Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

starting for the first time in 13 years..!

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi Guy's,

I recently got hold of a gtt that has been sat in a cold damp barn since 2003

obviously the battery is flat, so when I try to jump the car the starter wont crank. So straight away I worry about the engine being seized, but I think its just a starter issue

I notice the lights dim when I try to crank it, so I guess that's a ok sign.

what should I test and rule out as I go to get the starter to turn over and hopefully fire the old girl into life?

looking forward to doing a full nut and bolt rebuild/restoration, but it'll be nice to hear it run before I start removing the body kit etc (uh ohhh) and start the exterior rather than worry why it's not running

cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: starting for the first time in 13 years..!

Have you tried to try turn the engine over by hand? - 19mm spanner on the crank pulley bolt (drivers side).

If the engine is solid, then remove spark plugs and fire in some penetrating fluid. It could be that the starter is stuck also, I would put it in 1st gear and rock the car back and forward - this may also free up the engine

I had a dodgy starter for ages, and I would have to do the above method occasionally - I would hear a "click" when I was succesful in unjamming the starter

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to try and free it up by hand this weekend, but I'm getting nothing from the starter. Not even a click....

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No click says the solenoid on the started is either not receiving electricity or is jammed.

Do you have a multimeter?

See if there is voltage between battery negative and the starter side of the connector behind the headlight. The large white wire feeds the starter solenoid which I think it draws about 30 Amps, so if the connector is corroded, the voltage after it will drop very low.

Alternatively, if the white wire spade connection onto the starter solenoid is corroded then the white wire might show 12Volts.

The current all comes though the ignition key barrel, so if that's corroded..... etc...

After years of starting problems, electrical was the problem with mine: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4724

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can get my hands on a multimeter

which side is the connector behind the headlight?

I guess I can also check the starter is getting power too?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you replaced the fuel in the tank with fresh stuff? Don't run it on 12yr old fuel.

Also, when you do get power, disconnect the king lead first and let it turn over until the oil pressure comes up. Don't start it after 12yrs without doing this first!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd put a drop of oil down each bore too.
    Ditch the fuel in the tank first and replace.
    Give the solenoid a whack to free off.
    If not, bump it.
    So e say crank it to get oil pressure up. Others say you do more damage cranking it overn over with piss poor oil pressure rather than just starting it and letting it fire up.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clarky_gtt View Post
    which side is the connector behind the headlight?
    Left.
    I guess I can also check the starter is getting power too?
    That is fed directly from the battery via the thick lead. Earths mainly via the engine earth strap.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers all

I'm going to attempt it this weekend. Armed with a multi meter, jump leads, new fuel and see if I can free it up or get life at the starter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_S View Post
    So e say crank it to get oil pressure up. Others say you do more damage cranking it overn over with piss poor oil pressure rather than just starting it and letting it fire up.
    I've never heard anyone say you could cause (more) damage by cranking the engine over to get the oil pressure up. Where have you heard this Matt?

Paul B who was an old school Renault mechanic and RTOC leg-end always advised cranking GTTs over first that had been stood for any length of time. After a partial engine rebuild he came over to mine and we specifically cranked the engine for a minute twice before letting it fire up.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I didn't get it going, I think the starter has had it. So going to replace it as a matter of cause and see if it'll crank

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I didn't get it going, I think the starter has had it. So going to replace it as a matter of cause and see if it'll crank
    Did the engine turn over using the 19mm socket on the end of the crank pulley? at least you can eliminate a seized engine this was?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I wound it over nice and easy by hand. So that's a relief

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    I've never heard anyone say you could cause (more) damage by cranking the engine over to get the oil pressure up. Where have you heard this Matt?

Paul B who was an old school Renault mechanic and RTOC leg-end always advised cranking GTTs over first that had been stood for any length of time. After a partial engine rebuild he came over to mine and we specifically cranked the engine for a minute twice before letting it fire up.
    Guy I know who knows a thing or two. High power Evos are his biggest trade.

Post Thanks / Like

He's the first that I've heard of ever say this Matt. Get the gen on it if you speak to him as it will be useful to understand where he is coming from and whether it's applicable to the C1J.