Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

clio 172 no spark ,can anyone help??

so spent the whole day on my old 172 cup. Beginning of this year I drove it down the yard. iv just not had time for it. so now I have some time and a few quid I thought id try get it back on its toes. so like I said I drove it there parked it up and haven't touched it till today.

so done the basics

filled with fuel ,changed the plugs etc

turned the key in hope of some coughing and spluttering but nothing....

starters engaging and iv got fuel upto the rail but no spark??
    anyone got any ideas??

im a little baffled as she ran and drove just fine before I locked it up and left it....

any help would be great

Post Thanks / Like

Re: clio 172 no spark ,can anyone help??

Try the tdc sensor located on the top of the gearbox. Other possibility could be connection to the coil pack or the coil itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Any immobiliser fitted? Edit: thinking about it I would go for that.

Post Thanks / Like

When you turn the key is the immobiliser light solid red or flashing? This is on the dash display, straight in front of you.
    Last edited by Hoolio; 28-12-2015 at 21:45.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Coil pack connections to the inlet plenium not rusted up check they are ok and they have good contact as they use the points to earth.

Also a thought if been stood for that long check the ECU connections are not corroded

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like immobiliser to me.

I had this with mine when the battery went flat, had me pulling my hair out!!

1. Turn key to position 2
    2. Disconnect battery for 3 mins
    3. Re-connect
    4. Take out key lock car
    5. unlock and start

Post Thanks / Like

Easier way than the above. Turn key to position 2, press unlock button whilst turning to position 1, then back again and it should take the immobiliser out. But you need to find out first if that is the problem.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks boys for all the replys!!
    the immobiliser was my first issue.so tried what had been written up first with no luck. so shot down to Renault to see an old pal who helped me sort out a new key . this sorted my immobiliser issue .

then when it did run,boy did it run rough!!!! so sorted out

-new oil filter
    -flushing oil
    -fully synthetic oil
    -new plugs
    -new leads
    -new bulbs throughout.
    -new air filter
    -fuel filter.

changed the above with no change in how it was running ....sounded like it was running on 3!!!
    so spent ages going through everything! took all the injectors out had them ultrasonically cleaned . refitted . checked coil pack bla bla

and the issue was actually the vvt solenoid ....

anyone had this issue before??

thanks for everyones replys

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it sorted out mate. Had a 172 Cup for 5 & half years, then a full fat 172 for nearly 2 years, got a 182 Trophy now.

Did have an issue with 172 Cup where drove home from work, parked up it was fine. Then went out to it the next morning and it wouldnt start, just kept turning over and wouldnt fire at all.

That day I hopped in the raider and took that to work and later my mate towed the Cup to his work and said that the TDC sensor had gone. They put a new one on and it was spot on again.

Was the oil in the Cup quite black/dirty? wouldnt really use flushing oil in F4R, just cheap 5W-40 and drop it after a couple of hundred mines if it was me.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    Glad you got it sorted out mate. Had a 172 Cup for 5 & half years, then a full fat 172 for nearly 2 years, got a 182 Trophy now.

Did have an issue with 172 Cup where drove home from work, parked up it was fine. Then went out to it the next morning and it wouldnt start, just kept turning over and wouldnt fire at all.

That day I hopped in the raider and took that to work and later my mate towed the Cup to his work and said that the TDC sensor had gone. They put a new one on and it was spot on again.

Was the oil in the Cup quite black/dirty? wouldnt really use flushing oil in F4R, just cheap 5W-40 and drop it after a couple of hundred mines if it was me.
    no the oil was perfect. the cup had done 200miles if that before being sat up for 2 years.it had basicly had a full service ,belts and dephaser etc so was gutted when it didn't start!! but all is well now and on the mend ready to hit snet on the 31st jan

iv had no issues with flushing oil . I only leave it running in the engine for 30-40mins then put the good stuff in never had issues. my pal works at Renault and advises me well