Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sills and doors rust treatment

Hi everyone,
    Here is a few pics of my sills after I took the body kit off and just wanted to know the best thing to do as regard to sorting them out would you cut out the whole sill to take a look at the inner sill although they feel solid on the outside. The rot is only where the front wheels are as far as I can see.
    This is the passengerside

And drivers side which is a bit worse than the passenger side

Also the inner doors have lifted slightly in a couple of areas about and inch a piece on each door but the rust isnt showing on the ouside of the door again is it best cut out or rub down and treat them?
    any help/advice would be great
    Cheers Chris

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sills and doors rust treatment

Hi mate,

Dont appear to be able to see the pictures. Worth checking inner sills whilst you are there as welding a new outter sill over the top could possibly just hide the issue until years later. Have a good look under the carpet at inside of inner sill, then whilst replacing outter sill/sections you can inspect the outside of the inner sill.

Best way ideally to treat rust is to cut it out, if that's abit OTT/savage then rub it down and treat with the likes of POR 15 and for hard to access places/cavities waxoil.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry The pics didnt attach, how do I attach them ?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

passenger side

Drivers side which as a hole at the front near the wheel

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't look too bad matey. Cut and patch the sills. I would throw some underseal in there too.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

You see the inner sill is also rotted the space at the bottom. That rot will have gone up into the pannel a bit.

Im just about to sort out my drivers inner sill which i thought was ok, and do the outer also.

Passenger side outer sill been patched but may just cut it off to make sure inner ok! No point doing half a job if you intend to keep the car.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine needs outer sills patched, at least one front jack point and some repairs/patches to inner sills. I'm gonna bite the bullet and replace the lot. I don't see the point of half arsing it now.
    I also need to repair front drivers side corner as it's rotting there.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and take the wings off. Mine looked ok, but the front of the sills/jack points was rotten when I had it exposed.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swinny View Post
    You see the inner sill is also rotted the space at the bottom. That rot will have gone up into the pannel a bit.

Im just about to sort out my drivers inner sill which i thought was ok, and do the outer also.

Passenger side outer sill been patched but may just cut it off to make sure inner ok! No point doing half a job if you intend to keep the car.
    Cheers Swinny, I am going to cut the outer sill to have a look inside as I just wont to know whats in there although they are solid from the inside.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_S View Post
    Mine needs outer sills patched, at least one front jack point and some repairs/patches to inner sills. I'm gonna bite the bullet and replace the lot. I don't see the point of half arsing it now.
    I also need to repair front drivers side corner as it's rotting there.
    With you on this one Matt, no point skipping corners just get it right once.
    Ive only had it 3 weeks, floor is solid, you can see from the pics how the sills are, bumper mounts are getting ready although it asn't gone up the rear quater.
    Jacking points are ready aswell so going to do it all at one go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chunk552 View Post
    Ive only had it 3 weeks, floor is solid, you can see from the pics how the sills are, bumper mounts are getting ready although it asn't gone up the rear quater.
    Doing mine at the minute so going all out full strip and everything new.. I'm not planning on ever selling it so wouldn't be right half measuring. That's what got me in the mess in the first place. Right first time and all that. Plus once you start looking you will be suprised what you find. Scared the hell out of me and I thought mine was one of the clean ones..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mate, I thought mine was solid.

These cars hide rust like it's a secret!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, any other places I should be looking for rot?
    I've checked the usual suspects and all seem ok I'm going to strip the underneath tomorrow which has under seal on it, I must admit I'm not looking forward to doing it but I need to know.
    Also does anyone know what the inner arches should be like mine are like a black coating not under seal with a sponge substance underneath it sort of a orange sand colour, just wondered if it's how they came from the factory? It's bare metal after the sponge substance, I thought about taking it off but no point if it's all good the arches inside the car have not rust on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, any other places I should be looking for rot?
    I've checked the usual suspects and all seem ok I'm going to strip the underneath tomorrow which has under seal on it, I must admit I'm not looking forward to doing it but I need to know.
    Also does anyone know what the inner arches should be like mine are like a black coating not under seal with a sponge substance underneath it sort of a orange sand colour, just wondered if it's how they came from the factory? It's bare metal after the sponge substance, I thought about taking it off but no point if it's all good the arches inside the car have not rust on them.
    If your on FB rtoc iv been putting up my pics of rott. Look everywhere and don't be afraid to chip of every bubble in the paint every blemish in the sealant aswell I'm bare metalling all mine and I just keep finding rust.

On mine both inner sills
    Both outers all though not bad but I don't do patching
    Inside the headlights under the swirl pot
    At the point the petrol pipes go through the rear chassis into the rear wheel well
    Both jacking points
    Both rear jacking points really bad I had to remove the rear beam and found many holes..

And there's other traps on others

These cars are like pringles for rust..

Fix and make new there old girls now.
    Last edited by Nottswoody; 17-07-2015 at 21:46.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

What Paul says ^^^^.

The rust on these cars is like fcuking Hydra!

"Cut off one head and two more shall appear!"

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Get the whole car on axle stands, remove body kit and poke everything with a screw driver!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_S View Post
    What Paul says ^^^^.

The rust on these cars is like fcuking Hydra!

"Cut off one head and two more shall appear!"
    LMAO Hydra
    Ok im going to have a good poke tomorrow
    Anyone know about the arches with the spongy stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

LMAO Hydra
    Ok im going to have a good poke tomorrow
    Anyone know about the arches with the spongy stuff?
    Don't be afraid bud it's already there so the only thing todo is find it grind it don't try to hide and get it cut out.. As I keep telling myself.. It will be nice when it's finished hopefully it better be