Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

205 gti 8v/gti6

ok, here is my 205 gti project, i brought this car out of a field and it had been stood for around 5 years.

anyways if a lot of it makes no sence dont worry its many posts i have compiled together from another forum so a lot of it make seem crap well the beam is now off the car and the shocks removed, ready to go down to Constella which i plan to do on saturday . dont believe it alex :P anyhow with the help of jason we removed the rusty remains of the old fog lights, and replaced with some aftermarket plastic units, which should withstand the test of time much better. Also since the rear beam was off i decided i would do somthing i usally never lend my hand to.... I CLEANED .... the rear inner arches well the torsion bar is now back on (for the minute) with the help of a few peeps , the back end is rock steady now, go-kart style, not quite as low as sarahs however . Also got the solid mounts that should keep it rock steady now, will need to get some lower profile tyres, but will get around to doing that. well here is the monkeys, thanks for the help and the back end of the car well, spent a while today sorting out the intermittent starter motor problem and it seems all sorted now. Also putting the beam on Wednesday night. here it is painted up.. did do it with a yellow beam originally to look like pug oe parts but the yellow was to much hard work so painted the whole thing black . well i almost have all the samcos on.. ordering my engine mounts tomorrow and hope to get the brakes done this weekend so all going well update, shiny front and back stoppers now on with new brake lines, much appreciated Biggy Had a delivery today, super quick, top stuff from bm baker as always highly recomended, Had a Full set of Grp N engine mounts and my final hose (oil filler hose) in silicon so shouldn't go brittle well update done 2 of 3 engine mounts now, replaced for group n , yey, also done lots of other odd bits, fixed blowing exhaust etc etc, ran outa fuel on my drive now though. The third engine mount i dont think i am going to fit just yet as it requires being pressed and i have to take a driveshaft out to get to it , so i will wait until its on the road and speak 2 biggy about free rental on a Gun to make the job easier out with the old cleaned out the throttle body .. n breathers still no joy, .. ill will going at it till i pull the problems out, ive been told it may just need driving but we will see. anywayz new purchase today, just need james to fabricate me subframes. I went for a mixture on this one and went for a good mix between motorsport value and comfort . anywayz here are a few poor pics. well, car got its first (exterior) clean today, thanks to dave for helping me remove the years of moss that has formed on it, Jason also managed to sort my earthing problem (fingers crossed. anyway a good day next things are to clean the interior, tidy the car, remove the rear seats, get harnesses in.. oh and sort the rattling cambelt cover. lol, nah angry cloe loves ya :P.. thanks for that alex, makes it all worth it hearing things like that.. well made a new purchase thanks to sneydster . cheers bud just got to make up some smart looking base plates now pics to accompany sundays mayhem...... lolol.. look at the jubilation of big jase's face... its clearly been a while since he found his small tool!!!!! lolol just need one now of the empty bay.. before and after a clean.... but now for the highlight of the day.. deej's up n cummence.... BIGGY says, "Bleed *****" Ok , since as i had some group n suspension rubbers i decided it would be a nice time to remove a little of the rust that had built up on my spax suspension and jst brighten it up a little, however i didnt want to go as far as powercoating as come summer i plan for some bilstein coilovers, so anyway here is a few pics. wirebrush to remove old paint and flaky rust. sarah begins on the springs 2 completed dampers 2 completed springs and a set of group n rubbers the car as it stands one completed suspension leg well as you can see from the pic the car is now alive and running with full working electrics, however it is still not 100% perfect mechanically. Plans are for this week to fit my Avo Front CoilOvers Whilst at the same time doing my DriveShaft Oil Seals to try to solve my leaking G-Box problem. Then at the weekend i plan to get a Heater Matrix as mine seems to have a leak hence the condensation forming in my car. Busy week again . Once is leaking no more fluids and gripping the road like it should ill get onto making it look the part. hehe, i look forward to the heater martix, tonight i swapped my drive shaft seals for some new pug items. Here are a few pics New seals. (diffrent to the ones i removed) Old seal New Seal fitted Today i had a delivery so hopefully i plan to get them on Saturday, as well as pick up a new rad and fit it , aswell as find a heater matrix from loomsies, plus fit it. oh its great fun :P Well had a busy weekend, thanks to biggy and jason for taking me shopping for my new parts. new heater matrix new radiator full exhaust plus 4 branch manifold. Heater matrix was a doddle, little fiddly but cant see what so many people seemed to find so hard about it. new rad is on now, so now more constant filling up with water. coilovers are now on, and the car handles like it should. and a big thanks to biggy putting up with me and helping me fit my new exhaust manifold. Not much of a update here, just a old pic of the engine we have put in it. Plans are now to get it all pretty :wink:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 205 gti 8v/gti6

