Post Thanks / Like

rear beam

went over to seans in leeds today to raise my rear beam, try as we might it kept going back to the same level, the rear arms instead of dropping down when the torsion bars were taken out kept popping up.

Anyway we gave up after 3 hours and thought it was back to the same level i went there with. however as soon as i drove away it was touching the arch on one side, both sides have dropped. with some fettling of the arch Sean managed to get enough clearance for me to be able to drive back home in one piece.

Anyone come across this issue before? Sean thinks i may have a clio or other rear beam on the back as it seems very wide, making the tyres sit too close to the arch.

Im taking the kids to Alton towers on tuesday, wanted to raise the rear so the dont scrub. btw i have 15" alloys with 195 50 15 on their. Ideally i want to be able to sort this issue out tommorow. Any Ideas? Much appreciated. Oh and big thanks to Sean its was a hard graft for him lying on the floor in the beating sunshine, top bloke.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: rear beam

With 50 profile tyres it doesn't take much adjustment on the rear to start rubbing, even with 40 profile as opposed to 45 it still rubs on the GT rear arch. With yours being a gtx I'm imagining it would rub a little quicker than a GTT would.

When I re-adjusted my rear beam, (same reason as you) I had to physically force the trailing arms down on both sides then get the t-bar back into the locating lugs. ****ed about for ages with it before I got it correct. Did some sweating anyways

Post Thanks / Like

You need somebody to stand on the sides of the beam with torsion bars out when its been lowered for years - if you want to raise the rideheight. Done one recently that was the same.

On a gtt for stock ish rideheight its 330mm from bottom of arch to the top of the centre part of the disc.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks phil im going over to national tyres to try and get a friend to sort it in half an hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    You need somebody to stand on the sides of the beam with torsion bars out when its been lowered for years - if you want to raise the rideheight. Done one recently that was the same.

On a gtt for stock ish rideheight its 330mm from bottom of arch to the top of the centre part of the disc.
    lol i was standing on the bar while sean playdd with the torsion bar. i dont weigh much probably played a factor. think i just missed you by a few minutes apparently. hope should be sorted in an hour atleast the bars arnt seized i suppose

Post Thanks / Like

been to five diffrent garages got the same answer from all NO chance. its like they scared of torsion bars or something lol. on a plus point it sure does go round a bend so much faster, just a shame i cant get the wife and kids in or the tyre rubs the sidewall

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B18ftMOJO5 View Post
    been to five diffrent garages got the same answer from all NO chance. its like they scared of torsion bars or something lol. on a plus point it sure does go round a bend so much faster, just a shame i cant get the wife and kids in or the tyre rubs the sidewall

I once dropped my car of at a local garage, for the t-bar raising and new rear shocks fitted. Was expecting £200 at the most.

Ended up with a £675 bill for two new rear trailing arms plus the rest. Found out they had the rear beam off the car and mullered the 10month old ones that were on with an oxeye acetylene welder

Post Thanks / Like

ouch now your scraring me...lol. atleast alton towers is cancelled because of rain so ive got a few days to sort it.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

You forget to mention what the wheels are off, offset? Vaux and I think honda wheels stick in too far and rub inside. Vw/BMW will stick out too far and catch the outer. When it's low they have to be Renault wheels, et38. Remember the arch trims will catch too.
    I presume Sean removed the dampers, and had both bars out at same time? Leda dampers are shorter and stiffer than std.

Post Thanks / Like

The news oz wheels are et36. Rear dampers are new standard ones need to refurb the Leda rears. Sean managed to get one damper off the other was impossible to remove because of the rear fuel tank. Too be honest I think it's all right now just need to drop down to 195 45 15 tyres and should be ok. Took the kids to Alton towers yesterday and it didn't rub so seems ok, it also handles much better now, I had a five mile country rd blast with a r35 Nissan gtr, he didn't lose me at all and put his hazards on and gave me a thumbs up when we parted. I was surprised it kept up he must have not been used to driving the gtr I assume lol.

Also drove to shelsby hill climb the day before and back with no issues, love the rds down there ideal for the 5, lots of country rd with nice long sweeping bends.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post
    You forget to mention what the wheels are off, offset? Vaux and I think honda wheels stick in too far and rub inside. Vw/BMW will stick out too far and catch the outer. When it's low they have to be Renault wheels, et38. Remember the arch trims will catch too.
    I presume Sean removed the dampers, and had both bars out at same time? Leda dampers are shorter and stiffer than std.
    Yes I did managed to remove both dampers and bars too, I think it been lowered like that for years and difficult to raise the rear beams, also when I put my 15" Renault 19 ph1 16v alloys with correct 195/45/15 tyres, it stick out and touching the inside of wheel arches compare to my other r5s, I suspected the beams from either ph1 Clio 16v or Renault Extra van's beams?

Sean