Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: R5 GTT Rear Wheel Drive 172 project

ahh i've found the original map which was TPS as main load

I'll see if i can input it into the emerald one.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

awsome

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Uploaded it in your technical files mate Here

https://www.rtoc.org/files/index.php?...n%27s%20stuff/

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Uploaded it in your technical files mate Here

https://www.rtoc.org/files/index.php?...n%27s%20stuff/
    Thanks for this Ashy, I'll give it a go this weekend! and let you know how it went

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

no problem, I've had to re-scale the injection values to try and get it as cloes to mine as possible. My table is in milli secs so have had to convert it. Hope it works

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

todays work.. building the frame for the firewall and engine cover.. I have the templates for the covers just need to cut out the aluminium not sure how yet I've only got a pair of tin snips

I still need to block up the old exhaust exit

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very nice

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit more progress this morning, my roll cage bar has arrived now I can weld it to my cage to hang the belts off it!! also my seat borrowed from a friend and I've finished the template for the rear engine cover and have cut the side aluminium bits.. hopefully I'll get chance to cut the middle bit and start fixing it all in place tonight.
    My fuel pump mount broke aswell as I was trying to fit the tank.. I think the rubber has just corroded so I need to get hold of another..

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Warren View Post
    A bit more progress this morning, my roll cage bar has arrived now I can weld it to my cage to hang the belts off it!! also my seat borrowed from a friend and I've finished the template for the rear engine cover and have cut the side aluminium bits.. hopefully I'll get chance to cut the middle bit and start fixing it all in place tonight.
    My fuel pump mount broke aswell as I was trying to fit the tank.. I think the rubber has just corroded so I need to get hold of another..

Bloody work computer won't allow me to see the pics going to have to wait til I get home

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very nice mate, that cover will look awsome when it's done in alloy... Love the way the cage sits aswell..
    Can't wait to see the finished item, good work mate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

errrm missed quite a bit out will fill in after pod but MOT day tomorrow wish me luck

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a 996 silencer i see...

Post Thanks / Like

Wups allready been said... i should have read....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    Is that a 996 silencer i see...
    well spotted though finding it a tad noisey may have to swap for an MR2 job we'll see when it runs a little smoother

update: didn't make it to the mot station.. it ran too rough although I could have hobbled there didn't want to risk it and when I popped the boot my battery cable was starting to melt under the heat need to sort more ventilation I think..

then I came home to put the lambda sensor in for tuning at rtoc pod day and the bung wouldn't come out and didn't have a nother boss so had to abort pod which was a shame as I had the van and trailer sorted.. guess Mallory will be the next mile stone

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

still slogging on with this.. I've changed the silencer for one off an Elise and I'm just waiting for the pipework to be finished (only a short bit but needs a real tight 180 section) and a freaking lambda sensor bung - which will be third time lucky!

As you can see with the pictures because I have boxed the engine in I needed to get the hot air out somehow hence the meshing.. it's a little rough and ready but it's something I can always get a bodyshop to tidy up and a later date (like that will ever happen ).. The other picure shows the aluminum shelving all finished it's all but 1% sealed when the tailgate is closed (not scientific but close enough).

I'm also looking at fitting a side scoop, I've been reluctant up until now to keep it looking as standard as possible but in the interests of air flow I may have too.. probably looking for something off the v6 clio or mk1 mr2 not sure yet... idea's most welcome

Anyway here's a couple of pics

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ps.. the red bonnet pins were something that I had in the shed for about 5 years.. I would have chose silver if I had the choice

Post Thanks / Like

I'm liking it

Shame you can't keep the standard looks but the V6 air scoop will look good.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

could you not use poly windows with some sort of ducting, forcing the hot air out off the mesh?

Post Thanks / Like

how about building a tunnel from the front grill through the centre of the car?

Post Thanks / Like

Seal off the rear from the passenger area . Reverse the rear quarter opening and pipe through the engine bay cover

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Scoop under the car for cooling??

