Post Thanks / Like

9 Turbo speedo problem

Hi guys,
    Got a problem with our speedo which doesn't seem to work.... Our mechanic says there's no life in the cable at all.... Do I risk replacing it with a new one and will a 5 GT Turbos be compatable. I've also heard that it might be a setting in the box itself requiring an air gap.... No idea what that means and I really need good guidance on this one to relay to my mechanic.... Please help

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 9 Turbo speedo problem

Its an electric speedo from a pick up in the differential of the gearbox. Gearboxes are very similar to the 5 turbo however 9 turbo & 11 turbo has lower ratio gearbox. Has the pick up been taken out and cleaned up? Also check where the lower cable plugs into the upper cable as on a 5 turbo there is a black connector near nearside suspension turret, - must look on my phase 1 11 turbo to check if similar. Could it be the speedo itself? be worth checking connector on the back of the speedo itself

Post Thanks / Like

Cool.thanks

Post Thanks / Like

No worries, let me know how you get on. Will be visiting my 11 at the weekend to familiarise

Post Thanks / Like

Found out what the problem was.. Apparently the cable got trapped when the new gearbox went in and it broke. So now on the search for a new cable if anyone knows of one...

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, thats some of the battle, had a look at my 11 after work & speedo connector is at back of carb near bulkhead and heater matrix hoses. Cable looks very similar to that of a 5 gt turbo so maybe worth trying a lower section from a 5 gt considering gearboxes are very similar just different gear ratios.