Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Bodge amnesty.

Because I refuse to believe that anyone isn't guilty of having made a quick or amusing bodge on their renault at some point

The idea of this thread is to post details or pics of your worst or funniest bodges, safe in the knowledge that nobody will rip the p155 out of you. (Not much anyway )

I'll start.

No pics sadly but as a 17 year old who didn't know one end of a car from the other, when I'd screwed the bleed valve out all the way, the adjuster fell out. As you can imagine, the headgasket didn't last too long. I had the car fixed and to solve the bleed valve issue screwed a wheel bolt into it thinking it would work the same. Needless to say, within a fortnight it was having another headgasket fitted

Who's next to cleanse their soul?

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bodge amnesty.

On my old old 5 gt turbo, I put on a crappy oil filter that wasn't correct. You know, the type that are too old. It wasn't too long until the turbo and engine went pop from lack of oil pressure.

The engine is still in my garage waiting to be rebuilt....

Come on, who is next to confess???

Post Thanks / Like

When I got my car the dash lights didn't work.

I armed myself with a drill, a crimper and an ignition live... This was the birth of Disco Dash!

It was annoying as hell and lasted a week until I got fed up and sorted it out properly

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

That's amazing!!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That has to be even better than a torch stuffed in a broken headlight!

Post Thanks / Like

That is pure class Scratcher

I found a pic of what I assume was your footwell too:

Post Thanks / Like

Had a Peugeot 205 1l xe beast when I was 17.
    Decided it needed to be low, to make it look mean obviously
    My mate said "I'll sort that for ya"
    Jacked it up, set to it with the grinder..........ping! Bits of spring came flying out.
    "That should do it" dropped the jack and guess what.......couldn't get the jack out!

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

No shame in cut springs

Post Thanks / Like

no bodge but i once drove from stamford bridge near York back to blackburn via the A59 using only fourth gear as all the others had failed. This was in a volvo 480 turbo with the turbo not workiung, the bit between harrogate and clitheroe past blubber houses was hard

Post Thanks / Like

My accelerator cable once snapped on my 5 so I put a bit of string on the throttle under the bonnet and left the bonnet slightly open then fed the string through my drivers side window. Lol I pulled the string all the way back and it stuck on full gas for a while which my dad didn't enjoy as a passenger going into a 30 zone. I would never do anything like that again but had to be done to get home as it conked out on a bad fast corner and I already used my 4 AA callouts on previous Renault breakdown in the 1year I ever drove it. My car had never been restored so their wasn't many botches apart from poor wiring and someone removing the thermostat completely hence no hot air from the blowers.

My friends are the worst having wheels fly off Peugeots by running spacers without extended wheel studs and the wheels flying off or running on 2 out of 4 wheel nuts. I seen a wrong distributor cable tied onto an Mg midget the other week which explained why it was running like a heap.

Post Thanks / Like

Always sells on eBay bud I was surprised how many there are out there that just don't do the club thing or FB..

Post Thanks / Like

First car was a E reg seat Ibiza 1.2 (system porche lol)
    I put what I thought was a bottle of oil additive in the engine.
    Week later it blew up.
    The car was sat in a car park for months until I decided to go get my things out , seeing the empty bottle behind the seat i picked it up and it was some sort of sump cleaner you use befor an oil change.
    Never told anyone that

Post Thanks / Like

I never bodge my 5 just temporary repair.

When I first got it after an hour of a loud buzzing noise on the motorway and after calling the previous owner to ask him wtf I realise the rear washer button was pressed.
    I'd also left the handbrake up a bit and the rear disks were glowing, needed to buy new calipers lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junglist View Post
    I never bodge my 5 just temporary repair.

When I first got it after an hour of a loud buzzing noise on the motorway and after calling the previous owner to ask him wtf I realise the rear washer button was pressed.
    I'd also left the handbrake up a bit and the rear disks were glowing, needed to buy new calipers lol
    I had a similar incident to this
    I had a mini city e as my fist car. 50mph, 4 mates (yes 5 up in a mini), sniff sniff, what the hell is that burning??!!??
    Yeah the handbrake was fully on and had been for about 10 mins.
    Shows how good that handbrake was ay.
    In fact I remember having to learn how to heel/toe for hill starts and to keep the thing running on cold mornings! Those were the days ha ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Just before my first trip to Trac Mon Doris was taken off the road by a lady driver pulling out on me. So I went in the family spare car, an old 1.1L 205. I wanted to stiffen up the rear suspension and I glued these blocks of wood to the trailing arms.
    I drove there competed for 2 days and drove home, they stayed in place and did work, I wasn't the slowest car.

Post Thanks / Like

bloody hell you didn't use prick stick then

Post Thanks / Like

prick stick?

Maybe Pritt Stick

My first car was a Nova 1.0 in dark brown, 1994. The fan belt was terrible for slipping, resulting in that hideous squealing noise. Instead of adjusting the tension on the belt, for months I just kept using talcum powder to try dry off any dampness and improve the friction.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post

My first car was a Nova 1.0 in dark brown, 1994. The fan belt was terrible for slipping, resulting in that hideous squealing noise. Instead of adjusting the tension on the belt, for months I just kept using talcum powder to try dry off any dampness and improve the friction.
    WTF Trev?!

Well, my bodge (and not done by me - I've narrowed it down to 2 people that could have done it) Is that someone has welded one of the long botls that hold the axle on from inside the car. This is causing me a lot of trouble as I'm in the process of taking the axle off. I've no idea why they would have done it.

The angle grinder has been taken out.....

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Took off the side skirt off a Renault 5 and rather than cutting and welding a plate to fix the rust they pop riveted a new plate over it.

Great one I have seen as well, they were running the AEI vacuum through the fuel overflow pipe, was surprised the car was still driving