Post Thanks / Like

R5GTT Power Steering Options

Hello Folks,

With the engine about to come out of my resto project, it's time to get serious about
    whether or not to fit it with power steering. I did a search here, but any potentially
    useful threads no longer have any meaningful pictures attached to them. Hence
    this new thread.

I imagine that an electric device may be beneficial, though I don't want to be chopping
    the original dash board about. So, is that a viable option?

Talking to Karl, my Renault mechanic, he's suggested looking at a Vauxhall Nova option.
    Has anyone gone that route successfully?

Regards,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Re: R5GTT Power Steering Options

Couple of options Steve, r5 auto I think the Monaco had power steering. You could use the rack as a direct fit with an electric/hydraulic pump. A twingo electric column might fit grafted to the gt tack or use a clio 16v rack and a an electric/hydraulic pump from a pug 106. The 16v rack isn't a straight fit and mods to the column will be required.

Matt

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt seems to have covered most options here.

If you look at Jeff Ninebar's restoration thread it shows some photos of the Clio mk2 elec PAS conversion.

I've also seen Vauxhall Corsa B electric PAS fitted to a 5.

A few benefits of the elec pas are the ability to vary the level of assistance using an adjuster kit and you can keep your existing manual steering rack.
    Downsides could be the level of work required in grafting it on to the car and the existing steering column, also the use of the standard indicator stalk looks like it could be an issue.

The hydraulic elec PAS conversion can be done using a elec/hydraulic pump from a number of cars, the saxo or 106 pump is popular but not the only option.
    You can use a power steering rack from a 5, clio Mk1 and I also believe the clio mk2 rack fits with a spacer on one of the rack to subframe mounts. The megane mk1 rack should also fit but double check before you purchase.
    The steering column may need to be extended at the lower end to reach the drive on the pinion. Also the later Renault cars all moved over to the square drive, some of the earlier 5's use a splined circular drive on the pinion. This shouldn't be an issue though as square drive steering columns are available for the 5.
    The PAS steering rack may foul on the rear engine mount so some custom pipework may be required or a change of engine mount and then there's the wiring of the pump and the hydraulic pipes you would also need to make.

Here are some photos of various elec/hydraulic conversions that have been done.
    Last edited by Lewis; 25-03-2015 at 16:32.

Post Thanks / Like

The clio column mod I did does give the car nice light steering when stopped and at low speed, I've only tested it up to about 40mph so far. The adjustable knob works and when on full assistance when stopped you can turn the wheel very easily. When driving it needs turning down a bit as its too light but thats what its there for!

Welding the brackets, cutting up the dash and customising the column switches is a complete pain in the arse though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't know that I'd want to chop the dashboard up
    so much Jeff, but kudos to you for doing it. For some reason, I'm excluded from
    viewing the pictures in your link Lewis

I think we might go with a Mk1 Meg rack and a Citroen pump... I'm still in some
    discussions with Karl who'll be doing the conversion...

Regards,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

great advice up there for you. assume your still with the c1j set up?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I'm not sure why it won't let you view the photos.
    Try navigating to the directory through the files page, the path is: Home / Technical Files / Lewis / Power Steering Conversions

Another bit of info if you fancy a more OE fitment that Renault done themselves during production on the Japanese cars.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo ted View Post
    5 GTX/Monaco 1.7 parts will not fit a c1j the pump and alternator brackets are all different. The steering rack will fit unless you got the Volvo lump it would work, you would need the early 1.4 Monaco power steering setup has a twin crankshaft pully for two belts with a small power pump that fits under the alternator this would fit the gt turbo and look OE

Post Thanks / Like

Lewis,

I'm very taken with this photo

Are you able to identify the rack?

Regards,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Mark one clio rack! Same as I got for my R5.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got complete PAS system including steering rack and bottom of steering column etc from 1989 Monaco 1.4 auto from the guy who I sold car to and was converted to f4r.

Will it fit straight to my ph1 gtt C1J?

Seán

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Folks,

I believe someone mentioned the rack from a Megane Mk1 Coupé.
    So, I'm assuming this one presently on eBay will fit...

So, compressor and pipe source suggestions please.

Regards,
    Steve

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that the mk1 megane rack fits the 5 subframe. However I have never test fitted one myself. Perhaps ask for the measurements of the mounting points?

Post Thanks / Like

Well guys, I've bought it. Hopefully, we can marry it up with an
    electric pump from a Saxo. Karl and Jason have good contacts for
    the supply of hydraulic pipes, so it's just a case of how we connect
    to the R5 steering column...

Regards,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Lowiepete
    I was discussing this very subject with Bob from CGB Motorsport on Sunday. A Corsa B top section of sterring column is a good fit with a little fetling depending on the nuances of your particular 5. Its electric PS fits behind the dash unseen and is also variable.

Speak to him 01952 618419

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Russell, can you tell me more about the Corsa B PAS? I'm looking to do this conversion asap.