Post Thanks / Like

Renault 19 16v

Hello All

What are peoples thoughts on these cars, I actually like the convertible?! I have seen a few advertised recently in very good condition for as little as 1k!

Post cat they have 136BHP(or there abouts) and are N/A... Can you turbo them easily enough? If not, is it easy to make good power gains with cams, throttle bodies, remap etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Renault 19 16v

Pretty much same engine as the Clio 16v F7p/r.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Loved my cabriolet, took it to the Nurburgring 3 times, loved every moment of it, engine is strong, need to rev it past 3k to get anything from it. The cabriolet is heavy though which made a bit of difference compared to the Chamade I had, though that had been tuned by BB so that might have made a difference. A lot more space to turbo them which should make them even more fun, though parts are getting more difficult to get hold of and value of cars on the rise as there is very little left on the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys guys.

I take it that it only shares it's engine with the Clio then if parts are really hard to get hold of....?

Post Thanks / Like

Its similar engine, there are some changes between them which I know the thermostat housing is one of them. As for rest of car apart from engine I think it will be all different, especially with the cabriolet as they have even more differences between them and the chamade / hatchback. I think I still have some of the little plastic covers for the roof which normally break.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm I am very tempted to get one and turbo it to gain some big power, it's just something a bit different...

The only thing that puts me off is the lack of available parts... It could prove very expensive to maintain.

Post Thanks / Like

To give you an idea

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%...t+19+cabriolet

Though can take that number with a pinch of salt

Post Thanks / Like

Not many at all then!

What would you need to do though if say your clutch went? Could you get an after market one easily enough?

Post Thanks / Like

Parts like that are ok, its more like sills are not available for them as they are part of the structure, rear quarters on them are £900 each and that was about 5 years ago, you cant get front springs for them, but non cabriolet worked ok, doors are interesting to find second hand, the roof is about £350 to replace. Even the seats are cabriolet specific. Though in the summer these are great, and look great with roof down. Wish I could find the picture of my one going round the nurburgring.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be very expensive then if the rust has attacked! Regarding the suspension, are coil overs or anything like that available? Thank you for the info mate.

Post Thanks / Like

These are available, not sure on prices though as never really looked at getting them, what you need to be careful on is that the top mounts are very fragile, majority you may find are already broken, badly welded.

In the end mine was just being patched up just to get through MOTs

Post Thanks / Like

You seem to know an awful lot about these cars and you have highlighted a fair few issues that they may have. Overall though, do you think that it is worth getting one and tuning it??

I personally love the look of them which is why I am considering it...

Post Thanks / Like

I owned a Chamade for about 2 years and then a cabriolet for around 3 years. Done couple of track days with them, plus many trips over to Nurburgring. The engine is a great as proven by many people on here with turbo'ing them, as for if they are worth the money, for the rarity of them I would say yes as cant remember last time I have seen one on the road around here, but as for the car and what you want to go from it, maybe look at the clio / Williams unless you are looking for a larger car which is the plus from the 19. The cabriolet handled the best compared to the hatch and the saloon, which was surprising. Cheap tyres as well which is always a plus being 195/50 so running costs as a standard car was really low.

Post Thanks / Like

Engine bay is easy to work with, including things like the cambelt as plenty of space to get to everything. Though don't advise changing gearbox whilst leaving engine in place, wasn't the most fun job

Post Thanks / Like

I owned a Williams only a few years ago, great little car.

I have taken a deposit on my 5 so that will be gone soon. The wife wants to convert our garage but I still want a toy! I'm looking at the 19 because like you say they are very rare

They do not seem to command much money at all at the moment which is a plus as the wife might actually let me buy one! I would keep it standard for a little while and then possibly ship it off to someone like scoff to work his magic.

Post Thanks / Like

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/271463284285?nav=SEARCH

One on eBay here for only £1050... Looks ok but not a lot of Info...

Post Thanks / Like

Did see that the other day, does look nice, had a green cabriolet as well. roof looks in great condition. The front bonnet lip you also need to check for rust. Phase 1 version was mainly around the bonnet vent. Its strong money seeming I sold my one for £270 years ago but they have risen loads lately. If I was on the market would definitely go and look at that one as you are not going to find one which looks that good, but photos can be deceiving.

Post Thanks / Like

I have messaged the guy asking a few questions, I will see what he comes back with...

How close are you to Gillingham? If I did go and look at it, it would be nice to take someone who knows what they are looking at... Only if you are available of course and it's not too far for you..

It all depends on what the owner replies with though and I will ask him about the bonnet etc.

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one I want to get rid of that's been stood for a while, it failed mot as it needs welding on the sills.
    It's a 5 door executive (leather).
    Fairly low milage for its age.
    It was my dads car.
    Would hate to scrap it....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports View Post
    I have one I want to get rid of that's been stood for a while, it failed mot as it needs welding on the sills.
    It's a 5 door executive (leather).
    Fairly low milage for its age.
    It was my dads car.
    Would hate to scrap it....
    Thanks for the offer Matt but it's the convertible I'm really considering at the moment.

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No worries!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1980 View Post
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/271463284285?nav=SEARCH

One on eBay here for only £1050... Looks ok but not a lot of Info...
    Right I have spoken to the guy and he said that there is no rust on the bonnet or the rear wings. However he did say that there is a bit of flaking underneath which he has started to clear off with a wire brush with the intention of coating it.... Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

He said that one sill on the MOT the year had an advisory due to a very small patch of rust. This was not corrected and this year it went straight through the MOT with no advisories! An over zealous tester the year before maybe?

Also the fuel light is constantly on although the fuel gauge does work as it should and the Drivers window needs help to close...

Any way this car is located in Gillingham, Dorset and not Gillingham, Kent which is not too far from me.... I made a bit of a schoolboy error there!

I am seriously considering buying this car and I was wondering if there was anyone local on here that could possibly do me a massive favour and looking at it for me?? I would of course be eternally grateful.... It is a long way for me to go to only find out that it is not at all as described....
    Last edited by Rob1980; 01-05-2014 at 13:14.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did that with a job I found on the internal job vacancies, I applied for it before realising

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I did nearly mention it was Gillingham, Dorset and not Kent

Hopefully someone is near who can have a look at it for you mate

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I would really appreciate some advice here guys... How much do you think I would be looking at to get the floor and structure welded provided that it is not too bad as per advisories?

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a ph2 for hatch for sale if you're interested ?

It's got a fully forged engine and has been turbo converted, it's had a fair bit of money spent on it over the years, but it's not really my cup of tea. I took it as a part ex, drove it for a few months and it's been sat in storage since.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    I've got a ph2 for hatch for sale if you're interested ?

It's got a fully forged engine and has been turbo converted, it's had a fair bit of money spent on it over the years, but it's not really my cup of tea. I took it as a part ex, drove it for a few months and it's been sat in storage since.
    Hello mate.

Is it a convertible or a hatchback? It sounds ideal but it is only really the convertible that I am possibly looking at getting...

Post Thanks / Like

It's a hatch dude.