Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good or bad buy on eBay?

* * * HPI – This vehicle shows as an insurance loss [c] in 1999 * * *

RENAULT 5 GT TURBO

Do you want a chance to own a true classic with 190BHP@19PSi that cannot only be driven everyday but is reliable? - This really is a WOLF IN SHEEP’S CLOTHING!
    I purchased this car completely standard in 2006 it is a J-reg so one of the last to be made & since then I have spent over £10K on it getting the vehicle to run big power whilst ensuring that it is safe to do so.
    This vehicle has never been abused and has only been worked on by the very best in the trade whilst in my possession.
    This 5 comes with MOT/TAX and a folder full of receipts with one receipt from KTEC for £2300 and one from BB-performance for £3700 alone.
    Please Note: This has been my pride & joy for many years. I am only testing the waters at the moment and do not have to sell this car but will do so for the right price.
    Mileage: 97k - REBUILD done at approximately 92k [All gauges clocks working as supposed to]
    I will now describe the car as best as I can in the sections below, if you are genuinely interested in the car after reading the following and you have further questions you wish to ask then please do so, BUT PLEASE DO NOT WASTE MY TIME!

ENGINE
    · BB performance Yellow spec rebuild (2006 @ £3700) including the following:
    v De-stressed & chemically cleaned to remove carbon and then acid dipped to remove corrosion deposits from water-ways

v All Headbolt and Main bolt threads re-cut and cleaned
    v BBPT Set of 4 Forged low compression pistons
    v BBPT Set of 4 Forged steel con-rods
    v BBPT Set of 4 Liners coated externally with anti corrosion inhibitor
    v BBPT Knifedged & balanced crankshaft
    v BBPT Lightened & balanced flywheel
    v Full bottom end/clutch plate balanced
    v BBPT High spec camshaft & refurbished cam followers
    v BBPT Vernier camshaft pulley
    v BBPT Oil-pump refurbished
    v BBPT Bottom end gasket/seal kit
    v Crankshaft main bearings
    v Crankshaft big-end bearings
    v Crankshaft thrust washers
    v Timing chain & tensioner
    v New dipstick fitted
    v New sump / timing cover bolts
    v Cylinder head chemically cleaned to remove carbon deposits, pressure tested, & then gas flowed to stage 4
    v BBPT High lift valve springs
    v BBPT Lightweight valve spring caps
    v 1.9mm Full uprated head gasket
    v Set of 8 valve stem seals
    v New exhaust manifold studs/nuts
    v Rocker cover painted black
    v Complete water pump & assembly
    · BBPT Original gearbox reconditioned
    · BBPT Uprated Clutch, Clutch Cable, & Soft Pedal Conversion
    · BBBT new uprated radiator with low temp fan switch
    · KTEC KTR-230 Power System Hybrid Turbo fitted, modified with slightly large exhaust housing to shorten turbo lag time, upgraded actuator, braided oil feed
    · KTEC Uprated group A Carb
    · KTEC Spark Plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm, & ignition leads
    · KTEC Double Capacity Intercooler
    · KTEC Group A dump valve
    · KTEC KTR Power System Induction Kit
    · Samco hoses & braided turbo feed
    · KTEC Uprated Fuel Pump & Fuel Filter
    · The boost is set at 9PSi (Min) up to 19PSi (Max) threw the use of the in car boost controller (KTEC)

SUSPENSION & BRAKES
    · Lowered all round with Spax springs on the front and torsion bar adjusted on the rear to match [55mm]
    · New Strut top bearings and bushes
    · New Brake Master Cylinder (BBPT)
    · Brake fluid drained and replaced with new dot 4 – (2007)

EXTERIOR
    · Renault Glacier White
    · Door locks removed for additional security
    · Boot de-badged & rear wiper/washer removed
    · Original 5GT alloys with good tyres all round
    · KTR full S/Steel Big Bore performance exhaust system - big bore turbo elbow also fitted – - LOOKS & SOUNDS AWESOME!
    INTERIOR
    · Adjustable Konig bucket seats – To suit taller drivers, brackets will need modification to suit shorter drivers
    · Rear seats re-trimmed to match
    · Clean red carpet
    · BBPT Short-Shift gear stick – (This really is the best kit available for the 5GT-now discontinued!)
    · KTEC in-car boost kit
    · Viper Cat A thatcham approved TWO-WAY alarm system – (your key fob will alert you if your alarm is activated)

Further Modifications carried out June/July 2011
    · 4-1 Tubular Stainless Steal Exhaust Manifold
    · Uprated Inlet Manifold
    · New High-Output Starter Motor
    · New BENDIX Brake SERVO + Master Cylinder
    · New rear Brake Callipers
    · Rear EBC drilled/grooved brake discs with Greenstuff pads
    · New RENAULT Hand-Brake cables

This car has been built to go fast but at the same time it has been built to last. The engine has undergone serious modifications but the exterior has been kept as it was supposed to be with a few discreet modifications.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good or bad buy on eBay?

