Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sump sealing

any advice on resealing sump on 5...had engine rebuilt, leaking near pulley, ran engine in, emteyed oil,dropped sum.cleaned everything down,only 1 seal fitted. I purchased a pair if uprated seals, used blue hylamare stuff, and 2 new seals (smeared in blue stuff), I put the pulley side seal (like a round lip) to the inside of sump, put a bead of blue stuff to both surfaces, finger tightened bolts. left it 20 mins and lightly tighted, left it few days filled with oil, all fine..worked. no leaks. ran 20 mins, still fine, drove for 15min pissin out next to flywheel, nipped bolts up a little (some loose?) left alone. day later drippin like a culinder! whats best methords.. got 2 more new seals,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: sump sealing

I Wouldn't put any sealant on seals let the seals do the job just put small bit of sealent on the two half moon shoulders where they meet the sump and block.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks mate, do I have the timming side seal right way?

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the oil seals wear a groove in the crank. The method is to fit a new seal slightly further out so it's sealing edge is not in that groove.

Do Renault not sell Thixo now? Similar to silicone sealer, but perhaps more resistant to oil, etc.

Do you have adequate crankcase ventilation? Or too much blow past under higher boost needing more than standard ventilation? This might push oil out from the crank seals or other small gaps.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Iv got standard breather set up apart from catch tank with k&n filter on top.this is over clutch as the pipe from rocker cover goes to it. As for boostin.iv not give it any stick yet . Is it worth puttin a small filter on top of sump breather?

Post Thanks / Like

The standard system sucks when off boost, so maintains a negative crankcase pressure. The oil is spun out in the swirl pot and returned to the sump.

When on boost, the host exiting at the 'telephone hose' is sucked by the turbo and so maintains a negative crankcase pressure.

A catch tank shouldn't be needed unless you using 20psi, or so, of boost, when the normal system seems to be inadequate and also a lot of oil is sucked into the turbo and come out of the dump valve.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

There was no return in the telephone hose..i was advised to use a catch tank...would you put a mini filter on top of sump breather?...sure engine had 1 before rebuild.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't. Some people did. It's something you can experiment with.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks mate,