Post Thanks / Like

roll cage removal

Any tips on how to get one out?

I have a 6 point bolt in roll cage which I am attempting to remove. Door bars, rear diagonal and all bolts have been taken out so I am just left with front and rear sections. There is minimal space to maneuver it around, top bar hits the roof when lifted, and rear legs are impeded by the wheel arch....

Ideally I would like it to stay complete if possible so has anybody managed to get one out without cutting any bars or mounting plates? .....

East Midlands Area Rep Kingscott's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: roll cage removal

Hi mate, take, front seats out, rear consul gear stick surround out. Shift the cage forwards and sideways out one of the doors. I removed the door seals too......it's that tight.

Good luck. Need two people.

Post Thanks / Like

A ratchet strap comes in handy to flex the B pillar uprights in, to go past the B posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant, Thank you for the suggestions ratchet straps are a great tip. Interior is already completley stripped out at the minute bar dash and centre console.

Will have a go at it tomorrow.. fingers crossed it behaves itself

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like its a different cage to mine, on mine the rear cage legs unbolt separately from the top of the rear hoop which makes it a lot easier to get in/out.

On my old classic mini the safety devices cage I had in that was a nightmare to get in/out, so the old ratchet trick on the bottom of the cage legs to bend them in a bit was the way forward, just watch the ratchet doesnt fly undone. Its easier if theres a couple of you also to help manovour it out.

Post Thanks / Like

After a decent inspection last night I think I have it sussed out. There are sleeves along the roof bars between the A & B pillars which allow for bolting front and rear sections, with that off and them both completley free of each other (rather than loose in the sleeve) I think there should be enough clearance to wrestle them out!

Its definetley not a safety devices, I cant remember the make tbh, its like graham goode racing or something along those lines - have the invoice somewhere in my folder.

Post Thanks / Like

well its out had to remove the rear section first so there was enough room for the front

Thanks for the tips, the straps worked a treat - but managed it alone

a re-paint then it will be for sale

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tubbyG View Post
    well its out had to remove the rear section first so there was enough room for the front

Thanks for the tips, the straps worked a treat - but managed it alone

a re-paint then it will be for sale

Let me know the price for it as I may be interested. But don't necessarily need it painted!
    Cheers