an agency after being unemployed for 9months.

i worked with them for a few years , then got a job at dunlop tyres. all good i thought.... 7 months later was made redundant as goodyear took em over.

so i went back to the agency placement. stayed there for a bit longer, got the sack.
    then did some labouring.
    then moved to a company fixing hydraulic rams on the back of lorries.

then finally ended up in GSF, where ive done various jobs.- been here for 8 years this year - not tired of it yet!

the point being is ALL the companies i could have worked for back in the day have either gone bump, moved manufacturing abroad or just generally lost 1000's of jobs.

what i do at the moment, has nothing to do with my degree. which looking back was far too narrow a field.

you need to think long and hard about what you are gonna do.

history of art is popular amongst royals, cos they have the least hours to do, the most women on the course and its easy! but are you gonna become and art historian? - how many geography degree's are used in the geography field - not many -most become teachers!

choose wisely my friend! - avoid manufacturing.

Post Thanks / Like

I stayed on at school in the 6th form and got 4 A levels. I then took a year out as I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I got into Civil Engineering during this time and the company that I worked for paid for my to go to university part time. It took a while but I got the degree with no debt. I even got paid by the company for going!!

Post Thanks / Like

I took the apprenticeship route instead. Left school with decent grades, Just didn't fancy studying any longer.

Started my apprenticeship in joinery 16 yr old, Passed my nvq 2 & 3. On the tools doing site & bench joinery until 2007.

Closure of the joiners shop got me redeployed in the same company as Clerk of works. The shake up of possibly losing my job spurred me on to learn new skills instead of sitting back & doing the same old job. Now im on with social housing stock condition surveys, hhsrs surveys etc. Hoping to become a fully qualified building surveyor in the near future.

One thing for sure though, if it all goes t*ts up ill get the tools back out with no hesitation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    I took the apprenticeship route instead. Left school with decent grades, Just didn't fancy studying any longer.

Started my apprenticeship in joinery 16 yr old, Passed my nvq 2 & 3. On the tools doing site & bench joinery until 2007.

Closure of the joiners shop got me redeployed in the same company as Clerk of works. The shake up of possibly losing my job spurred me on to learn new skills instead of sitting back & doing the same old job. Now im on with social housing stock condition surveys, hhsrs surveys etc. Hoping to become a fully qualified building surveyor in the near future.

One thing for sure though, if it all goes t*ts up ill get the tools back out with no hesitation.
    I went the same route as you Brigsy, i had my job a month before i left school at 16 and did a 3 year apprenticeship in Carpentry and Joinery. Wise words my mother gave to me was that having a City and Guilds would open doors to any company that required carpenters and not only in England but Worldwide throughout my working career, i'd never be out of work if i was good in my field of work.

Being a carpenter was something i always wanted to be, practical and the good thing about it is the job is varied, the jobs done are varied and so are the locations. You also get to meet so many different people (other trades) so there's the social side of things to it as well. Character and confidence building because believe me being an apprentice you get the mickey taken out of you, the butt of many jokes (sometimes practical) which seems to be the 'norm' when being an apprentice.

I knew i'd never be good enough to go to Uni but what my job gives me in other ways is quite fulfilling.

If you get the opportunity to get into Uni then i guess go for it, but when you come out of it and there's nothing at that moment in time and you have to take on a manual labour job or something else it's not the end of the world. Different life experiences make you a better person for everything else.

Post Thanks / Like

i did a levels in the 2 years of 6th form, then another year at college doing a foundation degree in art and design... and i'm a service advisor at peugeot... do the maths there lol

Post Thanks / Like

I chose the 6th form option too, mostly for the social event. School day's were some of the best (now I know I'm getting old)
    I didn't want to go to uni after so I done an apprenticeship and it was great.

But when we visit mates at uni I always want the lifestyle... minus the skintness and debt.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post

I tw@tted my big toe into the corner of my bed-frame this morning ( ) but does that mean I should now whinge on about the excessive amount of wood used on Ikea beds?!

