Post Thanks / Like

strange electrical??? fault

first time im asking for help for a while lol, basically mike said the other day that the car was running strange it was hestitant sometimes, so I said I change the plugs, anyway yesterday I took the car and it drove faultless for around a hour, then last night mike went to go to work it fired started and then died instantly it then wouldn't start again, I went out this morning and check the tdc plug and ignition leads, turned over it started straight away and has worked fine, so im thinking fuel pump relay but in the past someone has done something with the wiring the screwed relay is a normal relay same as the radiator relay wired into a 6 wire plug with a thick white wire??? there is a white relay that's mounted on the fusebox which looks like the fuel relay but im not sure

im .com

intermittent faults drive me mad pleeezzzzeee help thanx mick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: strange electrical??? fault

When this happened to me, it was the AEI relay, nr the bonnet catch mech.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    first time im asking for help for a while lol, basically mike said the other day that the car was running strange it was hestitant sometimes, so I said I change the plugs, anyway yesterday I took the car and it drove faultless for around a hour, then last night mike went to go to work it fired started and then died instantly it then wouldn't start again, I went out this morning and check the tdc plug and ignition leads, turned over it started straight away and has worked fine, so im thinking fuel pump relay but in the past someone has done something with the wiring the screwed relay is a normal relay same as the radiator relay wired into a 6 wire plug with a thick white wire??? there is a white relay that's mounted on the fusebox which looks like the fuel relay but im not sure

im .com

intermittent faults drive me mad pleeezzzzeee help thanx mick

White relay is not fuel relay matey, strange why they would replace the fuel pump relay with a normal one (but then some people are cheap), to eliminate fuel pump relay you could remove the relay and bridge a constant or ignition live to the thick white wire (thick white wire is the fuel pump +) as you know yellow ignition live or red constant, do this and see if the problem still persists

Post Thanks / Like

thanx james so im deffo looking at the right plug its a 6 wire plug 3/3 thick white, brown, black, black/yellow and I think red only 5 wires are used, they are manually wired with separate wires to a female relay base which a standard really sits in??

so which wires are bridged james the white to a ignition wire from the relay??

Post Thanks / Like

thanx james so im deffo looking at the right plug its a 6 wire plug 3/3 thick white, brown, black, black/yellow and I think red only 5 wires are used, they are manually wired with separate wires to a female relay base which a standard really sits in??

so which wires are bridged james the white to a ignition wire from the relay??

You either bridge yellow to white for ignition live, or red to white for contast live, I would do the yellow to white at least it will turn pump of when ignition off so you can still drive it about

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanx james ill do that and see what happens otherwise could it be carb related?? strange it didn't start last night but started straight away today does the relay still need to be plugged in?? when bridged??

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanx james ill do that and see what happens otherwise could it be carb related?? strange it didn't start last night but started straight away today does the relay still need to be plugged in?? when bridged??

No you don't need to plug in relay using the wire bypasses.

It could be some crap in carb doubt it though, as Trev says also try a different relay in the AEI relay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post

It could be some crap in carb doubt it though, as Trev says also try a different relay in the AEI relay
    didn't know the aei had a relay mate??? wheres it located and is the aei a standard relay if not ive not got one

Post Thanks / Like

Its in bulkhead between AEI and bonnet latch, its same type relay as the rest in the engine bay.

I have a few spare relays if you need

Post Thanks / Like

Its in bulkhead between AEI and bonnet latch, its same type relay as the rest in the engine bay.

