Post Thanks / Like

This a good enough setup?

just wondering what kind of cooling setup you guys are running. my engine has piper fast road cams and a full t25.

cgb have these on ebay-
    RENAULT 5 GT TURBO NEW 50MM ALLOY RADIATOR + FAN + OIL COOLER KIT FAN + SWITCH
    advert number - 400651923967

would this paired up with the double capacity intercooler be a safe enough setup? will be going for some subtle black silicone hoses too

thanks for any help

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This a good enough setup?

I use an external 13 row oil cooler and the Renault Extra diesel radiator. Works really well, even on track on a hot summers day.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the same pack from CGB earlier in the year. All looks good quality items. Only thing is that the oil cooler sandwich plate isnt a thermostat switching one, so the oil will permanently be going around the oil cooler.

There are also 2 types of connectors on the low temp thermostate switch so depending upon what your car is currently running then you may have to hack the wiring up a bit. One uses normal spade type, other has a plug type on it.

The slimline high output fan seems okay to me, again, has generic connectors on it, so i just cut the plug of the OEM fan and joined onto it so I could plug it into the original loom. However, some people have said that they felt the OEM fan was better.

It all fits nicely in place of the original radiator. Just watch the oil cooler lines if you have them near the alternator as they can short it out. I have mine going over to the passengers side and around the side of the radiator on that side.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have an OE setup (radiator/fan/switch/oil cooler lines), that is in good working order, then I don't think you need to do anything other than change the intercooler.

Also, having an external oil cooler is not needed for a road car and if you fit one without a thermostatic sandwich plate then you end up running the car with oil that rarely gets up to the temperature the car was designed to work properly with.

If you do want that CGB kit for whatever reason though, as the others attest, it's pretty decent.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info guys thanks.
    Cars going through a full restoration so everything's all shiny and new, thats why i was guna go for that kit, (and obviously thought the car would run a lot better) but if you's think the OE setup is good enough then il just give them a clean up.
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cr23g View Post
    Good info guys thanks.
    Cars going through a full restoration so everything's all shiny and new, thats why i was guna go for that kit, (and obviously thought the car would run a lot better) but if you's think the OE setup is good enough then il just give them a clean up.
    Thanks again.
    You can always get the OE rad re-cored if its no longer keeping the car cool, I have done that in the past and its not expensive. Keeps it looking OE and saves you the hassle of fitting a seperate oil cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cr23g View Post
    Good info guys thanks.
    Thanks again.
    The OE setup, when in good condition, is perfect for what you need from a mechanical point of view.

If it's for a resto and you want everything to look great (and you have the money), maybe see if there's a way of getting the kit but with a thermostatic sandwich plate? I don't really know how those things work or what temp setting it needs to be though.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Worth finding a good oe second hand radiator as getting rarer and upgrading the intercooler.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    If it's for a resto and you want everything to look great (and you have the money), maybe see if there's a way of getting the kit but with a thermostatic sandwich plate? I don't really know how those things work or what temp setting it needs to be though.
    Its worth noting that if you buy the separate mocal sandwich plate with the thermostat in it, then it wont fit this cgb kit as the connectors are different on the oil cooler lines - as ive just found out. doh. So I need to get some adapters.

The thermostat switches in the mocal ones are all set to automatically open at 80 degrees. There is another argument about whether its good or bad that an oil cooler full of cold oil suddenly gets pumped around the engine when the thermostat switch opens.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info

About the cold oil in the cooler when using a thermostatic sandwich plate. What's the capacity of the lines and cooler? 250ml, maybe less? Perhaps that's not sufficient to cause any concern. It's a new one on me anyway. Surely we'd have heard about it over the years as this kind of set-up is used on all sorts of motors?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    About the cold oil in the cooler when using a thermostatic sandwich plate. What's the capacity of the lines and cooler? 250ml, maybe less? Perhaps that's not sufficient to cause any concern. It's a new one on me anyway. Surely we'd have heard about it over the years as this kind of set-up is used on all sorts of motors?
    Thats exactly what I thought. The amount of cars using oil coolers and thermo sandwich plates and ive not heard of anyone having any issues. I guess some people over analyse everything!

Post Thanks / Like

You can never be too careful

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of this theory but have never come across or heard of anyone thats had an issue with having a thermostat in place (I run one). I'd rather have the stat keeping the oil at the correct temp than constantly overcooling the oil, even if it does add a couple of pints of cold oil into the system once it's open.