Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cut out no power

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hello while driving along ealier car cut out at about 30mph rev counter speedo all dropped to nothing, just as I was about to pull up it kicked back in and hey presto off I went again! Then a bit later on sat at a set of traffic lights it cut out no dash warning lights nothing turned the key to restart absolutly nothing put hazzards on they worked after a few attempts frantically trying to get it stared it cranked over fired up and off I went!! I've checked all the battery and earth connections and all is fine. What else should I be looking for? Cheers

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cut out no power

Quote Originally Posted by B4NK51E View Post

Hello while driving along ealier car cut out at about 30mph rev counter speedo all dropped to nothing, just as I was about to pull up it kicked back in and hey presto off I went again! Then a bit later on sat at a set of traffic lights it cut out no dash warning lights nothing turned the key to restart absolutly nothing put hazzards on they worked after a few attempts frantically trying to get it stared it cranked over fired up and off I went!! I've checked all the battery and earth connections and all is fine. What else should I be looking for? Cheers
    Sounds like you may have an earth problem buddy , check them all, if fine maybe its not , you could run another from the gearbox to bulkhead if needed, may not be the case , but its helped me in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

look at the positive connections at the back of the starter motor. or the large postive that 'should ' be held against the bulkhead - likes to come loose and fry on the manifold/block are.

Post Thanks / Like

chech the brown connector block behind ashtray and heater area
    i had same problems before

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    look at the positive connections at the back of the starter motor. or the large postive that 'should ' be held against the bulkhead - likes to come loose and fry on the manifold/block are.
    had that happen to me forgot to clip back and fryed on down pipe. pulled it off
    and hey presto i had power

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave j gtt View Post
    had that happen to me forgot to clip back and fryed on down pipe. pulled it off
    and hey presto i had power
    Yep , agree with them both , done that too...worth checking for sure , as engine fires can occur after this if not carefull....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much will look into these areas when its not snowing so heavily

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It happened again today but this time couldn't get power to ignition to start it luckily enough it was outside my mom's house, so I phoned my breakdown recovery who came out but they were pretty much useless saying they couldn't really do anything but tow me to a garage! Not prepared to start paying garage charges told them to leave it where it was & I'd have a go myself. After collecting my tools & 5mins with the car looks like I've sorted the problem, I found a loose (grey) connector with 2 yellow wires going into it by the steering column underneath the wiper switch pushed it in properly & Bob's ya uncle, lights lit up & started straight away jobs a good un. cheers for the advise I'm sure I'll be needing plenty more.

Post Thanks / Like

i think that connector supplies ignition positive to the whole car....