Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

2000rpm to 3000rpm problem

hello all
    So I just got a new GT5 sold the old one as it needed to much time on body work but really nice car. Any way new one is mint I must say and drives nice.
    I have noticed today however that when I hit just over 2000rpm to about 3000rpm and let it sit there the car decides to vibrate jolt shake and make abit more of a popping noise.
    Perfect at idle and if I was to boost past that dead zone or just before.
    So I changed spark plugs HT leads dizzy rota arm today seems a lot better but still there.
    I have read and read on here about my problem and seems a lot of people have this.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...esitation+part

Tomo I am going to change fuel filter and get some cleaner mix to add the the fuel to see if that can clean carb ect before I take it off, Can you recommend any to use?

Do any of you have any other ideas on what to took for?
    Thanks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2000rpm to 3000rpm problem

I had the same issue turned out to be a carb problem I changed every thing and still no joy until I swaped carb and all was fine

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Still having problems, I don't feel that its major but annoying!
    I have changed the fuel filter just put in some slick 50 fuel treatment just to try if it even works....
    New ht leads rota arm cap spark plugs. This seem to make it better but still there.
    Picked up some spark plug lead testers
    Lights up great on Idle soon as you go too 2500 rpm 1/2 start to brake up miss fire. Past 3000rpm it seems fine.
    Noticed today on a drive when I boost to 4000rpm and lift off fuel it pops and farts as it's rolling and slowing down.
    Ordered a new tdc today what else....... Need help

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

possible air leak ? have you searched the boards

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KEV 5 GT View Post
    possible air leak ? have you searched the boards
    I have had a pull/look what would be the best way the check. I have been reading for hours on her nothing other than what I have done has poped up other than the tdc that I have ordered. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar problem. At part throttle between 2500 and 3k it slightly misses, at full throttle it's non existent.

My friends on FB have told be to check the plug gaps and condition of the plugs to see if they are dirty or sooted up. If it isn't the plugs it can only be the leads (which are new) or the carb when it changes stage.

My car has wasted spark coil pack on mappable ecu so it isn't dizzy related as it's been removed.

Post Thanks / Like

PS

It's rich on the AFR because the temperature was freezing and the choke was on full.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post

I have a similar problem. At part throttle between 2500 and 3k it slightly misses, at full throttle it's non existent.

My friends on FB have told be to check the plug gaps and condition of the plugs to see if they are dirty or sooted up. If it isn't the plugs it can only be the leads (which are new) or the carb when it changes stage.

My car has wasted spark coil pack on mappable ecu so it isn't dizzy related as it's been removed.
    From your video it seems the same but mine seems a lot more the car nocks bangs when I hold it at 2500 rpm and now pops at 4000rpm when letting off gas. Everything is new ignition wise plug gaps are fine unless there is other Measurements I should use from the Hanse manual...?
    All that I have not changed is TDC even the coil pack is new.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm. What are your AFRs like?

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Has the carb actually been rebuilt? If not I would try a rebuild kit and see how it goes - give it a good clean. Other than that I would check the AEI relay/wiring or even bypass it.

Post Thanks / Like

mine was completely rebuilt and in decent nick, I definitely think its the plugs or leads. Im hopefully getting some new leads this week so ill clean the plugs up with carb cleaner and wire brush

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

rebuild carb and check aei contacts and relay

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So I have fixed this misfire!!Problem Brand new Dizzy!
    After I changed out the all the rota arm new dizzy HT leads and TDC Pain to get too by the way!! My problem was still there after a few hours of looking I noticed in the new dizzy cap a few rainbow patterns so it was arcking. Swooped this out with the old dizzy problem gone. Guess it was my HT leads first time then new dizzy 2nd time.
    All I can say to anyone with the same problem is New dose not mean its any better than old so try again.
    Thanks all

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2000rpm to 3000rpm problem again! please help more info found on problem.

