International Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Tank door broke

Today the petrol station attendant was quicker than me. And strong enough to broke my tank door.
    Is it reparable? The plastic door's little hinge has broken. Could it be plastic welded or repared somehow?

International Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tank door broke

After some search I've found the correct name "petrol flap" and as I've read someone has managed to glue it.
    But I do not have good results with plastic glueing. I hope that it could be welded but it is not written what kind of plastic is it.
    Thanks Matt Cole thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think you would be better off replacing it, on something that will be opened over and over again, it will eventually break.

Gt turbo spares has them, maybe even in the correct colour.

http://www.gt-turbo-spares.co.uk/?page_id=26

Post Thanks / Like

Links on that site are rubbish, they never take you to the place you need to go.

It's on page 2 of 'body panels'.

I never understood how these petrol flaps are removed. It looks like it's from behind the quarter panel. Anyone care to describe how it's done?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep 2 8mm nuts hold the hinge on, and accessed from the back of the quarter panel.
    The bottom one is very easy to access, the Top one is a bit of a pain, difficult to see with all the under arch muck too.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Are these nuts accessible by simply taking the wheel off and ferreting around in the muck then? No plastics to remove or tank/neck getting the way or anything else?

International Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I'm after another one, but would really make sense to somehow fix the current one as this has the same color as the car.
    The one I'll buy should be painted for sure and of course the delivery to Hungary will be at least once more the prise...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Cool. Are these nuts accessible by simply taking the wheel off and ferreting around in the muck then? No plastics to remove or tank/neck getting the way or anything else?
    Yeah accessible just by removing the wheel. The filler neck does get in the way of the top nut, but still possible to remove with it in place. The main problem is the heads are hex heads and captive on the door side in a platic moulding. So if the nuts are seized, they will just spin in the moulding, so may need to drill the heads out form the cap side, then knock the bolts through. They are only M5 hex head bolts, so easy enough to replace.
    Likes Trevhib liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good intel