Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Auto campus to manual F7p

Looks great.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers chaps!!

Yeah its a right sleeper, still not drove it tho.

My clutch cable is to long!!!

does anyone know if its due to the soft pedal conversion and will i need a shorter cable?

Im gonna attempt to shorten the cable with a nut and bolt tomorrow hopefully it will be ok. final jobs are bleeding the cooling system and to re arange the gear selector.

Had to get towed back felt nice to drive. Made up with the car, it feels solid and sounds a treat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Well Monday was a treat, managed to get the car on the road for a quick spin!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0PgGaPQtDY

Need to give the cooling system a good bleed, started overheat slightly when I got back.
    It feels like a dream to drive new suspension is a treat and the powerless steering is spot on!!
    I thought the exhaust was gonna spoil it but it goes well with that induction noise!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well done pal she sounds great. see you on the rd soon my mot next monday.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally received a reply from the dvla, they now want a letter from a mechanic to show that its safe to drive MOT is on the horizon just need a fresh set a tryes.

Completed all of the small jobs now,

Re routing fuel lines to a safer run not next to the exhaust.
    setting up the gear linkage had a little trouble with selecting 5th gear but after a long adjusting session all the gear a working fine.
    Raising the exhaust, it was pritty much scraping on the floor!!
    Changing the thermostat and replacing the water pump.
    Wrapped my fogs in a yellow tint.

Unfortunately no decent photos as my phone has a fit when I open the camera, doesn't focus HTC crap. Need to get it repaired!

Came across this nice image for the cooling system to helped me a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the car raised today by the previous ower must of took him half an hour to do!! Apsolute lengend. Looking a lot more purposefull now, yellow tint looks miles better than the clear to. MOT, insurance renewal then a trip to wales over the evo triangle.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done pal glad your on the road with her now. Who raised your rear beam up? Sean? i may need him to do mine aswell

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WZA View Post
    Got the car raised today by the previous ower must of took him half an hour to do!! Apsolute lengend. Looking a lot more purposefull now, yellow tint looks miles better than the clear to. MOT, insurance renewal then a trip to wales over the evo triangle.
    Happy to be of help mate, good to see my old Monaco with engine conversion 👍

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sean Im sorting her out this week, got a rocker gasket to do, exhaust leak and then the tracking, so should be with you next weekend or the one after.

i need to bring you that power steering pump if your still after it also.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B18ftMOJO5 View Post
    Thanks Sean Im sorting her out this week, got a rocker gasket to do, exhaust leak and then the tracking, so should be with you next weekend or the one after.

i need to bring you that power steering pump if your still after it also.
    Any time mate, let me know soon 👌👍

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B18ftMOJO5 View Post
    Well done pal glad your on the road with her now. Who raised your rear beam up? Sean? i may need him to do mine aswell
    To much arch rub on the rear, the sump must of been 20mm from the floor at the front to, coilovers are ideal. sits a lot better now bit, higher at the rear than the front.
    Hopefully be MOT at the start of august not to long now!!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Auto campus to manual F7p

Car is now fully MOTed got the garage to write me a letter stating the changes, just waiting for the DVLA to get back to me with my new V5.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done

What happened to the MOT being in early Aug?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Well done

What happened to the MOT being in early Aug?!
    Had a few issues with booking and then passing the MOT one of my rear drum brakes wasn't working and then had a nightmare with the front flexi brake hoses being the wrong length then getting sent the wrong ones. haha

All is well now tho haha

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear

Post Thanks / Like

My new V5 finally arrived, only took 6 weeks!! Cars all road legal, just reached the first 800 miles. Service day tomorrow oil change as its not been done since the previous owner and a look over to make sure nothings rattled loose. Also got a replacement monaco fuel cap thanks to sean car looks complete now

Post Thanks / Like

Love this conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic.

I love the Monaco colours.

Post Thanks / Like

So the high idle needs to be solved, ive read a couple of the threads and im gonna try and wire up the speed sensor.