I have a few spare relays if you need
    your a gent james just located it and it looks ok but mikes plastic scuttle has gone altogether now so maybe its getting wet, yeah I think maybe replace the pair of them to see if it sorts problem, can aei relay be bridged too lol

Post Thanks / Like

your a gent james just located it and it looks ok but mikes plastic scuttle has gone altogether now so maybe its getting wet, yeah I think maybe replace the pair of them to see if it sorts problem, can aei relay be bridged too lol

Yes but I am unsure to which wire does what as they are all yellow from memory

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IIRC, the yellow wired relay near the AEI is normally closed. It's job is to open and shut off power to the AEI if the 'over boost' pressure switch is actuated. The connections there eventually corrode. I replaced mine, and probably the socket too, and used a direct wire from the battery for the main current through the relay contacts to the AEI, changing the use of the yellow supply wire to instead operate the relay coil, so it closed when the ign key is 'on'. The car started better than it even had and idle was better too.

Post Thanks / Like

ok ian I may need your help more here im going to take some pictures just to get to the bottom of this and I need to check im looking at the right thing, but the relay that's there now is a saab one and they are rocking horse sh1t apparently ive just looks and theres 1 on ebay in the usa, I may need to go back to the original fuel pump relay somehow, can you get the oe ones new??? ill add some pics later but the guy in the shop said hed never seen this relay before also I tried the bypass it didn't work and rev counter stopped working

Post Thanks / Like

I may have a standard relay nocking around you can have FOC if you collect. But no have no means of proving its functional.

Post Thanks / Like

thanx jerps ive spoken to jim and for some weird reason once ive bypass'ed it to the main block it works so ill need a oe one now as it looks like they have keep the original plug ill up some pics but if it still does it now then it looks like the fuel pump is faulty

Post Thanks / Like

heres some pix

Post Thanks / Like

looks like fuel pump bypassed and still doing it

Post Thanks / Like

I have a phase one pump for grabs

Even pop up n try fitting at mine? If it don't work we are no worse off??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Bump.

Post Thanks / Like

god I totally missed ya post trev abit like marts

ive changed that relay mate today its still broke down bypassed fuel pump too, it totally broke down today, eventually started again but over 2.5k it jerks like anything, I had this before and it was a intermittent fuel pump, im not totally dismissing the tdc sensor but that was brand new 1.5 years ago, its got a phase 1 on it jerps but if its cheap I may take you up on it but mike will need another soon anyway for the f7r so may just get a 044 matey, not 100% yet, pm me the price thought jerps
    Last edited by R5MJH; 11-07-2014 at 20:10.

Post Thanks / Like

ive changed that relay mate today its still broke down bypassed fuel pump too, it totally broke down today, eventually started again but over 2.5k it jerks like anything, I had this before and it was the intermittent fuel pump, im not totally dismissing the tdc sensor but that was brand new 1.5 years ago, its got a phase 1 on it jerps but if its cheap I may take you up on it but mike will need another soon anyway for the f7r so may just get a 044 matey, not 100% yet, pm me the price thought jerps
    £25 collected

Post Thanks / Like

ive changed that relay mate today its still broke down bypassed fuel pump too, it totally broke down today, eventually started again but over 2.5k it jerks like anything, I had this before and it was a intermittent fuel pump, im not totally dismissing the tdc sensor but that was brand new 1.5 years ago, its got a phase 1 on it jerps but if its cheap I may take you up on it but mike will need another soon anyway for the f7r so may just get a 044 matey, not 100% yet, pm me the price thought jerps
    No worries mate. OK, good to eliminate that relay

Fuel pump is a good shout and if not that I think this sounds like it might be a dodgy main earth cable perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

id replace that dodgy TDC lead,may start fine,may drive fine for a mile or two.

they break down,its the heat you see!!!

money is on the tdc sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J$£5GTT View Post
    id replace that dodgy TDC lead,may start fine,may drive fine for a mile or two.

they break down,its the heat you see!!!

money is on the tdc sensor.

Just had this problem the other day did everything mentioned above, turned out to be TDC.

Post Thanks / Like

well the fuel pump was making some weird noises i may be proved wrong but the tdc was replaced 2 years ago with a brand new one, think ive got a spare somewhere so ill try it too

Post Thanks / Like

its also a wise move to use the original renault tdc heatshield to.

