Post Thanks / Like

running probs?

Wanted to go for a little run yesterday in the renault, unfortunately the car had different ideas. From start up it ran like a bag of nails, coughed, spluttered, misfired.not sure why because its really the first time since owning the car its had any running issues, it all seems a bit out of the blue..
    Ask a silly question but could it be anything to do with cold weather,? Fuel/ air mixture?.etc.. I know its vague, any thoughts appreciated..

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: running probs?

Before this, when did you last use the car mate?

Post Thanks / Like

I did take a run out in it last weekend on the sunday morning. This was its first run for around a month and to be honest it had trouble starting and ticking over then. I put the starting issues down to it not being run for a while.But when I had used it previously to the cold snap it had been running fine with no problems( lol well not many) .just hoped it could be simple problem. ?

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Was it stalling or just misfiring?

Post Thanks / Like

Mainly misfiring. But it would also not tick over.it was a struggle to keep it running to be honest, I adjusted the idle screw a bit to up the revs which helped but it wasnt happy.whilst moving it would keep running although i could hear it missing,but was stalling when I pulled up anywhere. I didnt go far because i didnt want to get towed home.
    I think it runs a little rich, plugs are always very black when you pull them out,but im no mechanic so always been loathed to fiddle about with it whilst it was working..

Post Thanks / Like

check dist cap for condensation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michael tierney View Post
    check dist cap for condensation
    I did think that.i had a look , no condensation I could see, gave it all a quick clean up on the connections and I thought it had sorted it. But still misfired whilst driving.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If it wont tickover/idle take idle jet out on drivers side of carb large brass screw & blow it out. Careful not to lose 'O' ring. If its misfiring then would remove and check all spark plugs, clean up with wire brush & check gaps & re-fit. Also check HT leads. Have you got standard intercooler & airfilter? Carbs dont always help starting on cold damp days if car not used daily.