Post Thanks / Like

Does this look like a good 1st welder to learn with?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281488279967...967%26_rdc%3D1

As above, I want to learn to weld, does this look any good to start with?

If not, can you recommend a budget one.

Plus what else will I need to get?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does this look like a good 1st welder to learn with?

That doesnt look too bad although ive not read any reviews on that brand. The one I got was from machine mart, its the:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...rbo-mig-welder

I went for the gas one as they are supposed to be better. The gas shields the weld as it forms. Besides the wire and gas id go for a decent auto switching mask. I got mine from toolstation.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p556...Ckt4ClzZABEiQA

That way when you weld it frees up both hands, which you really need when welding! Id also get a decent pair of leather gauntlets. That way you can hold what your welding a bit and avoid splatter all over your hands. Again, i got mine from machine mart.

Other than that, you`ll need an angle grinder if you havent got one to smarten up the welds, and to cut out the rusty bits of metal. Also some welding clamps - like mole grips with different ends on. They are cheap enough.

Depending on what you are welding you`ll need different tips & wire. For my 5 gt turbo bodywork I use 0.6mm. You`ll find tips can get clogged up and the wire may stick to them etc so you`ll get through a few over a period of time. They are cheap enough though.

Decent pair of wire cutters is handy too for cutting the welding wire. And a wire brush disc for your grinder/drill is good for cleaning back to decent metal.

Id recommend buying a sheet of new metal and watch a few you tube videos on how to weld on that new bit of metal. Its all about the speed of the wire feed and the power setting. The welder manual usually recommends what to use depending upon the thickness of the metal & wire you are using and they are not far wrong. The reason I say practise on new metal is that it will "catch on" easily and give you a smooth weld. If you start off on rusty old metal or your bodywork then it can be a nightmare and really put you off. You`ll end up messing about with settings etc when its not them at all.

Think thats about it. Welding is pretty straight forward to be honest. Oh. Make sure you have a fire extingusher handy too!

One reason I went for the clarke one is that loads of spares are easily avaliable etc if I need anything. Machine Mart have VAT free days so its worth waiting until then to get one as you`ll save a good wedge.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at the BOC welders, they aren't too badly priced and brilliant machines.

Also don't bother with the little disposable bottles, get yourself one of the hobbyweld bottles from your local air products supplier. It works out cheaper in the long run, and you can get the proper a gas shield stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Argon/co2 mix if you can get it. The machine mart welders ain't bad. Also get the biggest you can afford on a 13amp supply unless you have 16A/32A available. Also be mindful not to use an extension cable. The pcb's can get too hot and your machine packs up.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the 151te turbo, can't go wrong with this one.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...rbo-mig-welder

Post Thanks / Like

Well I bought it.
    For the money it seemed good.

All I gotta do now is learn to use it lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Your first welds won't come out any better even if you had a £500-1000 welder.

So buying a gas mig of around 130amp use either co2 or argon/co2 mix for panel work, mix is much nicer to weld with but costs more.

If your doing a lot of welding try to avoid disposable bottles you'll chomp through a good amount of them and in the end you could of brought a albee welding gas bottle for the same or less £'s