Post Thanks / Like

thanx jerps seems to have done the job matey, looks like fuel pump was the fault

Post Thanks / Like

thanx jerps seems to have done the job matey, looks like fuel pump was the fault
    Pleasure helping out, sorry my stupid slave posted it so slowly

Post Thanks / Like

Good to have this problem sorted Did you replace the filter at the same time or was that relatively new?

Post Thanks / Like

yes changed the filter too as it hadnt had one for a long time

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

apparently mike said its still having the odd cough but that was when it rained hard Monday, the scuttle plastic is fubar and I think water is getting now to the aei relay as its fine when theres no rain, so a new scuttle plastic should do the job I hope

Post Thanks / Like

need more help on this car cuts out every now and then I think its more electrical than anything else, the fuel pump was faulty but theres another fault still, is it just the aei and the tdc lead which can be the only electrical problems left?? ive still got the other pump that JeRPs gave me so that is the final call but I don't think its that can anyone help to finally get this car to running correctly before the engine is changed for the f7r, as always all advice is greatly appreciated thanx again mick

Post Thanks / Like

Did you fit the new scuttle cover and did you try the spare TDC lead that you've got?

What about the leads (sorry if this has been mentioned above). Maybe you have a broken king lead or it's getting interference from other stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

Did you fit the new scuttle cover and did you try the spare TDC lead that you've got?

What about the leads (sorry if this has been mentioned above). Maybe you have a broken king lead or it's getting interference from other stuff?
    no didn't fit scuttle yet it seemed to be doing it when it rained, but now its doing it a lot again , when engines cold or its dry so not proberly the aei relay what I thought it was, ive not changed tdc lead or aei, but ill be changing these Friday as I think we have spares to try

Post Thanks / Like

My money is on the TDC lead like others have had problems with recently.

Post Thanks / Like

My money is on the TDC lead like others have had problems with recently.

thank you trev ill try this 1st and go from there ill also check the leads as a precaution matey, ill let you know the sp though, the fuel pump was deffo going before as the original fault was that, but now this is another fault suppose the fuel pump will be last resort after other little bits

Post Thanks / Like

No worries.

And I just remembered. The king lead needs to be routed AWAY from the TDC. Those are the two that can cause running problems if they are in too close proximity.

Post Thanks / Like

right ive changed the TDC sensor but have had to use the top of the wire as the other was broken as seems well ill wait for a update from mike to see what the sp is

Post Thanks / Like

had to use the top of the wire as the other was broken as seems well
    Not sure what you're saying here. Oh, are you using Ph2 TDC's that come in two sections? And that the section near the AEI on the replacement TDC was broken, so you used your existing one of those?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you're saying here. Oh, are you using Ph2 TDC's that come in two sections? And that the section near the AEI on the replacement TDC was broken, so you used your existing one of those?

its a p2 but the spare I had in the shed the wire was broken, so I cut both and put spare sensor to original top part of grey plug mate

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

ok so we still have problems

new fp relay, secondhand p1 pump, secondhand tdc lead

wont start when cold easily could it be intermittent aei or aei relay

what else is there, it broke down Wednesday I bridge fp relay and it started, fitted brand new relay and it wouldn't start at all last night

EDIT

got no spark now at all so ill check Monday when I get time go a wedding now

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the earth like on your aei? If that's bad then you would have no spark no fuel.

Just a thought and I haven't read the rest of the posts to see what's been said!

Cheers

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I wish you'd fit a new AEI relay so you can discount it completely! Lol.

Worth checking all the engine earths too

Post Thanks / Like

check the lead from the TDC isnt shorting where it goes through the bulkhead. The wire can wear through there and short out then with no signal to the AEI you get no spark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RussellT View Post
    check the lead from the TDC isnt shorting where it goes through the bulkhead. The wire can wear through there and short out then with no signal to the AEI you get no spark.

thx russ ill check that too next boss thx for the heads up too