small update for me, i fitted some infinty comps which i got for a bargain price, and ran them off a inphase amp, sounds great for average listerning. I also brought a full new red trim set from pug, with thanks to donna for her delivery and discount. big thanks ! plus new clips

latest mod. I purchased a full replacement unit quickshift from rob @ Constella, The quality of it feels great, when i picked it up i had to be care full as the gearnob has only jst come off the polisher. anyway , bit of a ball ache to fit, but once on it felt so much more positive, and reduced the play in my gear selection dramatically aswell as the throw. here is the unit before fitting. and me removing the old unit

Post Thanks / Like

speant a bit of time on the front end, my new frenchie yellow fogs are now here, i went for the ones with yellow reflective backs rather than lenses , bit diffrent i thought, ignore the black grill , im still in 2 minds, also new indicators fitted.

will start hunting for a new tailgate then, as promised pics of the orange wheels, the colour is strange, when in the son the colour is very peachy and glitter stands out nice, at night it goes a very dark orange, will get some pics when sunny if it ever is to show, makes a change anyhow and its a bit fresher for the car.

and fitted looks nicer though now its all cleaned inside etc

Post Thanks / Like

hmm maybe maybe i got a present today, lots of wires. lots of wires

well today, i grabbed myself one of these as i think its going to be needed. Also got the lamda sensor ill be needing (bosch) as i swear by them. And the great gti6 manifold

not really done much over xmas, but got delivery of my new engine crane, and tested the loading capacity by getting ben to hang off it.

ok update, i now have some pics of the engine, also i wrapped it up until i need to look at putting it in.

Post Thanks / Like

well ive got a couple of extra bits, Loom for the rev counter on the gti6 off spiky And a adapter to fit the therostat housing off my 8v onto the gti6 from stew @ bm baker

Post Thanks / Like

update.

Continued removing the 8v unit,

wiring loom placed neatly over drivers side wing.

Inlet manifold removed

with a bit of shuffeling and movign around one engine on engine crane, ( along with tom who helped with the removal)

one engine bay now empty

and the gti6 which is going in its place

Post Thanks / Like

looks good!

i had my Turbo 2 photo shoot with the Baker BM fella.... nice guy, but was abit of a plank.

Post Thanks / Like

cant wait for a passenger ride fella, should be pretty damn awesome when its done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    looks good!

i had my Turbo 2 photo shoot with the Baker BM fella.... nice guy, but was abit of a plank.
    yea man i know the guy stew. He has a rebuilt 1.6 box with mi16 final drive that im umming about having, but im not sure, its geared a little low for the gti6

Post Thanks / Like

Well Cut of the rotton bumper mounts today (will be ordering new from pug)

Then took a good look around at the areas of rust to trackle. This is what i found. After much proding with a screwdriver though it appears none of it was weak/soft so all good. !!

Post Thanks / Like

onch again work has been on going. the clifford wiring and the old 8v loom removed after i cut off the ecu plug. Further poking at the inner wing and i find a hole cant really see it to well but basically the dark area needs welding up, luckily that should not be a prob from under the arch to get to. then i speant some monnies on all the kit to make my own brake lines, also got a pair of the pipe bending pliers. and 7 bolts later the off comes the whole front subframe Then i turned attention to the engine block and stripped off the inlet etc to see exactly what i was working with and where the oil leak was from.