Hi welcome to the club,

Car has got a nice spec if those are still in there, seems a bit strange to spend all that money on the engine and then have mix match of pipes, and looks a bit grotty. Especially that its only supposed to have done 5k miles since the rebuild. Strange that they put no bad points in the ad, no drivers door card? Those two pictures of underneath are pointless. What is the sills like (inner / outer) around the windscreen, bumper mounting points etc.

Also depends on what you want to do with the car, eg return back to original interior wise or body work wise, that will soon add up in price.

Then we have the Cat C insurance write off. That will put a lot of people off, but depends on damage, it could be just damage to a bumper, but seeming that he hasn't putting any notes to it, I am guessing it was before 2006 which the cat C was done, which could be significant damage to classed as that.

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey, those seats are quite something.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thanks for the comments and the welcome

Have asked some further questions and got the below response? What do you think? Sorry for the questions just after some advice so I don't end up buying a bag of nails!!

- how come you are selling the car?
    It is hard work to maintain a Renault 5 and I just fancy an easier life now.

- is the door card missing from one of the doors? Looks like it in one of the pictures
    Drivers door card is in the boot, was taken of as needed to oil the electric window mechanism which now does work but is slow as gets very little use. Door card was left of since as in a very poor condition and have been trying to source a replacement. No luck as yet can refit.

- what are the inner and outer sills like?
    Sills are ok from last MOT however both from jacking points will need work in the future

- is there rust or bubbling around the windscreen or any other windows or the bumper mounting points?
    There is rust on the tailgate mainly the inner side around the window rubber and lower edge.

- how much tax and mot does the car have left?
    There is Tax will have to check until when - MOT is due end of October can supply with a years MOT at the buyers cost if need be as I am confident that it will pass without any problems.

Thanks again for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

MOT at buyers cost? What is he saying, win the auction, pay for the car plus the cost of an MOT, he will then get it MOT'd and cover any costs if there are repairs to be made??

East Midlands Area Rep Kingscott's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    MOT at buyers cost? What is he saying, win the auction, pay for the car plus the cost of an MOT, he will then get it MOT'd and cover any costs if there are repairs to be made??
    I wouldn't buy it on the grounds that current owner is obviously a bit of a nobber.

Post Thanks / Like

This car could of had the previous engine removed and it's quite difficult to tell what internal bits have been done. Are there any recent rolling road print outs with fueling set up done too. The car has most likely been resprayed at some time as it doesn't have the side decals wonder why it is not mentioned. You would be best to view before you buy and have a look at the buying guide on here. There are some things that you would need to look at like sills and jacking points etc etc He said it's reliable then he has also said it's hard work maintaining a 5? Well if it's reliable why is it hard work maintaining it?

If it has got the engine stated in it and the car is tidy it might be worth it but check insurance before buying as I'm sure cat c will be more to insure and they won't pay out so much if it is damaged or stolen.

Just 1 more thing he has spent a lot on this car and says you can use it everyday yet in the last 8 year's it has covered around about 5000 miles. Even mine has done more than that and it's been off the road for 5 of the last 8 years I would check all the mots if it was me too as it seems very low.

Post Thanks / Like

this car is it from southall west london

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice chaps! Iv asked the guy 3 times where are you so I can plan out the trip but never tells me 😕 in London somewhere turbo ted, do you know anything about it?

Guess I'll keep looking for more 5😬!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others, this looks like it is a real 'avoid' candidate.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Would it be cheaper to advertise and sell the car here on RTOC than pay the eBay fees?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Would it be cheaper to advertise and sell the car here on RTOC than pay the eBay fees?
    Possibly, but ebay would have a much greater audience, and people on here tend to already have a 5. Ebay do rinse you out on fee`s though when selling cars, although thats where ive sold my last 2 cars and got good money for them.

Id take someone who knows about 5`s with you as ive seen it too often when someone has bought a car with a big pile of receipts for extras only to then find out that they have since been taken off the car and the seller either didnt realise or didnt tell the buyer.

Its a bit tight though of the seller not to be prepared to fork out £25 for an MOT ready for the buyer, unless he thinks it will need those jacking points welded etc for it and it wouldnt pass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzza1982 View Post

Thanks for the advice chaps! Iv asked the guy 3 times where are you so I can plan out the trip but never tells me �� in London somewhere turbo ted, do you know anything about it?

Guess I'll keep looking for more 5��!!
    I used to live in greenford beside southall in London and there was j plate white mint 5 I used to drive by all time it was in some ones garage on the back of there house for years, I tired to buy several times off an older indian guy in his late fifties no joy, he said it was giving it to his nephew, I found out later the car had been re-shelled years ago so I left it alone regards rob.