Post Thanks / Like

Brand new body panels!

I have been in discussion with a British company who stock and source classic car panels. I asked about reproduction of body panels NLA and they suggested that they can reproduce anything providing they have a panel to copy from. I suggested windscreen surrounds and rear quarter's.

I asked about minimum quantities and they have suggested a run of 50 would be worth while.

It's obviously good news and bad news but my question is, could this ever happen? Group buy? Maybe twin up with gtt spares and CGB?

Pie in the sky, but something needs to be done soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand new body panels!

I'm not sure a link up with them would work as it seems to be policy to sell parts here to cover costs and those guys, CGB especially want to maximise profit, with an obvious disparity in price. Maybe a linkup with one of the Euro clubs or crowd funding.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is who keeps the panels?

Post Thanks / Like

I think Mike might be interested in this. What part the club would play I don't know. Offer to put up a % of the capital to purchase the 50 units in return for an agreed % of profits?

The quality of these parts would need to be checked, which could prove to be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

It is something we (the club) need to at least explore and the members need to help. I guess the two items I've mentioned are the critical ones but that means 150 panels (50 each side and 50 windscreen panels). Would they ever sell? Maybe if enough serious interest 25 panels at a premium might be a better options?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    It is something we (the club) need to at least explore and the members need to help. I guess the two items I've mentioned are the critical ones but that means 150 panels (50 each side and 50 windscreen panels). Would they ever sell? Maybe if enough serious interest 25 panels at a premium might be a better options?
    The trade in parts is now Pan European, 50 doesn't seem that many.
    Likes Trevhib liked this post

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The batch could be divided up and, eg, 25 sent to each investor around Europe. Would a single panel make it through any postage? Didn't couriers refuse to deliver a single panel?

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of messages from the supplier:-

If theres panels available to be copied it can be done. I m working to get a lot of panels back into production for several clubs at the moment. If I can have pictures of the panels to be used to just get an idea of size and general shape and design. Then I can draw up some cost prices on them.

And....

Hi Matt. Just to say I v had some luck today while sourcing some panels come across a pretty rot free R5 being broken at a breakers yard. It looks to be a pretty good donor car for removing panels from for the reproduction progress.
    Likes Trevhib liked this post