Post Thanks / Like

new turbo options.

so my t28r .64 rear and was running 26psi (if I remember correctly)let go today the thing just stopped boosting and then the car started to smoke. There are No other problems as far as I can tell oil pressure ok as the first thing I looked at was the gauge. and everthing else ok
    So now I need a new turbo what options have I got. As I've had this a few years now and with options like a vnt or twin scroll would like to know what I could fit. or what option other people have fitted and the results. The Car has efi fitted a adaptronic ecu and a 285 cam.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new turbo options.

Let me know what your doing with yours roy. That would be nice on my monaco are you coming to the karting?

Post Thanks / Like

coming to the karting was a laugh last year. the turbo has popped big time just stopped giving boost then smoke out the car. I have had quick look and there is a ton of play in the shaft and from the amount of smoke the seals have well and truly gone.

Post Thanks / Like

T28 roller bearing with a .49 turbine housing and port the exhaust manifold.

Post Thanks / Like

is the .49 better than a .64 housing i always assumed the bigger the better for more power is the t28r not a roller bearing turbo, could he just change the .64 bit to the .49 and get his exiting turbo rebuilt?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    T28 roller bearing with a .49 turbine housing and port the exhaust manifold.
    what do you mean by port the exhaust manifold.
    thanks roy.

b18ftmojo5. got the unit off tonight not to sure about a rebuild. there's been no shaving of metal parts. but there is about 3/4mm play in the shaft. front is dry but the back is dripping with oil. so would need to have it stripped first to see if it is worth being rebuilt as this unit had a few tweeks from what I was told when I got it. so might not be a straight forward.

Post Thanks / Like

You cannot rebuild gt roller bearing turbos only gernial bearings t3/t25 can be rebuilt you have to buy a new core for roller bearing the 64 housing will make more power top end but will really laggy on c1j the best option is 49 housing.
    Porting the exhaust manifold is the same as porting the inlet manifold or head you could also port the turbo exhaust housing aswell it all helps if your running mega boost

Post Thanks / Like

shame that never had a problem with this one before so was not sure on what can be done with it. regarding the .64 rear I never found this unit to laggy on mine was getting full boost by 4000rpm and it pulled like a train. as for the porting wont be a problem as a tubular manifold is going on was planning to fit this when I get a turbo. its only been sat here for 7 months and was already running a one piece downpipe so no work to be done there.