First job I replaced the lamba sensor ended up stripping the threads off the sensor and had no choice but to strip it down and clear the threads from the manifold. Luckily its only took a few bolts to strip haha.

Noticed that the near side drive shaft has been spraying out grease to, its all over the starter motor, sump and manifold. Need to get a zip tie on it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well its been a interesting week, my heavy duty cable from cgb decided to snap and now I have a coolant leak from my perished hoses!! Got on the phone to renault as I was informed that the OE is the only way. Picked it up today and fitted it, works a treat!!! Lot better than the old one!!

Just ordered a full set a Samco silicone hoses in solar orange camo, bit of a treat as I worked so hard last month!!
    Last edited by WZA; 13-04-2016 at 22:22.

Post Thanks / Like

Sooo were finally back on the road!!

Had a few issues but were all back up and running!!
    After installing the new clutch cable my radiator fan decides to cut in to my rad causing it to blow, made a bracket so the fan is now clear of the rad.
    The earth O ring had snapped of the alternator, so it wasn't holding a charge.
    I tried Installing some camber bolts and they didn't work, Ive gone for clio 16v shafts and the wet side is actually 5mm larger than the gt turbo one so when i try to add camber it doesn't sit right and makes funny noises, I think ill look into getting some new gt shafts in the future.
    Then the gearbox engine mount decides to go to!!

Past month has just been up and down fixing it and finding the issues but all is back up and running again now!!

Still not got round to connecting the speed control but I have received my Samco hoses!! Got them all installed except one, I need to get the oil cooler in order to connect the last hose.
    Dont wanna be blanking it off, I think the oil cooler will be a great help so Ive added that to my future parts list!!

Drove it to work today, it runs a treat finally......

Post Thanks / Like

Great work, I love this thread. Not sure about the orange-camo Samco hoses though

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Mate!!

I couldn't resist spending the extra bit of money for something a bit different!
    Likes Trevhib liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice drive out yesterday, hoses have made the care run a lot better runs far cooler, and can hold the pressure. Learnt how to drive the car so the idle stays low. Really nees to upgrade the tyres, just got cheap ones to get it running, in need of xoilovers to second hand avos didint last long!

Post Thanks / Like

Well its almost a year of driving, not been bad at all!

Had a few nice trips out to wales, done a total of 2000 miles, minimal issues.

Cv joints went so i ended up getting some new drive shafts. Then the rocker cover gasket went! What a joy of a job!

I used some cleaning solution for the lifters prior to the rocker cover gasket going replaced the oil with some castrol gtx and new filter. It got quite tappy too (most of the time driving). The solutuon did cure it and it only taps when its cold now, good old f7p.

Finally got my hands on some new gaz coilovers, poly top mount bushes and new strut bearings. Hopefully get round to fitting them on the weekend. Weathers starting to turn now, cover is coming out!!

Next big alteration is to move the rad away from the block, very tight fit at the minute!!
    Likes tubbyG liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love this car. Good update

The things that would set this off for me are (if I may): an improvement to the wheels (whether that's a respray and centre caps or a change up to a different set), a grille refurb (a spray of the existing one to finish that lower section, or maybe a GTT variant), and perhaps offer up a GTT boot spoiler to see how it looks? The spoilers will stay on with decent double sided sticky pads so if you get tired of it you can remove it again later.

Like the aerobie btw

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers mate

The one reason I haven't bought tires, is due to the wheel type.
    Can decide what wheels I want, Williams wheels with 50 profile tyres or keep it sleeper with a set of standard gt turbo wheels on 60s. Comfort reasons for the 15s (im presuming there a lot smoother on the pot holes).

what do you reckon?

Im looking out for a gt turbo grille, need the air flow. My grille has been through the wars my bonnet flipped cracking one head light, destroying the grille in the process.
    Need to get a fresh Oe one, struggling to find one on ebay there all after market. not a fan!

One of my friends has been telling me the spoiler, there only cheap. I do like the standard look, but may be tempted to get one.

