East Midlands Area Rep Kingscott's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

More questions if you can help?

Hi everyone, I must apologise for asking so many questions but I have been off the cars in the last five years and so even after 15 years of gt turbo ownership I still must pick your brains.

Ok so here we go......

Gearbox oil.......what do I need?

How Can it test my knock sensor? My one has taken a knock

How Can I test my oil pressure sensor and switch? I have no reading on the dash!

I recall an old mod that involved swapping the timing sensor wires over....can someone explain what this was about and if I should try it?

ultra dumb question.... 195 45 15......what pressure do I want to run on the road?

Ultra complicated question......this common head oil way crack.....how the hell do they mend it? And who can mend it?

Huge thanks

Adam

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More questions if you can help?

Gear oil 75-90

Knock sensor I'm not sure, never used the o.e one. I use a steth piped from the head into the cabin with 6mm nylon pipe. I only use it when I'm setting up the carb.

Oil pressure sensor, firstly I would take it off clean it up, make sure all the connectors on the loom are ok and replace if necessary. Also make sure the oil level sensor in the sump is in ok condition. When the sump is drained unbolt it and check the fuse wire is present and in tacked. Do the same as above with the connections.

One thing worth mentioning is the standard gauge is notoriously unreliable rather than faffing around with the above, get yourself a mechanical oil pressure gauge fitted. They are only £40 notes or so for the cgb ones that replace the standard pressure sensor. Much more reliable and accurate.

The timing sensor wire swap advances the ignition timing by 4.4 degree's (figure from memory) This will give the car a more responsive feel off boost and is a good mod on a low comp motor. Makes up for the power loss due to the low comp. Be careful with it however because the trade off is your getting closer the the knock threshold the more it's advanced. Untill you have your knock detection sorted and your fueling bang on, I would leave it well alone.

Tyre pressures I run 30psi at the back and 28psi at the front.

Epoxy/tube fix, never done or seen it myself but have read many time's it's a permanent fix.

East Midlands Area Rep Kingscott's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: More questions if you can help?

Perfect.

Thanks mate much appreciated.