Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sunroof replacement

does anyone know if the sunroof from an early clio or any other renault model fits the 5
    im fancying an electric tilt slide from a mk1/2 clio if the dimensions are the same

Post Thanks / Like

Re: sunroof replacement

O no please don't put a sun roof in that black 5

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

it already has a sunroof in it, looks to be factory fit but leaky with a coroded frame
    just wanna replace it with something a bit better preferably a model that i can still get new seals for and fits the standard hole
    Last edited by Phoenix Autosport; 18-01-2015 at 10:26.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.executiveautocare.co.uk/sunroofs.htm

What about someone like these guys? might be able to supply a new one the correct size/fit.

Won't be as cheap as doing it yourself mind

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

had a look at a couple of companies who fit them but they just seemed very gung-ho about if it dont fit we can cut it out and fit a larger one.
    really dont want to chop anything so its all reversable if needed, the clio mk1/2 electric ones are webasto H300's and externally are almost the same as a the standard 5 item, looks like its going to be a case of getting one and seeing if it fits

Post Thanks / Like

what perked my interest was the sunroof on my raider is an electric tilt and slide one.

I have no idea if it was a factory thing or an addition later on in it's life.

leaks like a sieve

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    what perked my interest was the sunroof on my raider is an electric tilt and slide one.

leaks like a sieve
    v-interesting not seen one fitted before as standard, where is the control for opening it ?
    any chance of some pics to see if i can identify what model it is

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine from bristol sunroofs. Just give them the dimensions of existing sunroof and they sent out a brand new replacement. Not cheap but its great quality. Dont expect friendly customer service though lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Autosport View Post
    v-interesting not seen one fitted before as standard, where is the control for opening it ?
    any chance of some pics to see if i can identify what model it is
    Only just spotted your reply. I will take a few pictures when I'm next doing some work. Hopefully soon as i now have everything I need to put my engine back in and I'm planning on doing it asap.

The switch to open it is in a small center box at the front of the sunroof. It also has a manual override so you can turn the mechanism with and Allen key.

The glass tilts upwards at first and then slides back. However the roof panel around the sunroof isn't in the best of shape. It's slightly rippled. I'm guessing this is either due to the weight of the sunroof or perhaps it was retro fitted by a previous owner.

Post Thanks / Like

A member on here made me a fibreglass mould of my damaged sunroof glass (broken brackets) and I now have a fibreglass one which should look awesome when finished. Best thing other than a new roof skin!

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah cool, so you going to seal this in where sunroof was and no leaks? Be interested to see this, tempted to bin my sunroof too just need to fit something in its place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post

None of the 5GTT`s left the factory with a sunroof fitted. However, back in the 80`s sunroofs were mega popular so a lot of dealers gave buyers the option of having an aftermarket sunroof fitted - hence so many different types of sunroofs fitted to them.

Sunroof companies used to advertise in magazines a lot back then too, and would happily cut a hole in the roof of any car you liked and fit a sunroof. So some owners opt`d for that option if they were really desperate for a sunroof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    Ah cool, so you going to seal this in where sunroof was and no leaks? Be interested to see this, tempted to bin my sunroof too just need to fit something in its place.
    I was debating whether to junk mine and just bond a bit of black tinted plexi glass in instead but not sure of the best way to do this, as if i remove the sunroof surround etc you are left with just a butchered hole in the metal roof. So anything bonded to it will have to be stuck on top of the hole (rather than flush) and may look a bit crap. Unless I can stick something under the hole, then bond the plexi to that - or just use a generic window screen seal and use that to hold the plexi in same as you`d do if you cut a hole in a side of a van to turn it into a mini bus.

Im also not sure how much strength the sunroof frame adds to the roof....