Post Thanks / Like

Bare shell engine conversion project suggestions build RTOC help.

So, regardless if you've been following my build thread or not, I'm in a situation at this moment in time.

In a nut shell, Ive basically got a shell that's solid but missing pretty much everything else.

I don't want to be spending out aload of money on unnecessary stuff etc as trying to buy a new home and a roof over my head is more important at the minute.

Anyway, I refused to give up as that's just not in my nature.

Now, I will get this car built and bloody drive it even if it kills me!

I'm thinking, cheapest possible way to get it back in one piece and drivable, I don't care if it looks like a shed or thrown together at this point, I just know summer on its way and I wanna drive the bloody thing.

So, options are, look at another possible cheap engine conversion, ie mk4 golf set up? Or maybe TT Quattro set up? Buy them pretty cheap high mileage? I have no worries about cutting my 5 up to make them work and welding additional supporting requirements.

Or throwing in another C1J and efi it with the usual T25, 2.5 inch exhaust, 285 cam with front mount?

Better still, anyone who got anything they fancy giving away for free to help build this thing back up, ie C1J engine, g/box, brakes etc etc.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome!!!

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bare shell engine conversion project subjection build RTOC help.

Goobie, your Cheapest option and quickest would be back to a C1J. Unfortunately if I had spares you could have had them but I have nothing C1J related anymore. I know Mick has a few bits about and possibly a spare engine I think but it might need a rebuild

Post Thanks / Like

goobs we are all here to help sir ive got a spare block but its been outside covered over for ages and might be fubar it only needed a set if rings when i removed it

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking C1J, ideally one that runs......

Mick, is it just bare block??? Or head etc?

Post Thanks / Like

have a good head too all was sweet except piston 4 comp was slighty lower, thats in shed so should be ok, block hmmm not sure lol but its going over the lemon soon anywayz so make ya mind up goobster

Post Thanks / Like

ive got a gtx engine 1.7 carb lol you got probably get it in and going in 20mins
    if your desprete to get on the rd lol

Post Thanks / Like

Don't bin it yet then Mick, might be worth saving, shouldn't be much drama to sort some rings.

What else is there? Any thing that could be saved with a little bit of effort? Shame Mike sold his set up, that guy got a bargain.

B18ftMOJO5, ideally want turbo set up, but thanks. That said, is the carb on that the same as a 5T? I'm guessing not.

Post Thanks / Like

think ive got spare carb and loads of other bits which you can bung me for

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I think it would end up costing you more than buying a complete car would to get the shell back on the road. Thats probably why its a shell atm, someone probably broke it up, sold all the bits off and the shell was left. You could buy loads of 2nd hand bits or get free bits but they may then need refurbing, and its always the little bits which add up. Plus all the bits you can no longer buy etc...

Its a shame, but true unfortunately. Im in the middle of getting my car back on the road and already for the cost of the bits ive bought I could have easily gone out & got a sorted working one. In my case though, my car has sentimental value so my "man maths" says its okay.

Good luck though with the project.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitstew View Post
    To be honest I think it would end up costing you more than buying a complete car would to get the shell back on the road. Thats probably why its a shell atm, someone probably broke it up, sold all the bits off and the shell was left. You could buy loads of 2nd hand bits or get free bits but they may then need refurbing, and its always the little bits which add up. Plus all the bits you can no longer buy etc...

Its a shame, but true unfortunately. Im in the middle of getting my car back on the road and already for the cost of the bits ive bought I could have easily gone out & got a sorted working one. In my case though, my car has sentimental value so my "man maths" says its okay.

Good luck though with the project.
    Erm, I did have a full car. I gave away everything I didn't need.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=32904

Sound good Mick, this all should be possible with and few bits and bobs people may have laying around.

Post Thanks / Like

No the carb is defo different, its a twin carb set up. I wonder how that would go on a c1j with correct jetting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goobie View Post
    Erm, I did have a full car. I gave away everything I didn't need.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=32904
    Ah right, i remember reading that thread before. I didnt see the last update and assumed this was a different shell you were on about! Still, as I said, may well be cheaper to buy a complete car with dodgy shell and swap everything over!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Goobie, Get a list up of what you need. I'm sure between the collective we can help you out with loads of bits to get you going.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Goobie, Get a list up of what you need. I'm sure between the collective we can help you out with loads of bits to get you going.
    Thanks. Had a long chatt yesterday with Mick, he got a decent head, dizzy and a turbo I can borrow to. Bottom end ok but will want gaskets, pistons and liners.

I need a gearbox, fly and clutch, alternator, engine loom, relays, fuel pump, front discs, front & rear cailpers. Then I think it's just the odd few randoms here and there?

I need a good sort what's in the garage, as long as I got the main bits, I can work out and go from there. Shouldn't take much time to piece that together and have it all running etc.

Il put a proper list up once I've raided Mick's shed!

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goobie View Post
    Thanks. Had a long chatt yesterday with Mick, he got a decent head, dizzy and a turbo I can borrow to. Bottom end ok but will want gaskets, pistons and liners.

I need a gearbox, fly and clutch, alternator, engine loom, relays, fuel pump, front discs, front & rear cailpers. Then I think it's just the odd few randoms here and there?

I need a good sort what's in the garage, as long as I got the main bits, I can work out and go from there. Shouldn't take much time to piece that together and have it all running etc.

Il put a proper list up once I've raided Mick's shed!
    I have a GTT front seat (passenger side but would work in either) it's Mick's / Mike's here he would prob let you borrow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    I have a GTT front seat (passenger side but would work in either) it's Mick's / Mike's here he would prob let you borrow
    Normal seats won't fit, roll cage in the way plus I cut out the old rails.

Post Thanks / Like

Just remembered , I still got these crappy seats! One of them will do for the minute.

Plus, still got my bucket seat side mounts and harness, RESULT!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Should be able to help with the front and rear calipers. Let me check at the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Should be able to help with the front and rear calipers. Let me check at the weekend.
    Good man.