Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

oil cooler thermostat sandwich plate help

Hello all,
    Car going in for small service next week along with oil change so was hoping for some help my sandwich plate i have at the minute that has no thermostat,

Can you just confirm i would be better of with a oil thermostat than without? for just road use please?

If i should change the sandwich plate witch one? and what fittings do i need? as i am unsure what has been used on the existing setup to the oil cooling kit.

Thanks all

Post Thanks / Like

Re: oil cooler thermostat sandwich plate help

If you are running an after-market oil cooler without a thermostat then it's not ideal, so yes it would be better if you were running OE, or a cooler/sandwich plate set-up that incorporated one.

There is a complete kit here for £120:
    http://www.cgbmotorsport.net/oil-coo...kit-1001-p.asp

If yours is a Mocal kit (quite likely), or maybe if the connections are the same as the Mocal, then maybe you can get just the sandwich plate to fit with the hoses/cooler you're already using but to know any of those things you'll have to contact CGB (or any other sandwich plate seller).

Edit: Mocal appear to use a 1/2 bsp male thread on the sandwich plate outlets.
    http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...erbraid-hose-2

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC the thermostatic plates require the engine mount bracket cut slightly for clearance

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks. For the help.
    I may look in to this and get it changed after service so i do not rush getting the wrong thing. will ask him to see what the connection type is.
    I mean is there any reason to change it like asap been running without for over a year runs really cool just takes a bit longer to warm up witch i wait anyway before pulling off.
    Starts first time also every day i have owned it.
    Just noticed this when I was looking at something else and also thought it run cool compared to my other i had also thought running cool was a good thing how ever

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Just noticed this when I was looking at something else and also thought it run cool compared to my other i had also thought running cool was a good thing how ever

Thanks again
    There is running cool and there is running too cool, for both water temp and oil temp. When you say it's running cooler than your last GTT, I'm guessing you're looking at the water temp gauge in the dash, which obviously wont tell you the temp of the oil...

Read this before going any further: http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...l-temperature/

The car will run best if it's allowed to get into the temperature range Renault intended. In respect to your oil temp, look at the OE oil cooler; a thin pipe down the side of the radiator. Now look at your oil radiator set-up. You're cooling your oil much more. Without an oil temp gauge or a thermostat in the sandwich plate, how do you know it's ever reaching the intended operating temperature? That's why I said it's not ideal to run without one.

Like you say, you might be fine. It has been to this point. It's up to you whether you're bothered enough to be certain.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    There is running cool and there is running too cool, for both water temp and oil temp. When you say it's running cooler than your last GTT, I'm guessing you're looking at the water temp gauge in the dash, which obviously wont tell you the temp of the oil...

Read this before going any further: http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...l-temperature/

The car will run best if it's allowed to get into the temperature range Renault intended. In respect to your oil temp, look at the OE oil cooler; a thin pipe down the side of the radiator. Now look at your oil radiator set-up. You're cooling your oil much more. Without an oil temp gauge or a thermostat in the sandwich plate, how do you know it's ever reaching the intended operating temperature? That's why I said it's not ideal to run without one.

Like you say, you might be fine. It has been to this point. It's up to you whether you're bothered enough to be certain.
    I am going to make certain will get a oil temp gauge and plumb and if running cold I will change it out for a thermostat sandwich plate version.
    This is if I look and find mine has indeed not got one. I am still unsure as it's hard to see will know more when oil filter is changed.
    Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea to get an oil temp gauge and see what's going on It could be ok and then you'll have killed two birds with one stone

Actually I'm not sure what temps the oil should be getting to. Anyone else know what the GTT's oil operating temperature range is?

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Anyone else know what the GTT's oil operating temperature range is?
    Something like 80-90c. On track you'll see more obviously. Before I had an external oil cooler I was seeing up to 120c on a hot summers day on track - not good! It's more like 100c now I think.