Post Thanks / Like

Well another hard day work on the car, a bit closer , but stilll plenty more work to be done.

Wel the greasy subframe and other bits were treated to a £2.50 shappoo and rinse at the local petrol station.

and clean

Then the G man came over n whipped my front wings off, thanks man, (he also lost temper with one)

And tom sat in my engine bay with the lil steamer

which worked well

and my non existant bumper brackets

Post Thanks / Like

Well had my welder james coem to cut out all of the rotton areas in the inner wing and sort them out and get them and seam sealed them all up. Then Gray came over and gave my bay prep some paint. There are a few areas that need a quick look at but all good. What do you think to the colour ?

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Damian/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.jpg[/IMG]

Also i got the brass linkage bush kit from baker bm, and i must say its fits great and has 100% removed play from it, damn good buy.

Also got a nylon bush kit for the fork linkage.
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Damian/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-7.jpg[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Really coming on mate The colour is beaut, i am a big fan of white cars tho! Keep up the good work! Look forwrd to that spin

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good

Once again another car being reborn with loads of effort and time going into it.

Good work.............can see my shocks coming out of mine for a little paint job

Post Thanks / Like

somes pics of the engien bay second time round.

Opinions welcome.

seam sealer spec brush

guide coat after high build ready to flat

and some more

And just to show , i havnt got massive funds, nor have i got a garage (not one for my car to go in anyway, the weather was bad so we improvised.

Post Thanks / Like

i did the same with the seem sealer that stuff is a pain mate , but looks top good job is that base coat and clear ??
    keep up the good work

Post Thanks / Like

yea it isnt the easiest stuff to use. The paint is a direct gloss, therefore no base coat/laquer , its ideal as i want to track the car, and should i have any bumps it will be much easier to blow the direct gloss in i think .

Post Thanks / Like

looking really nice. like the orange wheels, always nice to have something a bit different :P

Post Thanks / Like

Turned attention today towards the engine, stripped it down and gave the main block and oil cooler a lick of engine paint, its halfords gloss black stuff and i must say hats off , fast drying easy to apply and great coverage, spot on for £5 or so. Also i replaced copper washers for all the senders, fitted Sandys Tpiece adapted and fitted a genuine pug oil filter to the engine. Also whizzed of the cambelt cover to check condition, it all looks about new but ill be changing it anyway for piece of mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Well i attacked the brake servo and master cylinder with hammerite spray paint , first thing i will say is this stuff is a nightmare to paint and goes on like piss, seams the lightest coat ever is needed to give the paint something to stick to once its gone tacky, anyway here are a few pics.

quick pic of first coat on the master cylinder *just shows how thin the paint is*

then gave my gearbox a lick of paint to tidy it up.

Post Thanks / Like

bit of an update, firstly i brought and fitted a 1.9 mi16 push clutch to the gti6 engine and bolted on the gearbox.

Then i reseamsealed the eghaust tunnel where the heat had caused the o/e stuff to all crack of.

shutzz the front arches

Gave the driving light cases a lick of paint as they were battered after only 4 months of use (denji/bad quality)

Then fitted Various brackets, subframe and brake servo back into the engine bay.

along with a pair of new pug arb bushes

Post Thanks / Like

Well i decided to have a shot at bolting up the engine today, the big ass heavy thing it is. Ignore the unpainted battery tray , that will be coming off at a later date for paint.

so at the moment its bolted in under the gearbox and the front drivers side top mount, fork mount isnt bolted as i need to adjust the manifold before it will fit. So far ive sliced the manifold across the bottom ready to bend it however my grinder could not get far enough into it so i fear i made need 10 mins with a hack saw.

I managed a few scuff marks but there were kept at a minmium

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Im loving this project, i have a real soft spot for 205 gti's good work keep it up.

Post Thanks / Like

got the engine in today , with the manifold cut and bent (still needs welding up) good clearance all round, not tried it with the master cylinder yet.. really happy though, here are the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the manifold all welded up and threw a die grinder around the inner edge to get it smooth.

Also scotched up the thottle body and gave it a coat of paint.

