Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice on a new project please

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hello for any of you who don't know i'm Dazzle of the old forum i've sold my tungy 5 and now i'm after another project which i want to get more involved in! basicly i want to strip a car down or just buy a shell, and i would like to perform an engine conversion! i just want peeps advice on what engine to go for i was thinking volvo turbo or possibly vag and maybe mounting it in the arse end any help or views would be appreciated. how much hard work is it lining up the rear struts if i go rear end? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on a new project please

I think every conversion has been done now (vag 1.8t, Volvo turbo, clio 16v, 172), really depends how much money you have and what sort of tuning you want to do to it (some of these engines are hard to get parts for).

I've personally gone for the Volvo conversion, main reason is i want to se what it can do and i like the 8v engine for some reason

If i was to do a rear engine conversion i'd use the front of a 5 and fit that into the back, that way turrets are already made and mounts are on the legs already to fit the subframe.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking more towards the volvo as its already turbo'd i'm going to be doing the majority of the work myself over the next year or so! how easily available are the engines above and how much am i likely to pay? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

someone should go balls out and fit a straight 6 in the back or even in the front you know it can be done if it can be done on other small cars

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

my other car already has a straight 6 but thats not a 5 lol!

Post Thanks / Like

ooooh ooooh an rx7 engine in a 5

sorry,im getting all excited

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daz7811 View Post

I was thinking more towards the volvo as its already turbo'd i'm going to be doing the majority of the work myself over the next year or so! how easily available are the engines above and how much am i likely to pay? Thanks
    I picked my Volvo up for £250 and took all the bits i neede off of it then weighted the rest of the car in for £80.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

on the volvo engine did you go stand alone or std ecu? where can i get parts etc for them and where would you look for an engine apart from ebay? are they easily tuneable? sorry if ll this has been asked before! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

on the volvo engine did you go stand alone or std ecu? where can i get parts etc for them and where would you look for an engine apart from ebay? are they easily tuneable? sorry if ll this has been asked before! Thanks
    I'm

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the conversion guide in the boards so i now just need to find a place to get the engine! Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going standalone on my one, the spec of mine is on my profile at the moment, im nearly there with it. Best place i find them was on ebay but i was lucky to get mine of a member on here.
    It is tuneable, alot of mine bits had been made one-off but thats purely because i'm trying to see what is possible to get out of the engine. There are some parts avaliable off other cars which will give the volvo a nice power figure, fairly easily to obtain. Parts are ok to get, some parts are alittle hard like pistons but i've never known someone to damage one yet so not a massive need for them, i'm still using the original 130k pistons in mine but with new rings.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds good theres a car on ebay at the mo 160,000 miles though will have to keep my eyes peeled! really want something to get my teeth into!

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds good theres a car on ebay at the mo 160,000 miles though will have to keep my eyes peeled! really want something to get my teeth into!
    Really want to get your teeth into

Raider shell and you will definately have a lot to bite all at once, FOC to you if you want to collect

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Really want to get your teeth into

Raider shell and you will definately have a lot to bite all at once, FOC to you if you want to collect
    Tell me more

Post Thanks / Like

What can I say really. Its a rolling shell, in primer, needs new rear quarters, started removing one side, rest of body work in good shape, no rot around windscreen which is good and no sunroof which is a bonus. No interior or engine. Ill upload pictures of car on my profile so you can get a better idea of it.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks i'll defo have a think about it

Post Thanks / Like

All the ones uploaded now. Depends on how much of a project your after really. At least when you do all the work you know its going to be solid. one reason why I started work on it. Then just couldn't turn down this new one. Got to sort out pictures of that. Nothing quite like trying to get raiders back to how they should be

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

wow that looks like a lot of work ha ha! i don't mind replacing a couple of panels but i think thats too far gone for me thanks very much for the offer though

Post Thanks / Like

So dont want that much of a bite then

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ha ha not really i don't mind doing a bit of bodywork but i'm no expert your 16v looks nice though

Post Thanks / Like

ha ha not really i don't mind doing a bit of bodywork but i'm no expert your 16v looks nice though
    Thanx, should really upload the finished car, well finished except for a map which gets it running properly. Keep changing the style of the car, cant make up mind.

Nor am I an expert on body work, it was going to be a first time attempt at it all, you got to learn from somewhere and whats not better than trying on a car which is FOC, well apart from the collecting part of it though which might be a slight prob there.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i don't know how i'd get it but i'm sure i could sort something out! whats it like underneath? load some pics of your 16v looks very nice

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty solid all the way through inner sills are good, well ill double check still before I say for definate, been a couple of months in the garage. He did like the primer on the car though, is rather scarey lol. Its all solid at front of car apart from a small patch at front of sill on drivers side, just needs a plate welding over, my black 5 was gone there as well. And the small back plate at rear of car about 2inch square but its not structual really as its where the spare wheel bolts to, but its on the NS of the car can just see in pic. rear wings take up all the rest of the rust when replaced. stupid bodykit which held a lot of water in there

Just uploading pics at the moment

Post Thanks / Like

There you go

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=414

Will take pics of current state of the car which looks millions times better since returning it back to standard outside

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    There you go

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=414

Will take pics of current state of the car which looks millions times better since returning it back to standard outside

looking good Billy Ray
    That 16v looks mighty fine...

Post Thanks / Like

The rear quarters aren't that bad really, put the arches back on and nobody would ever know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scratcher View Post
    The rear quarters aren't that bad really, put the arches back on and nobody would ever know
    The previous owner did do that. and with the hole there he just filled it up was fun finding it all and removing that kit. think it must have had about a tonne of filler on the car.