Post Thanks / Like

Carb set up Manchester

Hi all,

Finally the 5 should be back on the road with an MOT by the end of the week but still need to get the carb set up. Anyone got any recommendations for the manchester area as struggling to find anyone who will touch it.

Thanks

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carb set up Manchester

Are there any tuners still out there who even know what they are doing with a GTT!?

The only people I'd trust are members I know on here.

Have a go yourself. There is plenty of information on here to help you rebuild it and set it up. It's not that hard, especially if you are only running standard fuelling and you can even buy the rebuild kits from the club shop.

Post Thanks / Like

dont know any garages up these sides. like you said they all scared of working on 5s..yoy could try phil with the raider on here. he knows how to set the carb up and could probably do it at home.

Post Thanks / Like

his username is gtphil

Post Thanks / Like

My ears are burning

Post Thanks / Like

I can do it for you no problem, Trev is correct tho, more than possible to do it yourself if you prefer. I'm over in Nelson end of the m65 pretty much. If your not confident then give me a shout and we can sort something out
    Last edited by GTphil; 04-09-2014 at 09:52.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Phil,

Many thanks for the offer. And thanks to all others offering advice. I am guessing the sensible thing would be to learn to do this myself. I did fit a sensor in Exh to fit a AFR guage so o guess its about time we got one to set this up.

Are there any obvious guidelines you can offer re setting up. i am running a Performance head (CGB) with Piper valve springs, not 100% sure on cam, it says it did have a 285 on the invoices from the guy i bought it off but it also says lots of other things that were stripped off so am not sure on the cam. Turbo wise its a Turbo Tech T25/T25 stage 4 (CGB again)

The car has been off the road for a while, head and turbo are new. I was thinking of running min boost to start so so i can get a few track days in.
    Any pointers would be great as i am an absolute novice with Cams. I have got a carb refurb kit as well which i thought i should fit when setting up.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure it matters what head, cam and turbo you are running, tuning the carb is simply about ensuring the AFR is correct throughout the throttle and rev range. This means buying various jet sizes and getting to grips with this article:
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4734

Fantastic article showing how to service the carb:
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=27381

Some good information on AFRs:
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4761

Drilling the second stage:
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=15054

As for timing up a cam, that is a different story.

Post Thanks / Like

If your tuning for track use you will want the afr's nice and safe. Depends on what sort of power your after? Doesn't really matter about the cam and what not it just needs setting up so it's safe.

Set it to say 7/8psi once you have the afr. Then take it from there

Is it road legal also?

It will be important to make sure as well as full throttle tuning it's nice and safe in-between gears when coming back on boost. It can take a while with lots of different changes before its spot on. If you can call a carb fueled motor spot on

If you can change a head gasket you can tune a carb. A lot is made of how much of a black art it is but in reality it's just trial and error. Hopefully a little less of the error.