And also preped up the inlet manifold with some scotch , and chucked some etch primer on the areas where i had gone through the original paint to metal.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks well

A mate of mine has an mi16 205 gti, Had a go in it a while back & it weren't too shy at all. Wouldn't mind one myself for a trackday toy.

Post Thanks / Like

theres been a delay in updates as the things ive been doing include

fitting genuine cambelt kit
    replacing nuts and bolts from the subframe,
    fitted engine and loom and fired it up for the first time and it all works.
    collected a pair of new front wings

and now ive just stripped the manifold back down for paint and im working out the route to take with regards to plumbing the engine in.

Ive also been plumbing in the gti6 using some of the 8v hosing aswell as the thermostat adapter (curtoisy of baker bm) and some random hosing from scrapyards.

Ive not plumbed up the oil cooler housing as im going to get a remote oil cooler (mocal or similar)

Only thing ive realised now is the only bleeding point i have is the one on the thermostat, any ideas if i will manage to bleed the system ok.

Post Thanks / Like

well, i gave the inlet and cam covers a pruce up with some fresh paint, after scothing and panel wipe, they came up ok so thats all back on now.. Also i found a carvan shop that does 8mm fuel line and all the ends i need so on wednesday night ill be fitting new fuel lines to the car throughout and a 106 gti fuel filter underneath the car.

Also i took a video of the car running up to temp. (no manifold)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8kYBSFHPM

and the section i needed to cut for clearance

Also i have two redundant plugs hanging about the throttle body area.. do i need them ?

Post Thanks / Like

bit of an update, cars now on 4 wheels, with new wheel bearing etc, theres clearance with the borbets on the gti6 calipers, but only just, Ive fitted new fuel lines and opted for using the 306 fuel filter and mounting it below the rear brake compensator, i used the original barbed plastic connections etc to fit the fuel filter using the original quick release fittings and all seems well.

I guess ill soon be at a stage to look at the bodywork to some degree and get help from friends

Post Thanks / Like

love this project
    likin the old school classics!

keep up the good work

Post Thanks / Like

malgré que je ne suis pas fan des 205 GTI , je doit bien avoué que ton projet et tout bonnement remarquables :
    bien typé old school et racing , tout ce que j'aime !

although I am not fan of the 205 GTI, I must acknowledged well that your project and simply remarkable :
    typified old school and racing well, all that I like

Post Thanks / Like

Well , as most of the engine side of things is complete i decided to take the plunge and begin attacking the bodywork..
    First i removed the dash ready as i dont want to have to dodge this around spraying,

Then i removed the door pins which had seen better days, cant wait to get these replaced and see if it looses the play.

Then i decided to begin preping the boot floor which has a fair few dints, im not to worried about it being perfect but i decided to fill some low spots and block it off.. Im by no means a bodywork guy but i like to learn so hey may aswell give it a go where the finish isnt a huge problem.

One thing that has worried me is towards the back of the roof i have 3 very small holes (not sure what caused this) its solid around the holes, question is how do i attack it, i dont think it can be welded due to roof warping, i cant get underneath is as there is a stenghting bar right in the way so thats not possible.
    Advice & suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Well , i decided to go with a carbon fibre plate to cover my sunroof, firstly that would require a plate making up, a quick word with the mrs and she set about to it.., not bad for a girly girl eh :P

off comes the run roof

and the template is ready to send off for cutting and making up into shape.. , i had to continue it so far back as to cover up the holes left by the sunroof sliders at the back of the roof.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work buddy, I like it a lot! Brave of you to let the missus near your car. I would never let my trouble & strife anywhere near the car for any maintenance. That said, it looks like she's done quite a good job!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome project, that looks really good

I better not show this to my missus as she loves the 205GTi

Post Thanks / Like

haha, thanks guys, yea the mrs loves the 205's she also has one , a 20 xs with some headwork etc, real quick car on a twin choke carb so shes quite good when it comes to the cars , shes not a fan of the r5's though really.