Top mounts are on and ready to fit!
    Likes Fordy, Trevhib liked this post
    Dislikes Fordy disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I'd probably go with 15's. Either a refurb of the existing in a dark-ish silver with centre caps, or Williams.
    Likes WZA liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: F7P to F7R track car

The F7P lasted 17 months, it was a good stretch and I learnt a lot whilst working on the car when there was issues and I did enjoy driving it. The engine was very tappy on cold starts and would sometimes stay tappy after a drive out. The rocker cover gasket had blown, Idle control valve issues, cooling issues, earth issues. It did start to get annoyed as I done the conversion for reliability, It wasn't proving well at this point but had to keep going as this was now a full time hobby.

One morning I got stuck in traffic and the engine over heated due to the header tank pipe popping off. Once cool and filled back up with coolant the car barley ran, when it did start it ran very lumpy. Was it finally time to get rid of the tappy engine for something a little more faster and hopefully better sounding. I got a friend to help me test the pressure in the cylinders and 1 and 2 wouldn't hold any pressure at all. I didn't enjoy the idea of getting the head skimmed and rebuilt so I just went on the look out for a engine.

My main future plan was to turn it into a road worthy track car. I had already collected some of the parts, but at this point I was just more in need of an engine and gear box as I couldn't drive the car anymore.
    A couple of month passed, I managed to source a Williams F7R engine and gearbox, down pipe and manifold For a few hundred pounds. There was no history with the engine so I just bought it hoping for the best outcome. It would turn over easy and the belt had been done just needed a clean up.

In the time running up to starting the conversion I managed to pick up a few more parts and track day musts. I got a safety devices roll cage, Sparco Rev bucket seats, Sparco harnesses, reusable power gaskets, Nissens radiator and a Spal fan, low temp thermostat and new sensor. I wasn't going to let this new engine overheat!!

Other things with the car that were troubling me was the fact the CJ1 gearbox mount wouldn't withstand the torque from the F7P as I was replacing the standard rubber mounts at a rapid rate and I hadn't even been on track yet.
    so I upgraded to vibra Technics engine mounts.

The main objective was just to get the new engine installed Only trouble was the weather holding me back now, I just needed a clear weekend to start the conversion....

Name:  20170625_223300.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  112.6 KB
    Name:  20170909_095511.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  122.6 KB
    Name:  20170821_170918.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  109.3 KB
    Last edited by WZA; 30-05-2018 at 23:20.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of days before the conversion I removed the original Monaco seats from the car and got one of the bucket seats installed I had to go out for a test run with a harness
    Name:  20170909_095102.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  104.6 KB

Finally It was engine swap day I got a nice clear day and wasn't busy for a change.
    Managed to get the engine in, gearbox oil poured in and back on its wheels In no time at all. I changed the oil, got the engine wired up, coolant pipes fixed, rad, fuel lines, coolant in, air box ect ect and then got some charge in the battery.
    It started after a good few turn overs, slightly ticky too begin with but smoothed out and sounds like a smooth engine. The only main issue I had with the engine swap was the exhaust, the flange on the down pipe didn't fit the existing decat so I had to get it looked at. I got it booked in and had a new custom centre pipe with silencer made up. I also got the guy to put an extra hanger on for more support and job done.

Name:  20170826_115612.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  155.3 KB

Name:  20170826_122935.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  140.4 KB

Name:  20170826_151059.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  135.1 KB

Name:  20170827_172013.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  133.0 KB

The car now felt completely different I was shocked by the difference in the f7r power in comparison to the f7p, Exhaust sounds good too get the odd pop when the system has some heat. I did find there was one significant change with the car.......
    everything was now shakes like a bag of spanners due the uprated engine mounts, I love it, feels like a solid car.

I picked up a few more goodies including some wheels, tyres and a full oe campus body kit painted black, quite happy with the outcome but still more work is needed.

Name:  20171009_164336.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  164.7 KB
    Likes Matt Cole liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Any update on this?