Post Thanks / Like

This project is awesome, hats off to you, would love to hopefully see it one day and see it on track! As for vents and ducting i would like to keep the original looks for sure aswell and those are some great ideas, all i can say is that if you went the v6 sidepods route i would go for ph2 pods as they are squarer and would suit the squrer lines of the 5 more. Novice view- Is there anything that can be done with a discreet roof scoop? or ducting from modified ph1 arches or a old renault turbos side pods?

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

looking good mate, hope to see it at Mallory... Did it run on that map then?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the idea's.. I was originally thinking the underbody scoop.. but was put off by scooping to much dirt up.. might be interesting through a deepish puddle although I haven't ruled it out..

the tunnel from the from front I never would of thought of! maybe quite a bit of work but I'll have a good think about it

Perspex aka 6r4 style I do like would have worked better if I had sealed the passenger area off.. as I would have to find some moulded scoops that go into some pretty wide aluminum type tubing to feed through the engine cover (which has to be fireproof) I suppose chimmney lining could do it

A bit more reseach I think and thanks Dickie for the tip on the ph2 side pods.. didn't know there was a difference although I may have to use my metal working skills as the cheapest I've seen a pair is around £100 non-originals

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    looking good mate, hope to see it at Mallory... Did it run on that map then?
    I didn't get chance to feed it in.. I was such a mad panic the friday before rtoc ND.. I actually ran (limped) on a citreon bx 16v map (one of the stock maps already on the install disc) to try and get to the mot station..

The haven't turned the engine since once the lambda sensor is in place I'll be feeding it in as seeing how things look which may even be this weekend

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

how about some poly carbonate rear quarter windows with some groub-B like air inlet scoops, piped up with some big diamater ribbed tubing.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    how about some poly carbonate rear quarter windows with some groub-B like air inlet scoops, piped up with some big diamater ribbed tubing.
    The difficulty is that they need to be fireproof (well resistant) so my only option would be chimney liner which makes it difficult to direct the air where needed.

I was close going for the scoop underneath but as soon as I hit a bit of dust I imagine it'll re-coat the engine bay

I think I might have to go for the lower side intake and hack the body work..

Post Thanks / Like

Not that I know much about turbocharged rear engine heat soaked Renaults but .......
    Open up the rear quarter windows/scoops and either pipe through with some ducting to the engine bay or seal off the rear ,uncover the lump and put some slats in the rear screen .
    Higher pressure air flowing over the top off the engine will 'suck' the hot bay air out
    Name:  image0-20.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  54.9 KBName:  image1-30.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  42.1 KBName:  image0-52.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  50.4 KBName:  image3-21.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  44.2 KB

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

crikey I'e relised that I'm quite behind on updates to this post, we the car has been mot'd but since I've added an additionl engine mount (orignial top clio mount) and upgraded to a wideband setup and adaptive mapping using the emerald k3 and techedge 2j1.
    Also I've addressed the hidous bump steer well at least I think I have as at this point I haven't drove it but basically I've locked the hubs so they no longer turn as the suspension lowers and lifts here are a couple of pics..

Next up I've just got to finish the wiring and tidy a few bits up and then hopefully I'll be back on the road again

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

looks awesome should be good! nice one

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've just had it mapped at Emerald and I'm well impressed at 183bhp/160lbft and that's with a £5 air filter from ebay and an exhaust with a tight 180deg bend other than that standard.. anyway I have my first sprint at Curburough this Sunday so I'll finally get chance to use it
    here's the print out

Post Thanks / Like

dont seem to be reving it very high acording to that printout?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose not, but the engine certainly feels like it want to change gear at 6.5

Post Thanks / Like

you might want that little bit extra just for coming out of corners and such, i think stock is 7200 mine was set to 7500

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll have another look, as I haven't really had chance to give it a good run yet.. and possible top my gearbox oil up first do you know what I need to get for the r5 box as I could pick some up at lunch

Post Thanks / Like

75-90w i think it is

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cool thanks

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've just had it mapped at Emerald and I'm well impressed at 183bhp/160lbft and that's with a £5 air filter from ebay and an exhaust with a tight 180deg bend other than that standard.. anyway I have my first sprint at Curburough this Sunday so I'll finally get chance to use it
    here's the print out
    Looking good, Dave doesn't map an engine very far after the power starts to drop off unless you ask him to, but he does know his **** when comes to mapping.

