Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Renault 5 gt turbo phase 2 oil pressure indicator

First post!

Hi, just purchased a 1990 phase 2 R 5 gt turbo. I have just replaced the oil filter and now seem to have an intermittent fault with the pressure indication. Also I have lost my speed indication as well. Have I disturbed something. Is the oil pressure/level sensor the same unit or are they separate ? Any info much appreciated.

Also the engine is hunting when cold or warm. It is running quite rich as the plugs are carbonised and adjusting the mixture screw is having no effect. Does my carb need an overhaul.? Any suggestions?

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Renault 5 gt turbo phase 2 oil pressure indicator

Hi, welcome to RTOC

The oil pressure sensor is intermittent on most Renaults, the wiring has possibly got disturbed as its at the end of the turbo oil feed. May be worth removing the plugs and cleaning it up. The oil level sensor is separate.

You could have an air leak to cause the hunting, but it is running rich well worth checking the carb over and seeing what sizes the jets are in there and maybe even a rebuild depending on state of it. Rebuild kits can be found in the club shop, and discount code for purchases is here:

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=34636

I have moved the thread as well to the GT Turbo section