Hello all,
    I am really stating to get puzzled by this car and this problem,
    I thought I had fixed it with new HT leads and dizzy rota sparkplugs and TDC sensor.
    Its back or it never left and just made it feel abit better.
    Now I really need you help!
    So after days and hours reading and reading on here I have not really found a fix but a lot of people with same kind of problem.
    From reading I am thinking the dizzy drive itself is out and needs strob or timing sorting out as its just missing the mark.
    Dizzy drive is out by a tooth.
    But GET THIS!
    I unplugged the AEI Vacuum pipe problem gone end off! and drives perfect! revs seem to go up higher and seems less power but at least I have found what it might be!
    so can anyone advise me on what to look for now. The hole AEI unit is brand new no blocked or lose/split pipes. what dose this pipe really do and why dose it fix my problem of making the car judder and shake miss ect when holding the revs around 2000 to 3000 very hard to drive!
    Thanks all
    PS please help

Post Thanks / Like

Check the dizzy drive for sure. I assume it's been apart recently? Have you plugged the pipe you've taken off the AEI? You say the AEI is all new - where from? What model stamp is on it?

I'm now thinking duff coil.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Alex
    Really need your help on this!
    The pipe I take off the aei I just leave it off still on the carb other end but car runs perfect without it on the aei I just lose power abit smells abit In car and I get a louder spinning noise lol.
    Dizzy drive not been taken off or strobing done yet as I would like to ask people what they think first. aei pack has re 209 bendix
    Thanks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Could this be timing? Or carb fuel related mixture setting Ect coil looks new also not done by myself however.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

So has the carb actually been stripped down, cleaned and rebuilt? It sounds more like a misfire you're describing to me. You need to be careful running with that pipe disconnected as you'll have an air leak and will be running lean.

Do you have a spare AEI you can try? Might be worth trying a rebuild kit from the shop also.

Did you you check the wires and relay near the AEI?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    So has the carb actually been stripped down, cleaned and rebuilt? It sounds more like a misfire you're describing to me. You need to be careful running with that pipe disconnected as you'll have an air leak and will be running lean.

Do you have a spare AEI you can try? Might be worth trying a rebuild kit from the shop also.

Did you you check the wires and relay near the AEI?
    Hello Alex
    I have not done a rebuild on the carb yet as I been using them spark plug testers and from them it shows as a missfire at that rev range only car starts to shake hold back Ect. So thought it was ignition side of things. But from removing that aei pipe that fixes it I don't no what to do no. Not been running with the car like this just a quick test run. I don't have another aei I am afraid. I can only say I have also a strange problem with it on idel sometime even when hot when I pull up rev get lower and lower and cuts out. I think I have fixed this by just opening the idel swrew less than half a turn. Can the carb course a misfire even when it's pulling like a train. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Try a second hand AEI and see how that goes. It'll be cutting out because of the air leak.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

When it just a out the aei pipe is back on so no air leaks. Anyone got a AEI for sale or rent :-/ going to strob it and see what timing is like any tips or just follow manual..? thanks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If I find it too be out can I ajust the dizzy drive to set it as I just read on here You can not change the timing..?
    This thread relates to my problem completely and was fixed by moving the dizzy drive so it can be done....?
    Anyone??
    Thanks
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...ght=Long+story

Post Thanks / Like

The timing marks are on the bell housing of the gearbox but they're not the most accurate. Your best bet to check timing is to follow the guide in the Haynes.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok will try this first Friday and let you know but the dizzy drive can be adjusted if needed..?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You can take the dizzy off and pull the drive gear out yo re-set it if needs be yes.

Post Thanks / Like

i have got exactly the same issue !!! need it sorted so badly !!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello all!
    Finally sorted!!!! Thank you every one and Alex for the help. My dizzy drive was well out!!
    Seems to be a lot of people with this problem. I am thinking how ever that this was set like this not by accident.....? So it had a advance on the timing as now the car runs so so sweet but has lost abit of I dunno I WANT TO RACE feel lol. Power still there maybe a little less but just more feel and noise loss very hard to explain. But very happy

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you've got it sorted mate - should make the car run a whole lot better and more efficient The dizzy drive gear is a bit of a faff I think!

Post Thanks / Like

When my dizzy drive was a tooth out (previous owner's fault), it mullered the engine. The spark was having to jump back onto the dizzy cap contacts, which made it weak.