Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Priming turbo?

How do you guy's prime your turbo's? Do you remove the king lead and crank the engine? how long do you crank it over for?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Priming turbo?

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

hi yep taking the feed pipe off the turbo is the easiest way sit it in a marg tub and crank till the oil comes out refit feed good to go

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you suspect you have oil pressure issues I would leave the oil feed fitted and just remove the king lead and crank until the dash oil pressure gauge comes up. Then stop cranking, then crank again until the pressure gauge comes up once more. Then quickly re-fit the king lead and fire up.

I used to have an in-car switch wired into the over-boost sensor that doubled as an immobiliser and if the car hadn't been run for a couple of days, and in the winter time, I'd let the it crank for a while each time before firing.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Id remove fuel pump fuse rather than king lead myself. Stops flooding.

My engine builder mate says don't bother though, as if you start you bring oil pressure straight up, rather than cranking over and over with next to no oil pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Matt. Yep, another option. Although I can't say mine ever flooded.

I don't know what engines your mate worked on but not bringing pressure up in this way goes against the collective wisdom. Even if it's not essential, doing this on the C1J certainly can't hurt, especially given what we know has happened to members down the years when fitting new turbos.

On other cars I've heard top end metal-on-metal knock on unprimed engines for the first 2-3 seconds after a cold start. 2-3 seconds at turbo rpm at engine idle with no oil and it can be terminal.

Post Thanks / Like

take the oil feed pipe off and pour a little oil into the turbo oil inlet to prime it before starting, refit the feed pipe before starting obviously

Post Thanks / Like

That's something you do as part of the fitting of the turbo (before connecting the oil feed as the last step). I wouldn't advise doing that as a replacement for bringing the pressure up though. Do both.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank's guys ok i will be super anal fill the oil feed on the turbo a little before i bolt it all together, leave the return pipe off and crank with king lead off until oil comes out, reconnect oil return, crank again with king lead off, Then fire her up

Oh yeah i also removed my old bleed valve and have extended the actuator arm pretty much most of the way out ( will i even got any boost with it 95% out lol? just wanted to be safe , as it was set to 18 psi and i want to run 14 psi for now until i have all my other goodies installed!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

All done, back to 10 psi at the moment as the actuator was stupidly hard to get on couldn't find my pliers so had to do it by hand. Will most likely just leave it at 10 psi for now anyway until i sort the carb and get my front mount, FPR etc,

I'm not sure if its just me but the exhaust note seems to have changed, it seems to resonate much deeper, Is this in my head or can a larger turbo cause this effect?