Post Thanks / Like

What's it's worth?

I'm looking at a couple of 5s over the next week or so, and I'm wondering what a fair price would be for one that needs some welding on the sill and possibly a new clutch?

Both 5s i am looking at, are in standard form, no tax/Mot, and about 90k on the clock, on standard engine? Both need some welding (which I am hoping can be done without the need of a respray)!

Also what's the cost of a decent clutch these days? And is it best to take the engine out to fit it or not.

Cheers
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's it's worth?

Without sounding too negative, if they need some welding they probably need a lot. If they are in good order and running fine 1500?

Post Thanks / Like

Well thats kind of along the lines I was thinking. 2-2.5k seems the going rate for a taxed/mot'd 5 "with no visible rust". But something that has failed an mot due to rust on sills is going to need new sills.

Where does everyone get there panels from? Just so I can get an idea of the cost of things?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

For parts try Mike - http://www.gt-turbo-spares.co.uk/

He is a member on here and goes by the username phase i 16 v turbo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I've just had a look. Is there much difference in quality between the OEM panels and non genuine?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

In terms of sills, inner and outer, I would say 99% of people go for the aftermarket ones. I have them and they seem fine. I guess at the end of the day it comes down to cost. I would have fitted OEM but it's cost prohibitive.

With regards the clutch if you are going to up the power, but not to silly levels, then the Valeo (Green Box) is the way to go. It's cheaper than OEM but can handle more power. It is a heavier feel though so people choose to do a soft pedal conversion on these. When your ready have a chat to Mike and he will steer you in the right direction .

As Hoolio said if it needs some welding them chances are it needs a fair bit. Have a look at my build thread in the projects section to give you an idea. I didn't think the car had any major rust until I stripped it down to a shell. Then again unless you buy a car that has been rebuilt I doubt you will find any truly rust free examples unless you are spending big bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I know which white gtt you are on about on ebay at 2.5k and didn't sell, all original but needs welding, mot etc. I agree and say it would need stripping right down to see the full extent and do a solid job but I would like to add is don't throw away any of those oe parts whatever you do!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, he said he wouldn't take any less than 2.5k. It's had one sill fitted and needs another on drivers side and some work on the boot floor. He doesn't know when it was last on the road, or what it would need for an mot. And reluctant to go on test drive because its not road legal. I could probably borrow my works trade plates to get around that, but still it seems a lot for something that needs work. When you see plenty that are drivable and road legal for that money.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah he won't budge he says it is a very honest and original car which it is, but I think it will be a can of worms like most are when you start stripping it down. All the oe parts are there which you can sell and how much of the car do you want to keep original? And the welding and paint job bill could be massive. If he broke it and sold it for spares he could get some good money for parts.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm planning on building factory standard car. So the more OE parts the better. I've asked for some more pictures of the bad areas, so we'll see.

My boss may let me use the paint shop, but it'll still be a good few hundred quid for paint and panels. What would you say it's worth?

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to view it to say but it is 6 hour round trip for me so it's a no go. If it all runs and drives as it should and the corrosion doesn't look too bad it's worth what he is asking, especially if you want all oe parts. Let us know how it goes if you go and have a look