Post Thanks / Like

Salvage Engine or Rebuild with price of new rods?

Hello

I said I was going to stop my project until my girlfriend has our baby in September but I'm thinking of getting the engine built with money I have saved then I will only need to pay for bodywork for the project to be done.

I scored the inside of a liner somehow years ago and the engine began to knock so we stripped it down and measured all parts and tested them and the pistons/liners seem the only faulty part. My dad said to get new rods as well as a piston set as the ones that came our might be slightly damaged so for peace of mind new is better.

So what I'm wondering is do I stick a good 2nd hand engine and t25 set up on or buy a piston set off Mike @GT Spares? Also does he sell rods or where can I buy good quality/affordable rods?

I'm guessing it would cost 400ish for 2nd hand engine with turbo or 1000 if I built the engine with replacement turbo, gasket set, custom intercooler pipework, decent cam?

Engine in before paint sounds a better idea now as would be great knowing I could drive the car from the bodyshop to the MOT station next year

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Salvage Engine or Rebuild with price of new rods?

I would try and get as much done as you can now as come September finding the time/cash will not be easy. Are you getting the engine bay painted? If this is the case ideally the engine would be removed.

If you can get hold of a good second hand engine for a reasonable price thats been rebuilt with proof its been done that would be the way to go. In some cases though it can be better to stick the the 'devil you know' as you have more idea/history of the original engine and what needs to be done. Bit of a tough one to weigh up to be honest mate, just see what engines are up for sale take it from there.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not painting the bay I just want the exterior done and it running to enjoy it then I will replace doors, wings and paint Bay eventually maybe next time the engine goes

My dad suggested the volvo swap for reliability but I'd prefer to keep the original engine. Your rite it is a tough one Ive been stung with car bits before and don't want to buy an old smoker but also don't want to build my engine if I can get away with it. The t2 I've took off has slight damage on the blades and was running full boost so I don't want to put it back on as it won't last and might wreck the lot.

If I can find a cheap t25 or equivalent off a trusted member and a fair price for some rods I should be able to get it up and running for a good price. My friend has a t2/t25 hybrid and it pulled like mad but was weeping oil at the oil feed which put me off plus he drove it like a maniac again on full boost.

Post Thanks / Like

The C1J is perfectly reliable if looked after. Ive lost count of the miles i did on mine. I even ran something like 16psi on the stock t2 turbo (80k miles old) for about 30k miles before that finally gave up the ghost.

As Mr Raider says, id be getting as much as you can done before baby arrives as once thats here you`ll have no spare time at all. My little one arrived 18 months back and now im lucky if I get 1 hour a week spare to do anything. Ive not actually touched my 5 since September as ive just been flat out looking after house/cleaning/baby etc...

Post Thanks / Like

I might get the t2 rebuilt then do a turbo upgrade in time then that way I will have a back up turbo if the new one ever goes wrong. I can't seem to find any rods that are affordable so might have to shell out and get it all done as you say. My nights will be spent at work and days doing all the jobs you have said