Your bhp and torque curves are abit weird though, did Dave say why he thought they were so hilly?

Post Thanks / Like

thats normal for that engine, somthing to do with cam timing and inlet length

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Your bhp and torque curves are abit weird though, did Dave say why he thought they were so hilly?
    I thought that, but he didn't mention them, and Ewok has put my mind at rest.. I have to admit I can't feel it on the road.

One thing it could be is that I use a ribbed 70cm pipe from the throttle body to the air filter.. but I'm a little reluctant to change anything now it's working.. I think my next steps are to remove weight from wherever I can to improve power to weight

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    He didn't mention it, I think what ewok said makes sense and puts my mind at rest.

Although I do use a 70cm ribbed pipe between my throttle body and air filter which may contribute to turbulance but now it's working and giving good power I think I'll just stick to removing weight for perforamance gains

here's a pic

Post Thanks / Like

here you go, this 3 different runs at different levels of tune on the old 172 the dark blue line is probably closest to your tune, thanks again for andy cooke who overlaid all the info on to one sheet. all of them seem to deliver the torque like this, its just what the engine does

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

fook me man that is some project you under took there....how was the engine mounted and was the hubs based on clio or r5 set up??

awesome matey

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from my first sprint event (curborough), I managed a 38.56 sec time as my best it's hard to compare against but I think I should be aiming for a 35sec as a goal.. I think a set of slicks may help as I was struggling to get the power down off the start and out of a couple of 2nd gear corners

Maxwell.. Thanks for the comments, the hubs are based on standard Renault 5 GT but with a mod I found kit car builders using to take out the bump steer, I basically copied their idea and it's worked a treat, as for mounting the engine that sits on the original subframe but with additional engine mounts.. especially now I have the Clio engine in. I have quite a few details of the original built at my web site www.gomodit.co.uk .

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave sure does know his SH1T doesn't he?!

He mapped my VAG Clio a couple of years ago & I was very chuffed with him & his work!!

Nice guy to boot too!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    Dave sure does know his SH1T doesn't he?!

He mapped my VAG Clio a couple of years ago & I was very chuffed with him & his work!!

Nice guy to boot too!!
    Yeah totally agree, I was made to feel very welcome.. and he diagnosed my car problems straight away.. I probably would have been figuring them out until next year

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah totally agree, I was made to feel very welcome.. and he diagnosed my car problems straight away.. I probably would have been figuring them out until next year
    Was he impressed with it?? I take it there will be a small article in PPC mag??

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure he took a few pictures.. He did seem quite intriquied with what I'd done.. although not as much as one of the other guys working there.. he was helping a customer build a turbo/supercharged 5 with a rear engine.. sounds like there is being serious money spent.. he was saying the owner wants 400+ HP not sure what he's going to do with that much but hey

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from my first sprint event (curborough), I managed a 38.56 sec time as my best it's hard to compare against but I think I should be aiming for a 35sec as a goal.. I think a set of slicks may help as I was struggling to get the power down off the start and out of a couple of 2nd gear corners .
    I'd be happy with that time first time out As I said in the other thread, Curborough is slippery, I get wheelspin most of the way around, to the extent that adding 50hp only gained me 1mph on the straight (compared to 14mph extra that I found at the pod). Finish speed was 101mph last time out At Shelsley that same hike in power upped my finish speed from 93 to 101, and that was in the damp.

Also, if it's raining be very careful stopping over the line, I had so much trouble stopping a few years ago that the highest lateral acceleration I saw on the run was in the right hander after the finish - I was looking for soft spots in the hedge. If it's raining I back off on the straight, and brake as I'm going through the finish.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    Also, if it's raining be very careful stopping over the line, I had so much trouble stopping a few years ago that the highest lateral acceleration I saw on the run was in the right hander after the finish - I was looking for soft spots in the hedge. If it's raining I back off on the straight, and brake as I'm going through the finish.
    Tell me about it I ran out of space and had to go up the start straight for two cones be for I ducked back in to the exit lane I really thought I was heading for the grass.. the dry wasn't so scary