Post Thanks / Like

Old member rejoining!

First post!

Hi All,

An oldie member here rejoining! I was a member of the RTOC way back when it was just a magazine which was sent out every so often, before the internet was invented I guess! Must have been back in 1995/96! Id wait with baited breath for the next issue of the mag to land on my door step & me and other members would chat on the phone for hours about ideas we had for mods.

I had a few 5GTT`s around then and tuned them up. The current one ive got ive owned since about 1996 I think. I bought it as a project at the time. Stripped it down and had it repainted. I modified it quite a bit back then. Group N clutch, T25 turbo, dump valve, alloy intercooler, in car boost, scorpion exhaust system, better radiator etc. I then got talking to portformance and I believe I was about the 2nd 5 turbo they worked on following another guy in the RTOC who had his head done just before I did. Portformance ported and gasflowed the head, manifolds and carb out. I seem to remember they got about 17% more flow through the head. The carb was basically turned into group N spec I think as it was bored out so much it had no choke. After speaking to GT Tuning about fueling I stick a 160 mains jet in it and it ran like a dream. The gas flowing / porting made the engine spin up miles quicker and on the road it was lethal. Nothing I came up against was quicker around my way!

I used to use it for my daily commuter but then the heavy clutch, the low mpg after the mods and the constant watching of the temp gauge made me take it off the road back in about 2003 and its been in my garage ever since.

Roll on 2014 and ive finally decided to get it back on the road. First port of call was google and my god how things have changed. EFI systems, AFR meters, a lot of the big names are now gone and a whole load of new people out there. I soon stumbled accross CGB who must be loving me, ive just dropped about 2grand with them on spares and bits over the last few weeks, not to mention what ive spent else where. Basically i will nearly be rebuilding the whole car.

Ive got a budget of about 3k atm which I think should do me to get it back on the road. Im very handy with the spanners so will be doing it all myself.

So far im just in the middle of overhauling the front running gear - fitting new poly bushes to the wishbones/roll bars, new ball joints, bearings, tie rods, brake discs, braided hoses, new brake calipers & pads to the front end. Next on the list will be popping off the side skirts as I think the sills are a bit rotten as I work my way down the car to the back end.

The list of bits to do is long and will take a while, but fortunately all the performance bits I did way back in the early days, so its already got a stripped out interior, full 6 pt cage, buckets, harnesses, spax adjustables, lowered suspension, 15" wheels, quick shifter, and the engine with its current spec should be pushing out around 200bhp, although once its back on the road it will be straight onto a dyno to see exactly what its doing.

Look forward to reading whats been happening with the R5 since I was last into the scene and will probably be asking loads of questions!

Ive already found out about the cup mod which sounds like it may solve my uneven idling problem the cars always had. I did think it was something to do with the breather system, so will see if that helps.

Cheers
    rabbitstew.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old member rejoining!

Welcome Andrew,

Lots of things have changed since back then, with Renault 5s getting big engine conversions from different cars to the fuel injection and running 11 sec 1/4mile on the C1J engine. Even with the club we have expanded the knowledge as well as knowing where to source parts from and including replicating parts to keep these cars on the road. Some can be found within the club shop, others have been done on group buys every now and then.

Look forward to see pictures of the car and progress of getting back on the road after 11 years.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Lots of things have changed since back then.
    Tell me about it. I just popped into my local Renault to get a couple of ball joint bolts and the bloke looked at me like I was an alien. Last time I was in renault the parts bloke just whipped up the microfiche, asked me to point at the bits I wanted and off he went and got them. Now he wanted a build number and unless I had that he couldnt find them on his computer. He had no microfiche and even if I gave him the part number he`d have to order it from France...

I felt like id just been transported into the future like Marty McFly..

"Renault 5???? Whats one of them?!"

In all fairness the parts bloke did say I was the first person asking about a renault 5 part in about 2 years!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=1903

Ive uploaded some photos.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The constant battle with the Renault parts department, though you will be surprised what parts are still available and normally cheaper than they are on eBay.

Car looks good, looks like you had a copper core rad in their which will leak. Nice collection of new parts you got there though would not put an aftermarket clutch cable on, would go for Renault part only for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    The constant battle with the Renault parts department, though you will be surprised what parts are still available and normally cheaper than they are on eBay.

Car looks good, looks like you had a copper core rad in their which will leak. Nice collection of new parts you got there though would not put an aftermarket clutch cable on, would go for Renault part only for that.
    Yep, i originally replaced the stock radiator with a GT Tuning copper core rad which was fine until the car was taken off the road and of course, through lack of use the copper corroded and leaked - looks a right mess now. Gone for a bigger capacity alloy one this time. Ive also got an separate oil cooler, so will need to workout best place to fit that.

Ive got a choice of 2 intercoolers, a double capacity "pace" one which sits in stock position, or a bigger front mounted one - which will require some mods to the bumper & possibly the cross member to fit. Im thinking more towards the front mounted one as that would free up room in the engine bay & allow more cooler air to hit the air filter. But then the whole front of the car will be taken up with oil cooler, radiator & intercooler so might be a struggle to get them all to fit.

The clutch cable ive just bought is supposed to be a heavier duty one with a thicker cable in it. I usually use genuine renault, but due to the heavy duty clutch they tend to snap. Ive seen theres now a "soft clutch" conversion, so i`ll be doing that at some point to see if that helps.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to have an ex-member back in the game and another GTT saved. You can tell a long term member when they talk about GP N or GP A parts! Looks like a good basis you've got there, nice SD roll cage

Scotland Regional Rep youngscottie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Loving the borbet alloys
    Had them on my mk2 golf back in the 90s
    If you ever fancy selling them give me a shout

Post Thanks / Like

welcome back to the club. wish i could have afforded one back in 96.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back squire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B18ftMOJO5 View Post
    welcome back to the club. wish i could have afforded one back in 96.
    Back in about 96 when I bought this, nice ones were selling for about £2200->£2500, so I sold the mint condition 1988 Black one I had for £2300 and bought this one for £1750 as a tatty faded red 1987 one. I think I worked out in about 1999 it stood me at about £7000 at that point with all the stuff id done to it. That was just parts and didnt include any labour costs as I did all the work myself.

Quote Originally Posted by youngscottie View Post
    Loving the borbet alloys
    Had them on my mk2 golf back in the 90s
    If you ever fancy selling them give me a shout
    They have TSW centre caps so I assumed they were some TSW wheel. I bought them 2nd hand in the late 90`s as it worked out cheaper to buy a set of 4 15" alloys with tyres than just get another set of 13" tyres.