Ikea?? WTF?? and a wooden bed.... obivouisly mart wasnt expecting any action on this bed...

Post Thanks / Like

uni......hmmmmmm guess it can be good..but it cant get
    you a degree in COMMON SENSE!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J$£5GTT View Post
    uni......hmmmmmm guess it can be good..but it cant get
    you a degree in COMMON SENSE!!!!!!
    You don't have that either J....you're screwed

Post Thanks / Like

well...to be honest i never had an interest in uni.i never really had a career path.i was to dissatisfied at school to want anythin but out of there.
    when i left at 17...ended up in a photo lab..trained up there.i got to best of my level and got promoted to another section of the lab..did the same there then i ended up running both sections among doing other things.
    at the time i was a bit fed up an didnt want to end up like some of the other guys there 15 years.
    moved abroad.studied body piercing...co owned a shop with a tattooist
    came home managed a clothing store
    went abroad again...was retail buyer in NY
    came home, went abroad again..opened a clothing shop whilst learning airbrushing
    came home opened another shop doin solely airbrushing...had a fallout with the landlord and now im back at doing photography related products for a small company
    personally im glad i didnt go to uni...mayb i wouldnt have been and done things now...mayb id be rich?
    who knows.
    the uk has its benefits but at th same time its one of its downfalls.
    whichever way itl stil b home

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D4WNO View Post
    You don't have that either J....you're screwed

takes one to know one D !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    Ikea?? WTF?? and a wooden bed.... obivouisly mart wasnt expecting any action on this bed...
    Harsh

I wrecked my Ikea bed at the weekend...

Post Thanks / Like

School of hard knocks & college of life worked for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    The bed's not the only thing that can take my weight

Post Thanks / Like

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The bed's not the only thing that can take my weight
    lol i wouldnt want to know... just dont get them back seats in your 5 stained

Post Thanks / Like

Im 32 this year and doing a degree in mechanical building services engineering. I enroled and then was told its the hardest technical degree the uni does! lovely i thought but im still there. Im 8 months into a new job, have a 1 year old litttle girl and a fekin reno 5. As you can imagine my life aint the most relaxing. If i get through the degree then i may aswell go and do the masters and be done once and for all!!

Post Thanks / Like

i was never intrested in going to uni wasnt my thing but got a apprenticeship in the motor trade (3years ago) havent looked back since never dowted taking this route learning all the time havent got a huge bill over my head for years on end i think its personal choice really depends on what career u choose

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't go to Uni, I went to college once when I was 16 but only lasted 2 weeks, somehow ended up in Newquay not long after, working for rent and to go out at the weekend, then not long after ended up in the motor trade, to which progressed as a paintsprayer, then on too our own business with a couple of vans doing mobile car body repairs with my old man to present day age 25, . Which is great as I don't have to take orders from anyone! All depends what you want from life I suppose.
    Last edited by wrightygtt; 10-02-2009 at 23:20.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I ve done 7 years at uni and one at college.

When i left school i got an hon degree in journalism. Tried to make it but wasnt dedicated enough.

Went back to college 4 years ago got some new highers and now im in third year eletrical engineering.

Uni is good but only if you so a worthwhile course. Lots of rubbish that will get you nowere but a pile of debt.

But if you want a job that your passionate about and has good prospects it can be worthwile

Post Thanks / Like

i did a degree in economics.

served me well so far!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    i did a levels in the 2 years of 6th form, then another year at college doing a foundation degree in art and design... and i'm a service advisor at peugeot... do the maths there lol
    do you work with your bro.?

Post Thanks / Like

I did a criminology degree

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i never went to uni i wish i had now i went to collage instead and did motor vehicles level 1,2,3 and business studies wish i had gone to uni and did motor sport but i think im getting to old now im 25 now

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That is soo true tho im now jobless Still have something in the pipeline tho i lose 13K a year to begin with !!!!!!!!