Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Immaculate car but car d shell

So weighing up my options and I really like the look of the restored renault 5 currently for sale on here. Car looks perfect for what I am after due to the complete rebuild. However the shell was a cat d write off back in 1998.

So my question is, how much damage will this do to the car in the future?

I'm after something that I can enjoy in the dry summer months but to hold or increase value.

This scares me :-(

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Immaculate car but car d shell

I'd say it all depends what the damage was, it takes very little to Cat -D these cars even back in 1998. Do you know what the damage was or reason for the Cat-D?

If the work has been done well it wouldn't put me off, in my eyes its no different then if a lot of panels have been replaced because of rust

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    I'd say it all depends what the damage was, it takes very little to Cat -D these cars even back in 1998. Do you know what the damage was or reason for the Cat-D?

If the work has been done well it wouldn't put me off, in my eyes its no different then if a lot of panels have been replaced because of rust
    Going in the original build thread, it looks like the rear 1/4 had a knock. Thing is the car is over 6k which is a lot of money, and even though it's going to be awesome, it will always show on the hpi which is a issue with insurance and future resale.

****ing gutted.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you buying it for yourself to have fun with or as an investment?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phase i 16 v turbo View Post
    Are you buying it for yourself to have fun with or as an investment?
    Both!

Obviously you don't by cars to get a return off, but at the same time I don't want to lose anything either.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fastevo1 View Post
    Both!

Obviously you don't by cars to get a return off, but at the same time I don't want to lose anything either.
    Good luck! I lost over 3K when I sold mine lol.

Buy one and have fun with it mate. I was scared to drive mine in the end cos it was so clean.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest for me that wouldn't bother me, but that's just my opinion
    A rear quarter panel replacement is a lot less than what some peoples 5's have had

I know what you mean about the HPI, I think most people don't bother on these cars anymore.
    I'd hate to think the history some of these cars have had, I think most of us come to accept that being nearly 30yrs old they all may have some sort of history.
    Plus you got to remember HPI only shows the known claims, not all the undeclared repairs/accidents

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Good luck! I lost over 3K when I sold mine lol.

Buy one and have fun with it mate. I was scared to drive mine in the end cos it was so clean.
    Did you pay over the odds for it?

My everyday car has not lost a drop in value in the 9 months I have owned it due to buying smart, condition and all the rest.

Ignore that, I see you restored yours.
    Last edited by fastevo1; 20-05-2014 at 18:07.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless its an exotic car never buy a car as an investment, it will always bite you in the arse!

One day these cars will stop climbing with the value and flatline, trouble is the more you pay for one now the less gain there could potentionally be if they ever climb in value

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless its an exotic car never buy a car as an investment, it will always bite you in the arse!

One day these cars will stop climbing with the value and flatline, trouble is the more you pay for one now the less gain there could potentionally be if they ever climb in value
    More the reason why the cat d bothers me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd hate to think the history some of these cars have had, I think most of us come to accept that being nearly 30yrs old they all may have some sort of history.
    Plus you got to remember HPI only shows the known claims, not all the undeclared repairs/accidents
    Amen to that, not many of these were bought to polish and poodle down to Asda on the weekend..

I know what you mean about the whole HPI thing though, it puts others off. Unless you plan to keep the car long term, then I would look elsewhere as it sounds as though you are looking to keep a good re-sale price

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beer View Post
    Amen to that, not many of these were bought to polish and poodle down to Asda on the weekend..

I know what you mean about the whole HPI thing though, it puts others off. Unless you plan to keep the car long term, then I would look elsewhere as it sounds as though you are looking to keep a good re-sale price
    Well 10 years would be the plan.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy it mate. Most are just expensive ornaments nowadays. I'd never buy a cat D as an investment, but I'd buy it for shits n gigs.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

If the price is right and it is in good condition enjoy it for what it is. Most of theses cars have had welding etc, some may have accident damage but not claimed for. The cars I have brought to keep I did HPI checks on and wouldn't have brought if there were any flags on the HPI check.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phase i 16 v turbo View Post
    If the price is right and it is in good condition enjoy it for what it is. Most of theses cars have had welding etc, some may have accident damage but not claimed for. The cars I have brought to keep I did HPI checks on and wouldn't have brought if there were any flags on the HPI check.
    It's the white restored car advertised on here. I don't know if that's a good price or not?

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like you are clearly bothered by it so don't buy it! Problem solved!

For a 6k budget you will find a very good 5. If you are expecting to make a lot of money on it, I highly doubt that this will happen. Even if you keep it 10 years and you are lucky enough to get 10k for it after that time, what with inflation, maintenance, running costs etc then technically you will not have broken even.

Buy a 5 and just enjoy the boost! If you want to make money then invest in stocks, houses or even an ISA etc. .

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

As above. Enjoy it for what it is. The worst cost sometimes is storage cost to keep the cars dry and safe.

Post Thanks / Like

^Mmmm, well classic cars are actually better performers in terms of investment than most of those, reckon I could get 100% return on mine
    Back to the car. That cat D will always be with the car but the work seems to have been done to a high standard and if kept well should keep the condition, if you plan on keeping it for ten years the 6k+ becomes irrelevant as you would have had the value back in spades just for the grin factor and like I said if kept well should easily return your money over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolio View Post
    ^Mmmm, well classic cars are actually better performers in terms of investment than most of those, reckon I could get 100% return on mine
    Back to the car. That cat D will always be with the car but the work seems to have been done to a high standard and if kept well should keep the condition, if you plan on keeping it for ten years the 6k+ becomes irrelevant as you would have had the value back in spades just for the grin factor and like I said if kept well should easily return your money over time.
    I would agree that ISAs and stocks are pretty poor currently but bricks and mortor will always be strong over time.

For example, the first flat that I bought 15 years ago has gone up 500% in value in that time. Also the rental yeld has been massive. Now unless you are talking about a very special classic car, I will remain adamant that classic cars will not appreciate greater than property.