Post Thanks / Like

some help with knocking.... !?

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

hi guys,
    i've been on the french scene for years but just got myself a raider. really happy with it apart from one thing.... dont know to much about 5's but i know they shouldn't knock.... can't really pinpoint it but it's from the engine and is sort of metalic in sound and increases in frequency through the revs. i've had the sump off and re tourqed the big end caps etc down there but it's still happening. im going to also take the rocker off and check valve clearence etc. it's internal but not sure what it could be, any input would be much appreciated. cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: some help with knocking.... !?

does it knock when 1st started ? does it knock under load ? have you checked the main bearing shells for wear ? are any of the push rods bent ?? what did the oil look like when u removed the sump was it metalicy ?loads of basic things to check as many posabiltys of what it could be to me it sounds internals i do apologise about the spelling

Post Thanks / Like

When did it start knocking mate, was is after a drive or has it always done it? Might help to pin point what is knocking.

It could be various things mate, big end or main bearings, worn crank, worn piston or liner, bent con-rod, bent push rod, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mr bean aka pete View Post
    does it knock when 1st started ? does it knock under load ? have you checked the main bearing shells for wear ? are any of the push rods bent ?? what did the oil look like when u removed the sump was it metalicy ?loads of basic things to check as many posabiltys of what it could be to me it sounds internals i do apologise about the spelling

does it from startup after about 2k revs and under load. had sump off and retourqued big end boltage. oil was quite dark but no real shards, was kind of silver tinted though thinking about it... just bugging me as to what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have checked the big ends while sump off? if you had a worn shell a re torque wouldnt do anything. And if its not BE prob be seized piston or top..