Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Back from a distant past!

It's been many a year since i was last on this forum with any regulatory (i'm guessing it could be 10 years ), but have had membership on occasion over that time. Hopefully there are some people who recognise me still around?

I first owned the R5 GTT that was known by members at the time for being the login page image, before moving onto a white R5 GTT Phase 2 that i still currently own (and haven't not driven in years ). I was surprised to see my it's 1/4 mile time still on the leaderboard after all this time.

The car has been in storage has had numerous bits of paint / upgrades etc in the time it's been off the road, but has been slow progress. I'm really keen to get the car back and driveable now, and if feasible look to see how i can get into some 'very' amateur hill climb / short sprints in the next few years. .......and so with my new sense of motivation and direction i'm back to say hello!!
    Likes Matt Cole, Alex, Trevhib liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Back from a distant past!

Welcome back Bushy. It's been a long time. It's quiet on here now, but there's still a few of the old stalwarts regularly post.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Matt, I figured the 5 turbo chat might have gone a bit more quiet with them becoming more of a rare sighting in the time i've been away

Good to know theres some familiar faces still knocking about the place though & need to keep my inspiration up so that i follow through on getting back in the car!!!! I'm sure this place will help as it always did in the past.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Howdy

As memberships admin, when I saw you join last night I couldn't believe you didn't already have an account with this 2008 website and had to go and check the database.

For me those years have passed without me noticing, except for the extra pain and reduced health, vision, hearing, mobility, memory, etc..

This thread might be interesting regarding your desire to go racing: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...ed-season-2017

There are only about 350 5GTT on the road these days, 100 more in summer. Main desire seems to be to convert them back from being as much fun as possible to as standard and possible and store them and wait for the value to appreciate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Main desire seems to be to convert them back from being as much fun as possible to as standard and possible and store them and wait for the value to appreciate.
    The implication being that they're no fun to drive as standard cars...

Wrong, wrong, wrong I say! Mine was always standard, well allowing for
    a couple of discreet mods (air filter / exhaust pipe) and after 15 years of
    garaging and 4 years of restoration, I can't believe just how much I've
    missed the fun of driving this car! Youth revisited, perhaps? Maybe, but
    fun is fun, in any language!

If anyone is aiming for trailer queen status for their cars, then they're
    missing out, big time. Welcome back Bushy and set to, you'll not regret
    it for a moment...

Regards,
    Steve
    Likes Mr Raider liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back .

Its nice to see past members rejoin as they prepare to get their cars going again. Please fire up tons of pics

That was an impressive 1/4 time you managed back then, may I ask what spec was to achieve that pass?

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you're back again mate

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lowiepete View Post
    The implication being
    Well I'm glad you're enjoying it, especially after all that work

Are you saying you've never driven a fast one? Personally, when mine was standard, four years old from new in 1992, it seemed a comfortable nice car with a features upgrade from what I had, somewhat faster in a straight line, but it had terrible handling, one of the worst cars I'd driven, probably the worst, the combination of running gear that Renault supplied just didn't work, and it was too hard over larger bumps. Eventually, over time, changing all that for stuff that worked a lot better and changing the engine parts and gas flow to nearing double the standard power and torque gave me something to grin about from time to time.

Lloyd's 5 was even faster, it had the fastest 1/4 mile time of anyone who had driven their car to the pod, set the time, and driven back. 247BHP I think it made at the tracknroad.com roller.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Howdy

As memberships admin, when I saw you join last night I couldn't believe you didn't already have an account with this 2008 website and had to go and check the database.

This thread might be interesting regarding your desire to go racing: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...ed-season-2017
    Ian, it was great to see you are still involved when the admin message came up! Thanks for the link too I will have a read through and do some searches but may end up picking some brains about how to go about getting into to it. I wouldn't intend to take it, or myself, too seriously but the car needs to be used and i reckon the short sprint type racing is where it's best suited. Would still keep it road going as well though

Quote Originally Posted by tubbyG View Post
    Welcome back .

Its nice to see past members rejoin as they prepare to get their cars going again. Please fire up tons of pics

That was an impressive 1/4 time you managed back then, may I ask what spec was to achieve that pass?
    The spec was exactly this running something like 26-27psi from recollection

spec 1.jpg

What i would say though is that the car probably wasn't pushing the same sort of peak power as other making similar times back then as the terminal speed was lower by comparison. I suspect the smaller turbo played a role in that, but on the flip side i think smaller turbo that helped the 0-60 time as in reality that was what made a sub 12s time possible.
    Likes Matt Cole, tubbyG liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd's 5 was even faster, it had the fastest 1/4 mile time of anyone who had driven their car to the pod, set the time, and driven back. 247BHP I think it made at the tracknroad.com roller.
    Great memory Ian!

Quote Originally Posted by tubbyG View Post
    Welcome back .

I may well have posted some of these in the past, but on the basis that was likely 8+ years ago and you asked I've dug these out which basically depict what has happened since it cam off the road.

New Suspension

New brakes

More rust protection

Engine as it came out of the car

Bit of powdercoating and painting + LSD Gearbox

Some new parts inc. quickrack

Baffled sump and powdercoated subframe

Running new brake lines and tidying up the engine bay (Heater Matrix pipes used to fail slightly on the downpipe!

The inside was a bit of a mess, and added a half cage

Might notice the addition of an AP brake bias valve tucked next to the handbrake in this one

Underneath has been sandblasted to remove dust and be treated (if you've never seen a 5 on a forklift there it is!)

A couple of other new bit including rear brakes, calipers and handbrake cables etc

That is pretty much where the car sits today. It need a new boot (which i have ready to be painted), some paint / treatment on the back half underneath the car and the rear part of the brake system plumbing in.

Off topic i know, but in the meantime i've actually only owned two other cars as my daily's (albeit i don't drive daily ) Both are below but the Leon sold a year ago. As much as the XKR is a lovely car, i'm not a huge fan of the driving experience (basically feels like it could kill you at anytime) and just miss the R5

Likes James5 liked this post

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back to RTOC, does that mean that the white 5 is going to be completed now?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Welcome back to RTOC, does that mean that the white 5 is going to be completed now?
    Bigfoot - that's the aim! I know I'll never sell that car so really need to pull the finger out otherwise what's the point in not I'm sure being back here will give me some inspiration. Main trouble I have is that i can't store the car where I live and a move looks unlikely in the near future. All the time it's at arms length has made it far too easy for me not to crack on with!