I once got her to underseal the full underneath of a car with a brush, ... however i forgot to give her a pair of gloves... not impressed!! :P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    haha, thanks guys, yea the mrs loves the 205's she also has one , a 20 xs with some headwork etc, real quick car on a twin choke carb so shes quite good when it comes to the cars , shes not a fan of the r5's though really.

I once got her to underseal the full underneath of a car with a brush, ... however i forgot to give her a pair of gloves... not impressed!! :P
    Theres an idea, I'll mention that to my missus, she can crack on with the 172

Post Thanks / Like

im astonished at how far the car has come matey, your efforts and those involved is an inspiration and im bloody proud of you, looks too sweet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5alldaway View Post
    im astonished at how far the car has come matey, your efforts and those involved is an inspiration and im bloody proud of you, looks too sweet
    Here Here!

I wondered what you were guna do about them holes! Go Sarah nice work there! Let me guess, were you upstairs on the rtoc by any chance while she was busy doin that?!

Post Thanks / Like

more like he had his face in a pie while sarah was hard at work

anyway badgeless grill ftw deej, u know it makes sense!

Post Thanks / Like

On sunday , me and a friend slaved in a scrapyard to cut off a 205 non sunroof , roof. It was strapped to my r5 to bring it home and we got some comical looks.

All the spot welds on my current r5 roof are going to be drilled and removed, as are the welds on this donor roof , then they will be swapped

Post Thanks / Like

update !!

I got the seast ive been after for sooo long, sparco evos.

Also i left my friend to tackling the alternator, he used a bracket from an old volvo and modified it to fit and got halfords shortest alternator belt, 30 mins later and its all on , bolted up perfect.

With regards to the fuel lines ive decided to run the proper gti6 fuel filter with the push on clips (easy to change) and move all risk of fuel leaks away from the bulkhead.

Ive set the metal pipes right up the inside wing (will posibily heat and bend this to get them a bit straighter but you get the idea, its all super tight and working now

Post Thanks / Like

Another update, busy day.

Well ive not really ever painted out of a gun myself and i had two items, the battery tray and front slam panel, neither were in great condition and ideally could of done with powder coasting but instead i decided to use this time as some experiance for myself with spraying, worst case both items unbolt so can be redone.

I setup spray shop, and the equipment, the neighbours love me.

I then prepped both items to some degree, and gave them a panel wipe down, then on with quite a heavy layer of high build and left to dry, i then gave this a rub down with 400 grade.

I then attacked both items again with the white 2k, i gave them 3 dry coats and then one heavy coat to try to get some shine on the items.

The finished article

im happy with it for my first attempt, no runs or issed spots etc, only thing ive noticed when looking real close is there is a form of micro blister all over both items, this is barely noticable in the white and certainly wont be when in the bay, but im thinking if this was black or a dark color it wouldnt be. Ive put this down to maybe water in the compressor or similar , however if anybody wants to give there view i would appreciate that.

Also i noticed after finishing i had some how made a pattern of a guy jumping the mood :P

Post Thanks / Like

Top job fella. Keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no sprayer myself mate so i won't pass judgement, it's always worth giving it a go and maybe learing something in the process

Your project is great to follow and a credit to yourself mate, looking forward to the next update

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job there deej You know i ain't gota clue but i think your right about the bit of water in the paint, i know you need to use one of them diffusers to attach to your compressor and then take your hose off of that when after a sweet finish, i've got em at work for about 8 buff if you want one mate It'd be worth undoing the sump plug and draining any sitting water out of the tank before you use it anyways,if you haven't already done it bud. Nice work

Post Thanks / Like

cars back from the bodyshop with a roof.

It appears to be spot welded in the original places and sleeved at the pillars.

I told him to leave all filler work etc and wait until the whole car is ready for prep and spray.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

sometimes with filler you want to get it in as soon as possible, give it time to settle. but, you probably wanted to inspect the welding on a job like that, so it's probably for the best.

Post Thanks / Like

indeed there was that scoff. On this car im letting the bodyshop do the spray job (outside) so if theres in sinkage etc i guess ill just pop it back , hes a really sound guy and pretty easy going with things like that